Forum Index > Gear Talk > Comparing apps and resources used for trip planning and backcountry navigation
Previous :: Next Topic  
RobinBaker

RobinBaker

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 9:04 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Quote:
It's also still slow to load the Mapbuilder tiles at the appropriate resolution - it takes a little bit to fill in and then resolve into whatever level of zoom you're using. (This also happens with the Mapbuilder layer on the website, so it seems like it's something to do with Mapbuilder itself.)

Did you pre-load the map tiles to your phone, or were you relying on wi-fi or cell network? Normally you would have the pre-chosen tiles and layers cached on your phone so you could use the maps in areas without wi-fi or cell coverage. That should speed things up.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Bosterson

Bosterson

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 9:46 am 
RobinBaker wrote:
Did you pre-load the map tiles to your phone, or were you relying on wi-fi or cell network?

It's slow in both, mostly when you move the map to a completely new area. I have the tiles presaved; the phone I use outside is an old phone I've dedicated to hiking that doesn't have service. I also have the Caltopo app on my regular (newer) phone and just turned off wifi and tried it with saved tiles and it did load and re-resolve a bit faster, so it may also be that my old phone is just too old and slow now (which is the case with other apps it runs). PDF maps are still basically instantaneous though since the whole map is one picture it loads at once.

--------------
We must move forward, not backward; upward, not forward; and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 5:09 pm 
After you've planned a route in CalTopo, can you easily get it into a Garmin sports device?
RobinBaker

RobinBaker

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 11:52 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
After you've planned a route in CalTopo, can you easily get it into a Garmin sports device?

CalTopo can export in GPX and KML formats. Can your "Garmin sports device" import either of those formats?
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 11:22 pm 
Iíve done it with a Garmin 500. Pretty easy.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostMon Apr 27, 2020 10:12 am 
I think mine eats gpx files too.  Thanks for clarifying!

Now the question is whether I can get a gpx into Garmin Connect as a course so I can transfer it over the air.   smile.gif
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > Comparing apps and resources used for trip planning and backcountry navigation
  Happy Birthday Locutus, coldrain108!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: