Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trip Report Guidelines in the Covid Era
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 6:02 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
follows the pattern of recreation areas getting hit
This is the first I'm hearing about a pattern like this. Is there a reference you could share?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FiveNines

FiveNines
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 6:18 pm 
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 6:30 pm 
Guardian news article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/04/rural-resort-towns-coronavirus-covid-19-holiday

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
rubywrangler

rubywrangler
PostThu Apr 16, 2020 9:16 pm 
Thanks for the links. I had read about Sun Valley but not the other towns.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 11:02 am 
Don't recreate in Idaho. Idaho travel restriction from Spokesman Review

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RichP

RichP
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 11:48 am 
Unlike the Sheriff just to the north in Bonner County who still thought it was a hoax in early April. https://www.krem.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/bonner-co-sheriff-urges-governor-to-reconsider-stay-home-order/293-2c64dcff-34da-4109-9255-66b2502c553b

schifferj

schifferj
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 6:48 pm 
Unless you’re from Idaho. Perhaps we should close Washington for non essential travel by Idaho residents.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 10:08 pm 
So I heard that Snohomish county boat launches were closed, then last week some one said they are back open, now today another guy say's they are all still closed. Anyone know what is correct? I went to this website and not sure if I am reading it's meaning as only the 4 boat launch areas mentioned are open. https://snohomishcountywa.gov/850/Boating-Launching This is confusing! confused.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Apr 17, 2020 10:36 pm 
I drove by the south Lake Stevens boat launch a couple of days ago, it appeared to be open, there were a couple of people there and boats on the water and didn't see any closed signs.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 7:53 am 
kitya wrote:
"U.S. Forest Service - Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest Bruce-There are many other places to safely park on roadsides where you can legally do so and then walk from there. Others have been biking into. Most FS roads are still open and there are many places to park. you just can't park at trailheads because that was encouraging crowds." The whole idea that it is somehow a loophole to go hike on the trail in a national forest when it is totally still allowed was always just a targeted misinformation campaign by people who don't like that.
That will probably cause PTSD in the brains of the "don't have any fun" crowd.

Backpackapalooza

Backpackapalooza
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 8:18 am 
Another reason to keep the Trip Reports section open for posting is for people to create and post older trips they might not have previously posted. In fact, I think that would be a lot of fun during this crappy time.

ejain

ejain
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 12:25 pm 
xrp wrote:
That will probably cause PTSD in the brains of the "don't have any fun" crowd.
Would the "don't have any fun" crowd include the growing number of healthcare workers with actual PTSD "in their brains"? I continue to go hiking (cautiously), but don't feel any need to put down people who advocate for even more caution.

jimmy

jimmy
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 6:22 pm 
Anyone noticed that things appear to be "back to normal" this weekend, almost as if everyone decided to break quarantine at the same time? Open stores packed, traffic congestion ticked up and a steady stream of trip reports on sites like wta, seems like any other weekend outside of a global pandemic. Did I miss the memo?

ejain

ejain
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 6:51 pm 
jimmy wrote:
and a steady stream of trip reports on sites like wta
So far today I count 7 trip reports on wta.org: - 2 neighborhood "trip reports" - 2 reports about closed parking lots - 1 report on road conditions - 1 report with old vacation pictures from Australia (really?) - 1 actual trip report! Last year there were 100+ reports for this Saturday. So I'd say still more of a trickle than a steady stream...

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 6:56 pm 
jimmy wrote:
Anyone noticed that things appear to be "back to normal" this weekend, almost as if everyone decided to break quarantine at the same time? Open stores packed, traffic congestion ticked up and a steady stream of trip reports on sites like wta, seems like any other weekend outside of a global pandemic. Did I miss the memo?
It was like that last Saturday. I thought it was just because it was the day before Easter. Significantly more people wearing masks with the downside of it seeming to dramatically lower social distancing IQ.