Forum Index > Trip Reports > Salmon Creek Ravine 04-11-20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Apr 12, 2020 3:09 am 
Salmon Creek Ravine 04-11-20 Salmon Creek Ravine - Burien Parks & Recreation - 88 acres - low-elevation urban dayhike
Ski, in a previous Trip Report on 10-14-08 wrote:
From Ambaum Blvd, go west on 124th to end of 124th to "Dead End" sign at end of road. Do not block driveway. Walk down private driveway to chained entrance of Salmon Creek Ravine. A wide trail ( an abandoned roadbed ) winds down through the 76-acre greenbelt area, an undeveloped second-growth boreal forest similar to Seahurst. There are also a few huge specimens of Madrone. The other end of the trail comes out at the end of a private drive about 100 yards north of the intersection of Shorewood Drive and Shoreview Drive. About mid-way along the trail, a secondary ( and less-used ) trail branches off to the southeast, ending at the intersection of 131st Ave. SW and 16th Ave. SW. That corner of the greenbelt area is over-run with non-indigenous flora because of local residents dumping yard waste. The total trail length is probably less than a mile, but it's a nice little "woodsy" experience in an urban environment. From the trail end at 131st Ave. SW. and 16th Ave. SW, the NE corner of Seahurst Park is only a couple hundred yards south. Best on cold wet days because of the water-treatment plant at the lower end of Salmon Creek.
A good friend of mine sent me these photos a few hours ago after we spoke on the phone. She went down there earlier this afternoon to get out of the house and enjoy the nice weather. Unfortunately it appears to be in pretty bad condition. Pretty sad for such a nice little place that's close to home. The first photo image shows a mudslide at the lower end of the service road.
Salmon Creek Ravine 041120

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Apr 12, 2020 4:11 am 
Ya, homelessness isn’t a problem!

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Zloi

Zloi
PostSun Apr 12, 2020 6:45 pm 
I am always looking for in-city hikes, and as Seattle loudly announced it was closing its parks this weekend, this post grabbed my attention. Also, I happen to live in the area and frequently do the almost contiguous Seahurst Park. The directions to the 124th St entrance are helpful; otherwise, it looks like it’s all private property. I biked to the entrance and locked my bike to a tree while I explored on foot. A short distance down the old road there is a fork. I took the right branch first, and later, after retrieving my bike, biked the left branch. This is a pleasant little ride which emerges practically in somebody’s driveway at the sharp curve on Shorewood Dr. (great views of the Sound from there).
The other trail passes some accumulated garbage with a side trail leading to a currently unoccupied camp site with lots more garbage featuring a gas grill and numerous propane tanks
After winding around and passing more garbage at another former camp site, it sharply drops to a road which runs over a sewer down to a sewage treatment facility (smells well proceed view of it).
Walking the road in the other direction, there are more side trails leading to other encampments, at least two of which were occupied—at least I heard voices though I made no effort to introduce myself. I didn’t walk the road to its start, but from looking at a map, it must be up around Ambaum and 116th. I passed a couple other trails I didn’t follow. Overall, the experience is much like that at Seahurst, except with many fewer visitors. Unless you live in the neighborhood, you probably aren’t going to bother. There’s really no nearby parking for the two entrances I mention.