Forum Index > Gear Talk > What do you guys use for checking in backpacks at the airport
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 9:09 am 
Hey guys, Any of you who air travel with your backpacks, I was wondering what you use to secure them so they don't have problems in the conveyor belt. The past couple times I've duck-taped the straps, but this has been a real pain. My local airport doesn't have those seran-wrap machines that I have seen occasionally in overseas airports. The only other thing I can think of is a supersized duffel bag that the backpack can fit into. I only found one site online that sells these (a company called "military 1st"). It looks like a decent option, but I was wondering if there's any alternatives that I haven't thought of.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 9:24 am 
Most any surplus store has them cheap. They are not really surplus but recent overseas manufacture. Of course you can always get them from pataguchi and the like for $$$.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Most any surplus store has them cheap.
Do you have any specific places to share? I might have to go this route. I bought one from that "Military 1st" site, but it looks like they're shipping is delayed. I don't know if I'll receive it in time for my trip.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 9:44 am 
We got ours from the place in downtown Seattle that used to have a huge rocket out front. Do not know if it still exists. They last forever.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 10:08 am 
Thanks for that info.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 10:30 am 
Mostly I've just cinched down the waist band, shoulder straps and all the accessory straps and secured the ends with duct tape. I also attach a heavy duty neon green ID tag to the haul loop as well as insert a contact id card in the head flap. I carry on a daypack with stuff I'll need in the event that it takes a few days for my checked bag to catch up with me. (One trip to Tel Aviv it took four days for my checked bag to catch up)

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 11:01 am 
What about a combination of zip-ties (the kind cops sometimes use as handcuffs) to cinch R/L straps to each other and to the waist strap, and then buy some cinch-straps that will go around the entire pack to keep the pack straps tight to the sack? (I know REI, and some military surplus sell them.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 7:05 pm 
Difference between an army duffel and a sea bag is one is OD and the other is Navy Blue. We have one of each.

80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 8:11 pm 
Thanks for the suggestions, all good. I'm going to try to go for the duffel bag solution because that would be the easiest and quickest - just throw the backpack in and you're done.

80skeys

80skeys
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 9:18 am 
Randito wrote:
I carry on a daypack with stuff I'll need in the event that it takes a few days for my checked bag to catch up with me. (One trip to Tel Aviv it took four days for my checked bag to catch up)
yeah, every time I go backpacking I get a little nervous about this. Granted, i only fly within the U.S., but it would suck for them to lose the backpack because everything depends on it. Before I travel, I put everything in it - the food, the water filter, the tent, sleeping bag, etc - of course everything I will be carrying on the trail. This time around I'm going to ask if I can carry it on, but it's probably too large.

RatherBOutdoors

RatherBOutdoors
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 3:40 pm 
Before I got a duffel, I used contractor "demo" bags. They are intended for wood, metal, and concrete debris from building sites. They are plenty large, durable, and I think they run a buck or two per bag (although I think you have to buy 10 at a time). https://www.demobags.com/ When I've used these, I've cut holes in the top, reinforced with duct tape, for carrying handles.

Waterman

Waterman
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 6:46 pm 
There is a army navy surplus store just north of the downtown Seattle Patagonia. Same block. Should have what your looking for.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 7:54 pm 
^^^ Same biz has 2 locations, the other in SODO near the old Sears and the Starbucks HQ: http://www.gr8gear.com/ The parking is probably easier at the SODO location. I've picked up some good stuff there.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
80skeys

80skeys
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 3:49 pm 
RatherBOutdoors wrote:
https://www.demobags.com/ When I've used these, I've cut holes in the top, reinforced with duct tape, for carrying handles.
Excellent tip. Thanks.

Washakie

Washakie
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 1:19 am 
Worked at airports half my life. If there is a problem, it is almost always caused by the straps. Tighten down the straps and secure the loose ends with duct tape. Then ask the agent to put it in a tub (the grey plastic containers all ticket counters have). Some airports/airlines have large heavy duty plastic sacks available for sale (mostly overseas). If your pack is too large for the tub, you will want a smaller pack. You will fill the large pack with heavy stuff you don't need just because you can. (The same reason a dog licks it's ass). Long ago I found an oversized duffle sack that holds my pack. No more problem, except having to store it for my return or lugging it along.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie