Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Quarantine movie reviews
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 2:47 pm 
The Outlaw Josie Wales on History Channel, we were in Paria Canyon, Utah where much of it was filmed a couple weeks ago. Eastwood took over direction. One of the most highly regarded westerns of the 70’s. Reminded me of Mel Gibson in The Patriot and Braveheart.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 9:51 am 
"You gonna pull those pistols, or just whistle Dixie"

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 10:05 am 
Another really bad and odd movie is Bloodhook. I was first exposed to it by a friend who was excited because it was filmed in and around her hometown of Hayward, WI. Years later, I had to take a daytrip to there to see the giant Muskie. Anyway, the movie is a low budget horror flick involving teenagers, tourists from Illinois, a Korean war vet, a survivalist, and the Navy's? array of low frequency things, and giant fish lures. There is cheating in a fishing contest, loon calling, and bad rock and roll music. It don't get much worse. Respect da lake...

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 12:40 pm 
I don't really get this thing of seeking out the worst possible movies you can find. I guess I'll stick to the other long running movie review thread rather than this one.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 1:03 pm 
I watched "Philadelphia" on Netflix the other night. I'd never seen it. I found it uplifting; given the rearview mirror perspective of all the positive changes since then. I think I'll check out whatever other Hanks flicks are available to stream. Given our divisiveness that know no bounds - even during a medical crisis - I could use some Mr. Rogers to counter the ugliness of the daily news. wub.gif flowers.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostThu Apr 23, 2020 5:47 pm 
Planet of the Humans. https://planetofthehumans.com And it's free.

Washakie

Washakie
PostThu May 07, 2020 5:21 pm 
Natural Born Killers. Go Skagnetti.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 07, 2020 6:34 pm 
My gut reaction at the end of The Lighthouse (2019, Directed by Robert Eggers - Starring Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson - now on Netflix) was about the same as when I first saw David Lynch's "Blue Velvet": as in "What the HELL?" Filmed with a myopic 1930s "Baltar" lens, you're sucked into a surreal nightmare world with two men unable to escape each other, the tiny island they're on, or their own psychosis. It currently has a rating of 7.6 on IMdB, but internet movie ratings aren't really much of an indicator of anything. The reviews swing back and forth between "love it" and "worst movie of all time" - there does not seem to be much in-between on this one. I'm going to predict this is going to become one of those weird "cult classic" pieces of cinema, proudly joining the ranks of "Eraserhead" and "Resevoir Dogs" and "El Mariachi". Not for the weak of mind or stomach. Definitely not "first date" stuff. Best served with a good red or other psychotropic substance.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 07, 2020 6:53 pm 
Hey, Lynda took me to Eraserhead on our first movie date, and I fell in love.❤️

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu May 07, 2020 8:03 pm 
up.gif One of my favorite movies of all time:
Ars Gratia Artis

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 07, 2020 8:48 pm 
What’s you got there sonny?

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostThu May 07, 2020 9:06 pm 
Ski wrote:
The Lighthouse (2019, Directed by Robert Eggers)
I saw that in the theater. Fantastic movie with incredible filmmaking and a tour de force performance by Willem Defoe. up.gif Eggers' previous movie The Witch is also quite good (and weird).

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 12, 2020 4:43 pm 
Finally got around to seeing “Birdbox” on Netflix good film to watch in Pandemic Shelter in place. up.gif up.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue May 12, 2020 8:58 pm 
A friend recently recommended this documentary. The cinematography is excellent. Kind of mind-boggling what it took for these people to create this: the $$, learning curve, logistics. A good mood-lifter to counter the all the nastiness "out there" right now.
edit: An extended podcast interview with the farm's owners. Good stuff.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
NacMacFeegle

NacMacFeegle
PostWed May 13, 2020 6:45 pm 
Watched "Rambo: Last Blood" and did not enjoy it at all. The only other Rambo movie I've seen is "First Blood", which is one of my favorite classic action films. "Last Blood" did not live up to its predecessor at all. Where "First Blood" was exciting from almost the very start, "Last Blood" takes ages to get going, and only really started to seem like an action movie in the last 30 minutes or so. You have to sit through some really depressing and awful bits to get to the good part. Long, dull conversations are not what I look for in a Sylvester Stallone action flick! Also, (spoilers) the part where he lets himself get trapped and beaten to a pulp for no good reason is hard to watch, disappointing, and utterly pointless. It has no impact on the plot and only makes Rambo look like a helpless moron. I guess the end (more spoilers) was OK, there's a cool building montage, and all the bad guys get their just deserts in a variety of horrible ways. However, this brings up another thing I didn't like about the movie - it was too violent, which is a strange thing to say about an action movie like this. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy violent action movies, but one of the great things about "Rambo: First Blood" was that only one guy died in the whole film, and even then it was his own fault for being both evil and careless. It was impressive because the film was no less exciting for the lack of casualties, and it made for a more realistic and compelling film. "Last Blood" felt far less nuanced and well thought out - a much more simplistic and trite good vs. evil action film that gets mired in a boring, depressing, and poorly written plot.

Read my hiking related stories and more at http://illuminationsfromtheattic.blogspot.com/