Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 1:14 am 
up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:18 am 
Took a little spin around the neighborhood yesterday. Mainly I wanted to check out the North Fork Tolt road, which I had just learned was paved. While I originally intended to follow it through to the North Fork Snoqualmie and all the way to North Bend, private timber property signs suggested this wouldn't be legal. And anyway an additional 20 miles on gravel would have killed me. But I'd really like to find out if there's a legit way to do this.
96 mi, 5700 ft gain.  Clockwise
96 mi, 5700 ft gain. Clockwise
I took the high road
I took the high road
Start of North Fork Road
Start of North Fork Road
Phelps
Phelps
Gated crossing of North Fork Tolt River
Gated crossing of North Fork Tolt River
Is this legit?  I turned around, not wanting to risk it
Is this legit? I turned around, not wanting to risk it
This gate wasn't closed when I passed through 15 minutes ago.  Spooky!
This gate wasn't closed when I passed through 15 minutes ago. Spooky!
Turning off Hwy 203 onto Neal Rd
Turning off Hwy 203 onto Neal Rd
Snoqualmie River
Snoqualmie River
Mt Si
Mt Si
Fall City bridge
Fall City bridge
New bike path under 520
New bike path under 520
Comments on various road sections: Highway 520 from Lake City to Lake Forest Park: Avoids the ongoing covid party on the Burke Gilman Trail. Bus lane for part of it, a little cramped in places but not terrible (and downhill, so it's over soon) BGT from Log Boom Park to Sammamish River Trail start: Fairly wide and sparsely populated but I hopped over to adjacent roads where possible (note: portions of the BGT and SRT may be closed to non-essential use; research before riding) Riverside Dr: Always a more efficient alternative to the north end of the SRT. Very little traffic NE 175th St: There's a new bike lane on this section (technically you're on Hwy 202 here) 131st Ave NE: Multi-lane with curb, but very light traffic these days NE 171st St, NE 173rd: Climb forever 175th, 172nd: Hilly, pleasant NE 165th St: Has a real nice country feel. The bit near Basset Pond was still a little flooded. In winter I've had to ride through a few inches of water Woodinville-Duvall Rd: A fair amount of traffic, but adequate shoulder. Normally I'd take the Old Woodinville-Duvall Rd detour. After the road hits the valley floor, things get a little tight NE Cherry Valley Rd: Little shoulder, but not too much traffic. Saw two hawks fighting over a squirrel in midair somewhere around here NE North Fork Rd: Highlight of the trip. Gated to public traffic, you only pass the occasional logging truck or official vehicle. It's about 5 miles gate to gate, and you gain a total of 900 ft and lose 600. No place to park really, so make sure you can get here under your own power. Note you can head W as well but that way isn't paved. Kelly Rd: fine Highway 203: Unfortunately, this section is really bad for biking. Fast traffic with virtually no shoulder. I could have turned W for a minute and hopped on the Snoqualmie Valley trail, although it's not paved and is currently closed. Saving grace was a one-way portion of the highway right after I turned onto it, with an automated light set up. So after that the traffic came through in spurts, and I could get out of the way as a bolus raced through. It's nice through Carnation but then gets icky again Neal Rd SE: An amazing road, don't miss it. Have to lift your bike over the barrier. Smooth, flat, pastoral, zero traffic Redmond Fall City Rd: It's a little trafficy coming out of Fall City but has a shoulder and if you turn onto 308th like I did you don't have to be on it for very long Issaquah Fall City Rd: Quite nice on its eastern end, almost no traffic. After it merges with Duthie Hill Rd it gets busier Front St: It's always fun riding through a freeway exchange and trying to figure out which lane to be in and where people are merging from; you pretty much just pedal as hard as you can and hope you don't get hit Issaquah Hobart Rd: Heavy traffic and shoulder is a little tight in spots but it's a common bike route May Vally Rd: Mostly nice, light traffic but there are some tight spots 116th St: This is a delightful little roller coaster of a long residential street in Renton, with only a few annoying stop signs. From here you glide down into the Renton valley and hop on the standard Lake WA Loop, which I won't describe because anyone who does long rides around Seattle will be familiar with it. strava link if you're a member

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 9:58 am 
My girlfriend and I have both been out of work for nearly a month already. Luckily, we are fortunate in the fact that my parents live up in Friday Harbor and were happy to take us in. Sheltering in place on San Juan Island sure beats doing it at our apartment in Queen Anne. My days have been spent biking and hiking around the island, and having an early happy hour most days. cool.gif
San Juan is good for elevation gain on the bike
San Juan is good for elevation gain on the bike
San Juan Fox
San Juan Fox
beer break at the county park
beer break at the county park
beer break at South Beach
beer break at South Beach

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 10:20 am 
neek wrote:
Took a little spin around the neighborhood yesterday.
Strong work, Nick! Why didn't you just tool around a little longer to check the century box? cool.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
neek

neek
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 11:10 am 
Not a bad place to be stuck, Fletcher. Epic ride.
Bosterson wrote:
Strong work, Nick! Why didn't you just tool around a little longer to check the century box? cool.gif
I was wondering if someone would ask. For me: 1) the mile is an arbitrary unit of length, 2) 100 is a particularly boring number expressed in a particularly boring base, 3) I wasn't paying attention to the track and had no idea how long it would end up being, 4) I'm not a box-checker, 5) another 4 ft would have killed me, let alone 4 miles, 6) I knew Fletcher would probably post his century, and didn't want anyone to think I was trying to compete smile.gif (I wonder who the first to post 256 km will be...)

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 1:25 pm 
Hi Neek. I have not realized that one can enter North Fork Tolt Road, I live nearby and I always read this sign is that all entry is forbidden. Can I jog/bike on it without any permits? That would be great for me.

JimK

JimK
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 6:06 pm 
I took a little walk over Queen Anne Hill and back and over and back and up and back. 11 miles worth. Here are a few photos:

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:41 pm 
JimK wrote:
I took a little walk over Queen Anne Hill and back and over and back and up and back. 11 miles worth. Here are a few photos:
Very nice, JimK. I appreciate seeing the views from the Other side over there. wink.gif ~z

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostWed Apr 08, 2020 8:50 pm 
Neek, I lived out that way for many years and used to take my kids on their ponies up to the North Fork Bridge, which always was gated. You can follow a little path down to the river and have lunch on some of those big slabby rocks. It is a lovely spot. smile.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 12:35 pm 
JimK wrote:
What's the black glass building to the north of the old Safeco (now UW) building? I swear it wasn't there last week.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
JimK

JimK
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 12:57 pm 
Kim, looks like the is "The M". Located at 47th and Brooklyn with 24 stories. Opening this fall. I had not noticed it until I took a walk and saw it a week earlier. The M

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 2:48 pm 
Thanks Jim, I thought I was the only one who hadn't seen the building; having a moment. You know; one of those moments. crazy.gif Can't figure out why they named it The M, unless it's "millionaire mommy and daddy put me here." Cool looking building.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Dick B

Dick B
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 4:39 pm 
My brother and I rented a basement apartment at 42nd & Brooklyn when we were at the U. Just up the street was an IGA store, so the black building must be about at that location. Our apt. had one window that looked out on the sidewalk. All you could see were people's feet going by. So the UW building is student housing and the black one private apartments? Where could I find some history about the old gas works on Lake Union?

JimK

JimK
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 4:48 pm 
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 8:24 pm 
Dick B wrote:
So the UW building is student housing and the black one private apartments? Where could I find some history about the old gas works on Lake Union?
The UW bought the Safeco building (or leased it) when their Evening Degree and other administrative offices burned (that building was on 25th & something, across-ish from U Village-ish). Anyway, the UW needed more space. The M is student housing; looks kinda upscale according to the video Jim posted.