Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Quarantine movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:02 am 
Three Peaks (2017) An unmarried urban couple and the woman's young son from a prior marriage go on vacation to a cabin in the Dolomites, carrying weightless backpacks apparently full of canned goods. The raw nature of their surroundings represents the mythic struggle of the man to win the child's love as a surrogate father. (For his part, the child would like his birth parents to remarry.) Nothing aside from mundane dialogue proceeds to happen for the next hour of this one and a half hour film. The man and child then decide to get up early and hike up a hill to watch the sunrise. The child wanders off and somehow becomes lost (? it is not clear if he's actually lost or just playing hard to get) in wide open terrain with unobstructed sight lines. Tight camera shots keep you guessing where exactly the characters are trying to go or how close they are to each other. A sinister fog rolls in, "clouding" their familial bond. The man manages to fall off a cliff (after first catching himself on... grass?) and either wounds or compound fractures his leg. (He otherwise appears fine and not in pain. The man's wounded and bandaged leg subsequently switches from left to right and back in later scenes.) The child reappears almost instantly, and they proceed to build a fire by lighting tree branches with a pocket lighter. Meanwhile, a SAR group mobilizes using the highly effective "tight cluster" method. After a comfortable night out with the blankie and teddy bear they apparently packed for their short walk up the hill, the child runs off and tricks the man into falling into a frozen lake together. The child then asks the man to promise to leave his mother alone, and leaves the man for dead. The child is found by SAR and his mother, but denies knowledge of the man's whereabouts, completing the perfect crime. The man, meanwhile, swims under the frozen lake and then <symbolism> breaks through the ice </symbolism> to drag himself up onto shore. From afar, the child senses the man prove his valiance, and, having literally just lied about not knowing where the man was, appears to lead the search party in the man's direction. Fin. Overall: Negative two stars Outdoors accuracy: Negative five stars

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:40 am 
hockeygrin.gif It would seem you've set the bar pretty low here. I often suck at getting symbolism in movies. Sounds like you were all over this one. At first I thought this was going to be a thread for movies that include a quarantine as a plot device, but it appears it's any movie viewed while we are all quarantined. I've been watching a ton of movies lately. Most are entertaining yet mediocre, some are bad. Not many really worth writing about. I thoroughly enjoyed "Feast of the Seven Fishes." Hit theaters briefly for the 2019 holiday season. Set in rural Pennsylvania (I think) during the 80s. Italian family, observing the long tradition of preparing and sharing a seafood meal together on Christmas Eve. Nothing groundbreaking about it, but it's just a really pleasant heartfelt movie about people, and family, and traditions. And unexpectedly falling in love with the cute girl from your small town you never knew existed because she's been off at boarding school for forever apparently? rolleyes.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 2:25 am 
Badland (2019) (now airing on Netflix) is every bit as awful as most of the reviews say it is on IMdB. How it got 5.7 stars out of 10 on there is utterly mystifying. It does, however, give me an excuse to use words like "hackneyed" and "vacuous", but I question whether that is a good thing. Veteran Bruce Dern must have really needed money bad to have signed on to this turkey. Two hours of pure, unadulterated awfulness, culminating in a rip-off of a Sergio Leone shoot-out at the end. I'm going back to finish the rest of "Trailer Park Boys". Ricky and Julian and Bubbles have more talent and imagination than the entire cast, crew, and screenwriter that did "Badland". Two hours of my life that would have been better spent picking lint out of my navel. down.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 8:02 am 
Two of note lately: "Fine Lines", another rock/mountain climbing film. But not one focusing on great accomplishments by well known personalities, but more a of wisdom and self reflection. I give it a up.gif up.gif And last night I ran across "God's not Dead". A young man goes up against his first year philosophy professor and stands up for his Christian beliefs against the professor and does a superb job in his debate. Very thought provoking and very well done! Much more to it though, and I give it up.gif up.gif also. And there was the original "Old Man and the Sea", starring Anthony Quinn, which was a good enough watch, and a new title "The Old Man and the Sea - Return to Cuba", the story of an old sailor returning to his home in Cuba after a 50+ year absence. If you like sailing, this is a good one. I positively LOVE the ocean....yet I'm about as far from it as I can get. dizzy.gif Happy Palm Sunday to all, stay safe out there!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 8:06 am 
Ski wrote:
I'm going back to finish the rest of "Trailer Park Boys". Ricky and Julian and Bubbles have more talent and imagination than the entire cast, crew, and screenwriter that did "Badland". Two hours of my life that would have been better spent picking lint out of my navel.
No, Ski, you got those two backwards! lol.gif I really liked Badland, and "trailer park boys" is about as seriously down.gif down.gif as one can get! lol.gif Carry on...you can have all my "trailer park boys" time. lol.gif agree.gif Take good care!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 8:11 am 
When the local library rolled up the sidewalk, I was left with "Isle of Dogs." The plot revolves around dogs quarantined because of the "canine flu" and a vain, authoritarian figure spewing misinformation about it. I had no idea what the movie was about when I got it!

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
UGH

UGH
PostSat Apr 11, 2020 8:02 pm 
Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Apr 11, 2020 10:12 pm 
I asked my brother in NY for some recommendations; somehow even my Netflix backlog of selections seemed kind of "meh" for the mood I've been in. "Here's one right up your alley," he said, "it's also excellent." He was right. The footage shot in the Olympics is particularly stunning. No longer on Netflix; currently available to stream on Amazon.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Apr 11, 2020 10:56 pm 
We saw Parasite on Hulu today and enjoyed it. Wanted to see it first run but got too busy then it was out of theaters. Very well directed and filmed. Subtitles if that bothers you and my Korean is lousy.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 5:43 pm 
Recently saw the latest and umpteenth version of "Little Women." I've actually never seen any of the previous iterations (I think I started the '94 film w/ Winona Ryder but didn't finish it) or read the book, so I can't compare/contrast. Greta Gerwig is rapidly making quite a name for herself as a director, after being an indie queen as an actress. The film centered around a pair of very talented young actresses, Saoirse Ronan and Florence Pugh. Hard to go wrong with those two. I enjoyed the movie. Non linear story telling, which can be challenging and often seems unnecessary, but seemed to work well here. This was several weeks ago, but I thoroughly enjoyed the documentary/travelogue "Dear Albania" featuring Eliza Dushku. It was short and sweet, informative. I knew next to nothing about the country, and got a nice overview. She and her small entourage visited about a half a dozen cities, in I think 4 different countries. It's interesting that Albania really extends beyond the borders of the country. Kosovo is almost exclusively made up of ethnic Albanians and there is a significant population in Montenegro and North Macedonia as well.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 7:34 pm 
I would say that if you want to watch something almost as bad as what was originally posted, Tin Star, a series that is set in Canada in the Rockies, would be good. It was so bad, I kept watching it to see how they could make it worse, and they did not disappoint. Think Mennonite girls with paintball guns shooting violent drug baddies. That's just one example. There are many other bizarre and violent acts in the series.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 8:31 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
It was so bad, I kept watching it to see how they could make it worse, and they did not disappoint. Think Mennonite girls with paintball guns shooting violent drug baddies.
up.gif This is the kind of thing I was originally going for - going MST3K on the terrible movies we end up watching since we're all stuck inside due to these trying quarantined circumstances. smile.gif

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Apr 15, 2020 9:51 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
It was so bad, I kept watching it to see how they could make it worse, and they did not disappoint. Think Mennonite girls with paintball guns shooting violent drug baddies.
up.gif This is the kind of thing I was originally going for - going MST3K on the terrible movies we end up watching since we're all stuck inside due to these trying quarantined circumstances. smile.gif
Yea, but.....I watched it a year or two ago. Oh joy. Looks like there'll be a season three. People also ask Is there a season 3 tin star? When is Tin Star back for season 3? Following the series two finale, Sky commissioned the third and final series of Tin Star in March 2019, and filming began in Liverpool in July 2019. An air date has not yet been confirmed but the six-part drama is expected to arrive in 2020 – watch this space! I wonder how they can make it worse.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 5:02 am 
Well, I loved the book and of course didnt think to much of the movie, but there is always Steven Kings the Stand.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 10:13 am 
I think I should try to watch this one because it was filmed in Wenatchee and surrounding areas. It looks like a typical Gary Busey bad movie.