Forum Index > Trail Talk > I-90 Snoq.Pass area trailhead restrictions-?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
TimJJohnson

TimJJohnson
PostFri Apr 24, 2020 10:39 am 
Just wondering what the scoop is at the THs at say McClellan Buttes and up at S-Pass area. Are cars getting ticketed or towed?

Tim J Johnson
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:04 am 
Tinkham Road is closed at both exits.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:32 am 
My take on the USFS closure order in the region is that any developed site that under normal circumstances would require a Northwest Forest Pass in order to park is now closed and vehicles parked at such sites are subject to citation. In other areas such as along the Mt Si road, cars have been towed -- from areas with "No parking anytime" signs lining the road. These areas have long be the subject of over crowding and residents are already fed up with crowds and quick to call towing companies who are happy to oblige.

Jeff

Jeff
PostFri Apr 24, 2020 1:38 pm 
I went to the McClellan Butte area the first weekend of the stay at home order. Tinkham road was blocked with a sign across the road a few hundred years from the trailhead. If you are creative you can find a place to park, but it could be a gamble. My car was fine when I got back. A ranger rolled by as I was leaving and he didn't look impressed. I was also parked next to a couple that were clearly living in their vehicle.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostFri Apr 24, 2020 8:22 pm 
Recently a half dozen vehicles parked south of I-90 at exit 47 all got this notice on their windshields.
USFS Covid19 Notice
USFS Covid19 Notice
IMO, this strikes the right tone - informative and encouraging actions to reach the goal. Per the regulations the vehicles were parked legally. There was no threat of a ticket, which I appreciated.

dixon

dixon
PostFri Apr 24, 2020 8:47 pm 
Is anyone else thinking about 'breaking ranks' this weekend and heading out into the backcountry? I'm hearing construction is back, Boeing is back and in my neighborhood it looks like many people are out there as normal. Would it be better to wait it out another few weeks until its official?

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostFri Apr 24, 2020 10:31 pm 
dixon wrote:
Is anyone else thinking about 'breaking ranks' this weekend and heading out into the backcountry? I'm hearing construction is back, Boeing is back and in my neighborhood it looks like many people are out there as normal. Would it be better to wait it out another few weeks until its official?
I would encourage you to at least find something that is not popular at all. Last weekend I went out to some BLM land that was still open. It wasn’t the best hiking I’ve ever done by far but I was at least it was something, I was alone, and I didn’t have to feel guilty about violating closures. I saw a zillion cars at High Point trailhead for Tiger as I drove past and I really don’t feel like something like that is as responsible.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Apr 24, 2020 10:37 pm 
FWIW: Today, I observed a road closure barrier on the frontage road leading to the Granite Mtn trailhead -- blocking off access to the USFS parking lot. There were also road closure barriers at various places around the summit ski areas. There was some sort of security patrol vehicle and personal at the entrance to Summit East / the Hyak residential area. This weekend, I think anywhere within an hour or two of Puget Sound City along I-90 is going to be crowded enough to make social distancing challenging. I suspect that enforcement efforts will be focused on highly popular locations. I follow some #VanLife forums (I full timed in a mini RV for 8 months last year) -- #VanLife people are experiencing considerable harassment and vandalism from rural locals -- who don't what COVID-19 infected city folks spreading the infection into the countryside. If you are going to go -- go somewhere obscure, with limited parking and keep a low profile.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Apr 24, 2020 11:30 pm 
puzzlr wrote:
IMO, this strikes the right tone - informative and encouraging actions to reach the goal. Per the regulations the vehicles were parked legally. There was no threat of a ticket, which I appreciated.
Where do you park legally on the S side of I90 at exit 47 right now? With the road closure there's no room on Tinkham. I'm assuming the Annette TH is blocked off. The paved section is too narrow. I'm trying to picture it, but I'm not doing a good job.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 7:15 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
puzzlr wrote:
Where do you park legally on the S side of I90 at exit 47 right now? With the road closure there's no room on Tinkham. I'm assuming the Annette TH is blocked off. The paved section is too narrow. I'm trying to picture it, but I'm not doing a good job.
Parking in the interchange has long been illegal. There might a couple spots between interchange and the road closure barrier. You might receive a parking ticket or not. If there are "no parking" signs a towing company may tow your vehicle without a police officer or ranger being present. During a Q&A session about the closure Inslee said something along the lines of "a lonely forest road". Exit 47 and Tinkham are some of the busiest in the state. So your either going to arrive at these hyperpopular spots before sunrise in order to find them empty or look farther from Puget Sound City and for places not cataloged in any guidebook paper or electronic. It's especially tricky right now as many forest roads still have snow and/or trees from the winter blocking them, reducing the amount of miles that people can spread out over.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 9:20 am 
For the record I'm not planning to head to exit 47, just paying attention to what's going on. And wasn't sure there was legit parking there. There is at 42 and every spot is taken, which is a bad omen when you're trying to avoid people.

Stephen B

Stephen B
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 11:28 am 
puzzlr wrote:
Recently a half dozen vehicles parked south of I-90 at exit 47 all got this notice on their windshields.
USFS Covid19 Notice
USFS Covid19 Notice
It's nice of them to provide TP since the pit toilets are closed

dixon

dixon
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 2:59 pm 
Thanks for the recommendations Randito, Secret Agent Man and good points on the difficulty of finding a lonely forest road this time of year. I will likely end up staying home and doing something local, I do have a hill with a whopping ~200 ft of gain! smile.gif It will be interesting to see what happens when the restrictions for outdoor recreation are lifted since hiking was already seeing a huge boom in popularity these past few years especially along I-90, mountain loop, Rainier so couple that with closed malls, movie theaters etc. and it seems like there will be even more demand and pressure on areas ~2hours from Seattle as folks look to get outside. Inslee even stated in his address last week that packed trailheads were not a good idea but realistically without some mitigation techniques prior to a vaccine/therapeutics looks like more experienced folks will have to go to great lengths to avoid the masses until then. I heard up in BC they're proposing a permit system even for regular hiking trailheads for this summer but I cant see that working here. Gosh, can you just imagine the Snow/Rachel Lake trailheads and trail in a few weeks? Perhaps it will be one of those snaking slow moving lines you see at Disney World ... hope I am wrong!

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 4:22 pm 
dixon wrote:
Gosh, can you just imagine the Snow/Rachel Lake trailheads and trail in a few weeks? Perhaps it will be one of those snaking slow moving lines you see at Disney World ... hope I am wrong!
They’re talking about doing stuff like very reduced seating capacity at restaurants that reopen, they can only have half as many people as they used to because all the tables have to be six feet apart or whatever. I wonder if they would try to do the same thing with parking - reopen parking lots but rope off sections of the lot as closed. Snow Lake would be less crowded if the Alpental parking lot only fit a third of the cars that it does now.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Apr 25, 2020 5:09 pm 
dixon wrote:
Gosh, can you just imagine the Snow/Rachel Lake trailheads and trail in a few weeks? Perhaps it will be one of those snaking slow moving lines you see at Disney World ... hope I am wrong!
Well given that the Snow lake environs is typically still a decent ski trip well into May... Also there is a road closure barrier on the Alpental access road well back from the Snow Lake trailhead.