Forum Index > Trip Reports > N Mt Evere(s)tt
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 5:43 pm 
I needed to train. Hoping the next two days of recovery before the big Lisa Birthday traverse would be enough, I set off from camp, having poked my head out the shelter door and discovered the weather was near perfect for a conditioner. I set out from the jumpoff point, armed with the ten essentials: Fire starter (lithium battery in my phone), extra food (package of gum), extra clothes (windbreaker), first aid (cell phone), map (smart phone), headlamp (iPhone), sun protection (Pacific Northwest weather), but no TP and a complete lack of sense. Campground vehicle, almost big enough to carry our tent.
So I headed south, and found myself on the eastern part of California (St).
I could spy Colby Col way off to the west, but had to traverse Wetmore without my rain jacket. However, it was a magnificent sight from this high point and I could see all the way to Port Gardner bay. Just being in the California sun was reason enough for this conditioner, but I had big plans to tuck in some peaks. My goal was North Everett Point. So I had to drop downhill. It was confusing with trails going every which way. I hiked using pure instinct on which way to go, but made a few errors en route.
I was feeling a little Ruckered out but managed to get to the base of the Summit of Everett. I could see a potential blue route weakness in the massif that might tease out, but figured this summit might be for another day.
It was a pretty easy traverse along Rucker Ridge to the next one, HealthFitness Peak. Early in this trip, I already had been so dang close to two named summits! Really I was just after North Everett Point, so these were bonus peaks that I orphaned.
I only saw two other climbers all day. This guy had just dropped his ice axe, not to mention his muffler. He had been stopped by a log and could not Hewitt.
I stopped for a moment to check out a new newly issued federal bond.
Along the way was the 1901 Asa Collins cabin, an early pioneer who spent some time capturing Heides before becoming a driver of piles.
I had managed to avoid Wall, which Colby very hard to do without a rope, but then ran into the southern Federal wall, rated at class 4. Holy moly, I was without crampons, harness, slings, or even hiking poles. How would I get up this monster? At least 15% grade, my heart rate was pegged at zone 4 (threshold) and sometimes into zone 5 (anaerobic). I don't know how I made it, as I think I may have passed out somewhere on the ascent. I definitely don't recall any of this pitch.
I stopped to rest at a borrow pit.
I spied a boot path on climber's left near a zig-zag in the trail. Fortunately, due to the corona virus, no Florist Service personnel were about and I got away with it. Boy was it steep. Climbers have one thing on their mind -- the summit -- and scoff at mere switchbacks. Sweat pouring off my brow, I managed to scale this tricky class 2 section. I know most people think class 2 is easy, but in my seventh decade things are not as easy as they were a year or two ago.
The climber's path, although arduous, ended up at Charles Lake. I snagged a quick photo and ate my emergency food. I would have dropped down to the lake nshore for a drink, but forgot my Sierra cup.
Not far away is a popular climbing area and circus equipment.
Having attained a local high point, I determined it was actually a false summit. Darn the luck. I had to get through a tricky bushwack in Jackson gully, and found it was infinitely hard to climb over the crux move at the locked gate. I was forced to abandon this short cut and took the long route on the Federal trail.
Fortunately, the trail had a nice bridge that spanned Mukiteo Blvd Creek, which was totally dry.
Finally I was nearing the North Everett summit. The final pitch was super steep, but fortunately an earlier person had kicked steps up the slope.
I finally reached the flat, wide summit capable of an entire playground. I found my second crazy climber trying to ascend via Ski Jump hanging meadows.
The summit area can be quite popular with its lake replete with diving board, lounge chairs, and plenty of prayer flags.
After a bit of a wander trying to ascertain the true summit, I think I found the highest stump on the peak. Colored yellow to demarcate it from other less significant stumps, I was absolutely on the true summit. It lacks a climbing register, there's no evidence of a lookout, and no cairn. It's interesting to note that the City of Everett's surveyors completely blew it. 48th Street is on latitude 47.96°! Y'know, they coulda got it right. And we won't talk about the
Well, I was getting pretty bushed after all the miles and elevation gain. However, it seemed a worthwhile detour to see one of the few Sequoia trees in Evere(s)tt
After dropping down into the more level terrain, I started to Hoyt and it Colby a much longer day. Getting through the boulders on Rockefeller was a Paine. But I got a second wind and started feeling my Oakes, so with horse-to-the-barn syndrome setting in, I managed to survive the last steps back to camp. There was a rare sighting of a Carnegie Library at Heide Hill, but I managed to snap a quick photo as it zoomed by.
I was starting to wonder if I'd Everett, as I passed Golden Arches (two peaks to climb another day), but camp wasn't far away.
Stumbling into camp with daylight left, but little energy, I spied a fellow camper working on leveling out their garden, unzipped the front door, and crashed for an hour before writing up this trip report. I'm now working on a freeze-dried dinner of pasta, legumes, and a tall glass of chardonnay.
Stats: Elevation gain: 601' Miles: 7.25 H2H time (I mean tent to tent): 2:08, FKA fo sho'

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 8:22 pm 
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Foxpaw

Foxpaw
PostWed Apr 01, 2020 10:44 pm 
Epic! smile.gif

daffish

daffish
PostThu Apr 02, 2020 7:22 am 
Strong work! I would be even more impressed if I found out you did it without supplemental oxygen. wink.gif

"Be moderate in everything, including moderation" Horace Porter
RichP

RichP
PostThu Apr 02, 2020 7:32 am 
You are my idol. biggrin.gif

Walkin' Fool

Walkin' Fool
PostThu Apr 02, 2020 9:49 am 
So good!! Thanks for that! smile.gif

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Apr 02, 2020 10:12 am 
The planning and expert route finding astounds me, and the amazing photo documentation.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Apr 02, 2020 10:40 am 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Finally I was nearing the North Everett summit. The final pitch was super steep, but fortunately an earlier person had kicked steps up the slope.
up.gif hockeygrin.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Apr 02, 2020 12:06 pm 
the gravel pit was my favorite!

Art is an adventure.
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 8:04 am 
embarassedlaugh.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
ngie

ngie
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 11:03 am 
Quote:
After dropping down into the more level terrain, I started to Hoyt and it Colby a much longer day. Getting through the boulders on Rockefeller was a Paine. But I got a second wind and started feeling my Oakes, so with horse-to-the-barn syndrome setting in, I managed to survive the last steps back to camp. There was a rare sighting of a Carnegie Library at Heide Hill, but I managed to snap a quick photo as it zoomed by.
Oh the puns! I'm dying here!