Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Another music thread: same title, totally different songs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 12:25 am 
The cover song thread was fun. This is just what it sounds like. Songs that share the same title (we can stretch it to make it similar titles) but are totally different and unrelated. Post them side by side for compare and contrast. I have a few to start off with.
(so...apparently the second song is full of innuendo and really isn't about driving? doh.gif )

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 12:31 am 
These 2 are same genre but different enough.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 12:42 am 
The less well known of these 2 definitely came first, not that it matters. Dang Disney movies always ripping other people off. rolleyes.gif
Dragonette has a few of these. They weren't first on this one. Tupac has another version but I ain't posting it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 12:53 am 
Looks like there's about a million versions of this song. This isn't even the original, but it's from the same era (early 40s). Ray Charles and George Jones both recorded it 2 decades later.
this is a different song
so is this (I just stumbled on it but it's worth sharing; this is Lee Ann Womack's daughter, apple didn't fall far from the tree)

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:11 am 
Okay, 1 more for now, I'll probably think of more another day. Curious to see what all you other music lovers come up with. This time I'm stretching a little. Song titles are similar, but the title of one is the same as the name of the other band (spelled different though). Confused yet?

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:25 am 
Oops, I lied. These 2 are very different from each other.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 12:02 am 
This didn't seem to catch on. shakehead.gif Come on music fans, I know ya'll can come up with some more. I dare anybody to come up with a bigger contrast between 2 different songs with the same title than this:

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 2:47 pm 
I'm not giving up! Another big contrast, both stylistically and content. The rockers wrote an unabashedly romantic song while the pop singer wrote a song telling all about how she won't write a love song.
edit--as a side note, power ballads really need to make a comeback; so good in the 80s and early 90s, I don't think they really exist anymore

InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 5:12 pm 
Metallica “One”
U2 “One”
Three Dog Night “One”
And best of all Chris Cornell’s mash-up

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 3:43 am 
Thanks for playing along InFlight! up.gif I think there are a bunch of songs with this title, but I'm sticking to a couple I'm familiar with (not to mention the Stephen Foster song "Hard Times Come Again No More" that has been covered an endless number of times). This quite frankly I think is one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. It's simple, but it's perfect.
Sadly I saw this band in concert once and it was one of the few occasions where I felt like they sounded better recorded than live.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 4:08 am 
This song is REALLY OLD. Nobody knows quite how far it goes back. Leadbelly did one of the earliest recorded versions, but it predates him. It's been done by a who's who of country, bluegrass and folk musicians. I listened to several versions, I liked this one.
Here's Widowspeak again. This is their first song that I heard. I love the studio version, but this live rooftop version has a nice groove to it. If they had sounded like this when I saw them, I would've been perfectly happy.
Cheating just a little, but add 1 more word to the title and here's another completely different song. There must be something about pine trees.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 28, 2020 1:43 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
This song is REALLY OLD. Nobody knows quite how far it goes back. Leadbelly did one of the earliest recorded versions, but it predates him. It's been done by a who's who of country, bluegrass and folk musicians. I listened to several versions, I liked this one.
I used to have the Leadbelly version of this on vinyl, which is possibly one of the earliest recordings of this song which (as you note) goes back a long way. While not in keeping with the theme of your thread here, I thought these covers by Joan Baez and Bob Dylan were worth mentioning. Really like the bluegrass version you dug up there - nothin' quite like a little mandolin solo. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 8:24 pm 
OK, Olderthan - I see how you're finding these. biggrin.gif
I'll throw in a little interesting history on the Cline version ...

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 10:17 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
OK, Olderthan - I see how you're finding these. biggrin.gif
up.gif

Washakie

Washakie
PostFri May 01, 2020 1:18 pm 
How Can I Miss You When You Won't Go Away? Not appropriate for the topic, but I don't often get to share it.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie