Forum Index > Gear Talk > Anybody use shake dry gtx?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 10:36 am 
If so, I'm curious what its purpose is for you, when you'd choose to bring or wear it. I bought a shake dry jacket in spring of 2019. They had just released the new colors, so mine was half price. I got it for skiing, high intensity like a hard run. Breathability is fantastic, durability not so much. I took a hairpin too fast, and the jacket was no longer waterproof. Manufacturer replaced it for a very small fee. I'm pretty sure shake dry won't tolerate pack straps, so it's not for hiking in. Mine is a trim fit, I can't layer much under it. Works great for road cycling. I'd love to hear about how other people use theirs.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
schifferj

schifferj
PostSat May 02, 2020 9:19 am 
I have two of them. The first is an Arcteryx Norvan SL which I use almost exclusively for cycling. I've had it for almost three years now and it still works as well as it did when brand new. I did a tour of the San Juan Islands in 2018 and got rained on a lot and it worked perfectly. Oft times I would find my jersey and/or fleece a bit damp from perspiration but never have I found condensation on the inside of the jacket. The second one is a Northface Hyperair. While I normally wear a size medium I bought this one in size large to allow me to put more layers under it. I was fortunate as I found it on a cut out rack in REI and paid little more than a song for it. Although it is not recommended by NF for wear under a pack I do just that and it has become my go-to for backpacking. I do take a little extra time to smooth out the wrinkles under the pack straps. So far I've had no problems with excessive wear in places where the pack straps contact the jacket. The Hyperair has two pockets which could conceivably be opened for some venting if needed. It also has one of the zippers that seals the name of which escapes me. Both are uber light weight and appear to be quite fragile. Kinda like putting on a potato chip bag. Not sure I would want to do any heavy bush whacking in either jacket but I've not had any problems hiking along brushy trails. They are both truly "shake dry" - when the water beads up you can give the sleeves a shake or snap the hem to get rid of water and they never, ever wet out. I know that gore had come out with one that was specifically made for wear under a pack but it seems to have been discontinued.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message