Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > gas price discrepancy?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 8:00 am 
Why is gas $2.69 at my local gas station while in Cle Elum, regular unleaded can be had for $1.54? I don't get it.... confused.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 8:44 am 
A combination of lower demand for fuel because people worldwide are staying home and some sort of "price war" between Saudi Arabia and Russia. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/gas-prices-drop-to-their-lowest-levels-in-four-years-but-for-many-people-theres-nowhere-to-go-2020-03-31

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:06 am 
But aren't folks staying home in Seattle and Western Washington too? Why the difference?

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 9:43 am 
Freedom! In Mexico where the government owns/regulates the gas stations fuel prices are very consistent. Here in the US stations are free to set the price at the pump as they please. We were in a mountain hut in BC for a week when the "stay home" directive was issued. We emerged into a different world. The drive home was strange. I-90 was practically empty. I think demand for fuel is way way down and perhaps more so in rural areas were a good chunk of their fuel sales are to travelers.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 10:51 am 
lookout bob wrote:
Why is gas $2.69 at my local gas station while in Cle Elum, regular unleaded can be had for $1.54? I don't get it.... confused.gif
It's my understanding that the family that owns those two stations undercuts everyone else and then draws down the price at Safeway across the street and Storey's at the east end of town. I am not complaining!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 11:20 am 
Yes, Cle Elum has some great gas prices. Do they import their gas directly from Texas? I call the Storey's place "Scary Gas" because the station looks so run down. But the gas price is right at Storeys. The Shell Station at the truck stop east of North Bend sometimes features lowish prices. A good place to fill up before heading into the high price environs of Seattle. Gas stations and refiners love to rip off people in the city of Seattle. However, greed has its limits - the Chevron near me finally lowered their price for regular from $3.69 to $3.39. Time to party!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 11:27 am 
Don't expect the very cheap gas to last. DUBAI/MOSCOW/WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump said on Thursday he had brokered a deal with top crude producers Russia and Saudi Arabia to cut output and arrest an oil price rout amid the global coronavirus pandemic, though details of how cuts would work were unclear. Trump said the two nations could cut output by 10 to 15 million barrels per day (bpd) - an unprecedented amount representing 10% to 15% of global supply, and one that would require the participation of nations outside of OPEC and its allies. ... Trump said he spoke with both Russian President Vladimir Putin and Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman on Thursday. "I expect & hope that they will be cutting back approximately 10 Million Barrels, and maybe substantially more which, if it happens, will be GREAT for the oil & gas industry!" Trump wrote on Twitter. https://finance.yahoo.com/news/trump-says-brokered-deal-saudi-155604326.html

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 5:02 pm 
Thank god gas prices are going back up! So how many days per gallon everyone getting these days?

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 5:16 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Thank god gas prices are going back up! So how many days per gallon everyone getting these days?
Can't remember when I last filled it up. I've got a whopping 2500 miles on the Tacoma so far. I worry about it just sitting so I took it out for a 10 mile drive the other day. Hoping to keep things lubed up and charged up doing that. Another worry is that a squirrel will move in and take up residence in the engine. Scary times. Since I took the sand tubes out, gas mileage has increased by a mile or so per gallon.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 6:00 pm 
Randito wrote:
Freedom! In Mexico where the government owns/regulates the gas stations fuel prices are very consistent. Here in the US stations are free to set the price at the pump as they please. We were in a mountain hut in BC for a week when the "stay home" directive was issued. We emerged into a different world. The drive home was strange. I-90 was practically empty. I think demand for fuel is way way down and perhaps more so in rural areas were a good chunk of their fuel sales are to travelers.
Freedom rocks.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 6:01 pm 
whitebark wrote:
Yes, Cle Elum has some great gas prices. Do they import their gas directly from Texas? I call the Storey's place "Scary Gas" because the station looks so run down. But the gas price is right at Storeys. The Shell Station at the truck stop east of North Bend sometimes features lowish prices. A good place to fill up before heading into the high price environs of Seattle. Gas stations and refiners love to rip off people in the city of Seattle. However, greed has its limits - the Chevron near me finally lowered their price for regular from $3.69 to $3.39. Time to party!
Before ripping on producers, note who makes far, far more money on your fuel than they do in profit. It's on a sticker on the pump.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
xman_reborn

xman_reborn
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 6:44 pm 
Riverside Laker wrote:
Thank god gas prices are going back up!
You're a smart guy. Many other people are saying this as well.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 7:59 pm 
don't "stock up" on self-serve unleaded for your riding lawnmower - the ethanol content in current gasoline goes whacky in a pretty short time and causes all kinds of problems with small engines..... like: lawnmowers

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
whitebark

whitebark
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 8:05 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Before ripping on producers, note who makes far, far more money on your fuel than they do in profit. It's on a sticker on the pump.
Yes, state gas taxes are high in Washington, but that does not explain the extreme price differences occurring right now...over a factor of two between Cle Elum and my local gas station. One cause of this differential is that refiners use elaborate zone pricing and charge higher amounts for gas supplies to stations in high income areas like Seattle. High gas prices are not solely due to greedy station owners. The high wholesale gas price, combined with a lot of wealthy gas purchasers who don't shop around much, allows a high retail price level to be sustained. Independent sellers such as Fred Meyer and Safeway can dodge around the refiner price zoning to a certain extent, so the prices there can be significantly lower in Seattle. The QFC at 145th is selling at $2.64 though that is still high compared to many areas in the state. Indian run stations on reservations seem to be able to charge lower prices also - gas at the Swinomish tribal station is $2.19 (Anacortes area). Less taxes, perhaps? It also helps to have a refinery in your back yard that is perhaps trying to get rid of excess inventory. Still, the $1.50 gas in Cle Elum is amazingly cheap - there must be a story behind it. Perhaps they did get a truckload of gas from Texas, which is a low tax state with a lot of refineries. Gas is practically being given away. $1.39 gas in Houston! Yeehaw!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Apr 03, 2020 8:34 pm 
Anyone know what the current Costco price is? I've been avoiding the place for obvious reasons; but also not needing to fill up so much.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood