Forum Index > Gear Talk > tarptent double rainbow li!
Previous :: Next Topic  
RichP
here and there

RichP

here and there
PostWed Sep 02, 2020 6:13 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
In spite of my earlier comment I purchased this tent. Just returned from a 4-night work party with WTA and it performed well in light rain and wind. I was able to sell my old sil DR so the sticker shock was a bit less. Hoping to get a decade out of this one too.

View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Opus
Wannabe

Opus

Wannabe
PostThu Sep 03, 2020 9:12 pm 
If you'll keep updating us on your experiences I'd be very interested!

Last year I sold my MLD cuben DuoMid. I loved the weather resistance and lack of sagging, but found the lack of usable space annoying. These new Tarptents seem to solve a lot of the problems.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Kim Brown

Kim Brown

PostFri Sep 04, 2020 11:51 am 
I've had my Rainbow TarpTent out in snow and heavy rain and it help up very well. Rain splashed in when it bounced off the soil around me, but that wasn't too bad. But these were either single nights of rain, or multiple nights with light and heavy rain - but the tent dried out during the day, so I dont know for sure if it would hold up for multiple days and nights of wet weather where you never dry out.

JimK's tarptent withstood over an inch of Kettle Crest rain one evening a few years ago. Good lord, what a downpour that was!  embarassedlaugh.gif

I no longer have my Hilleberg (I got claustrophobia one too many times), so I am interested as well, whether it holds throughout multiple days and nights of wet weather!

--------------
" I'm really happy about this! … I have very strong good and horrible memories up there."  – oldgranola, NWH’s outdoors advocate.
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude

Marmota olympus
PostFri Sep 04, 2020 3:20 pm 
Opus wrote:
If you'll keep updating us on your experiences I'd be very interested!

Just spent 35 days since July 3 backpacking using my Tarptent Double Rainbow Li. I too like that it doesn't sag. It does get lots of condensation with two people during a rain storm, which I experienced. I use a small microfiber towel to wipe off any excess and pack it up. It dries faster than the old silnylon DR I formerly used. I haven't had it out in any significant winds so I can't comment on that. In good weather I dont even stake out the vestibules, I like to roll up the side completely.

If I had my preference, I would have bought the Stratospire Li, which has a separate interior, but my spouse wanted the DR. I compromised. *bigsavedmymarriagegrins* If I was to get a solo shelter I think I would opt for the Aeon Li.

Anyway, it seems well put together and so far I have no complaints.

Rumi

--------------
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ronbo

Ronbo

PostSun Sep 06, 2020 1:06 pm 
Thank you for reviewing the Double Rainbow Li and I am appreciative that you compared it to the older model. So, how do you like the door orientation change, where the doors are now set up for head-to-toe sleeping with a tent partner? Does this new design make it worse for tent orientation in strong prevailing winds? How much does the backwards door inconvenience the person on that side when sleeping h2h? Was this a good design change by TT? Thanks!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude

Marmota olympus
PostSun Sep 06, 2020 7:08 pm 
Ronbo wrote:
So, how do you like the door orientation change, where the doors are now set up for head-to-toe sleeping with a tent partner? Does this new design make it worse for tent orientation in strong prevailing winds? How much does the backwards door inconvenience the person on that side when sleeping h2h? Was this a good design change by TT?

At first I did not like the change in the door orientation. But since I have had over 30 nights in it, it has become a non issue. With my spouse I always sleep on the side with the door at my feet. This was basically done because she gets up at least a couple times each night to pee. I never have that problem. But since the bathtub floor is 10" wider than the old DR, sitting up without overly bothering her is relatively easy anyway. Also, it makes it really easy to pitch the tent and decide later which end is higher to make the head of the tent. In other words either end can be the head and it's the same.

As I noted, I haven't had it in strong winds so I can't give an answer about how well it does in those conditions.

Used as a solo shelter, it is a palace.

Rumi

PS: I like the waterproof zipper rather than the old storm flaps.

--------------
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Gear Talk > tarptent double rainbow li!
  Happy Birthday ahumblefool, Lightning_bug!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: