Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trip Report Guidelines in the Covid Era
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Stephen B

Stephen B
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 7:27 pm 
jimmy wrote:
Anyone noticed that things appear to be "back to normal" this weekend, almost as if everyone decided to break quarantine at the same time? Open stores packed, traffic congestion ticked up and a steady stream of trip reports on sites like wta, seems like any other weekend outside of a global pandemic. Did I miss the memo?
nope. I haven't noticed anything even close to "back to normal"

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 7:52 pm 
Yeah, we went to the supermarket this morning. It still seemed we were doing a recon mission under enemy fire.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 9:13 pm 
ejain wrote:
Would the "don't have any fun" crowd include the growing number of healthcare workers with actual PTSD "in their brains"?
Like this nurse who volunteered to work in NYC to help with the surge there. Pretty painful to watch her relate what it's like in this short video clip. Turn the sound on. Powerful stuff here. Reminds me of the early stuff we were seeing coming out of Italy. Or these nurses in Cameroon who are bewildered and grief-stricken at the death of their leading doctor. Again turn the sound on. My heart goes out to these poor women in such distress. frown.gif ~z

longhair27

longhair27
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 10:16 pm 
How do you justify allowing people to post TR when supposedly your Governor is banning people from even leaving the cities except for 'essential travel'? This forum website has a Locked post about just that very subject. So in reality you are already on the path to total censorship. IF you stop people from posting Trail Reports then at that point this Forum doesn't have any foundation to stand on anymore. It's not up to you to Police people if they want to get outside and do it responsibly. Otherwise you become draconion in nature no pun intended.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Apr 18, 2020 11:24 pm 
We do lock threads when things get out of control. You're correct that is a form of censorship, although the rationale / motivation for locking is quite different than say removing a TR because someone chose to TR a destination I personally wouldn't have. There was some discussion about what was and what wasn't part of the SAH order. You say "supposedly your Governor", which gives the impression you aren't entirely clear yourself. I haven't gone over the order with a magnifying glass but "essential activities" does include hiking in the definition: https://www.governor.wa.gov/sites/default/files/proclamations/20-25%20Coronovirus%20Stay%20Safe-Stay%20Healthy%20%28tmp%29%20%28002%29.pdf
Quote:
I hereby order that all people in Washington State are immediately prohibited from leaving their home or place of residence except to conduct or participate in (1) essential activities, and/or (2) employment in providing essential business services: a. Essential activities permitted under this Proclamation are limited to the following: . . . 4) Engaging in outdoor exercise activities, such as walking, hiking, running or biking, but only if appropriate social distancing practices are used.
It prohibits "multi-person activities" so group hikes would be off limits (unless part of a single household or residential living unit). I don't see anything regarding "essential travel" but I could have missed it.

Gil

Gil
PostSun Apr 19, 2020 9:40 am 
Right now, the IHME model for Washington state predicts fewer than 700 deaths in Washington state. We're at 622-624 as of yesterday's counts (the counties' individual numbers disagree with DOH). And we appear to be adding about 20 deaths per day. Overall case numbers appear to be declining. But the number of people in ICU has not declined.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
timberghost

timberghost
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 5:50 am 
Tom I don't think we want to condone any poaching when you stated "Go ahead and poach if you must, but don't flaunt it here" in the beginning.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 9:59 am 
timberghost wrote:
Tom I don't think we want to condone any poaching when you stated "Go ahead and poach if you must, but don't flaunt it here" in the beginning.
NF trails and land are open. It's not poaching if you park legally (not at a trail head/developed area)

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 12:44 pm 
timberghost wrote:
I read that as acknowledging not condoning. smile.gif

ejain

ejain
PostMon Apr 20, 2020 10:42 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I read that as acknowledging not condoning. smile.gif
To "condone" something means to "allow it while disapproving" (which appears to be the admins' intent in this case), but it can also take on the meaning of "tacit approval" (which is what timberghost is probably concerned about, because that's what it looks like from the outside).

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 12:48 am 
because we don't already see enough debates here about semantics, right? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 1:55 am 
Figure of speech. Not intended to be analyzed like a passage of scripture or the words of a great philosoher. clown.gif I will remove it to eliminate any confusion.

Voxxjin
made of hamburger

Voxxjin
made of hamburger
PostTue Apr 21, 2020 2:56 pm 
Stephen B wrote:
NF trails and land are open. It's not poaching if you park legally (not at a trail head/developed area)
Take it how you will but the NF I have gone to the past two weekends have seen a fair amount of people parking by roads where the gates are locked. Those gates are closed until 30 April. I am curious to see if they will open them on 1 MAY or leave them locked. I've carried out several bags of trash along the closed roads I have wandered. And never saw a soul on the roads I was on. Side observation - the NFs could use a bunch of work parties who just pick up the trash. 2nd side observation - there are some pretty decent dispersed car camping sites back in them hills

Cry 'Havoc!' and let slip the dogs of war