Forum Index > Trail Talk > Governor Inslee announces lifting state recreation restrictions May 5
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 11:23 am 
No one is responsible for defending claims they never made to begin with. I use models all the time, and that means I'm well aware of their limitations.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 11:26 am 
Foist wrote:
But the politicians and media have scared everyone into believing that they can and must actually prevent themselves and others from *ever* getting infected, which is pure fantasy.
That was to be expected, given that the mindset in this country has been to protect EVERYONE from EVERYTHING that might cause harm or death for quite some time. While I understand that the intentions are good, however, imho, they take it MUCH too far. It's life and no one get's through it alive.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 11:29 am 
The core issue is the willingness to take people's choices in order to pre protect them from what *might* happen, which is essentially a religious, subjective argument in terms of risk valuation, rather than address things which *actually* happened, which can be proven... and turns into a different argument. The idea that you're to be protected from yourself is the core problem and disagreement. It inherently subjugates the protected to the protector. I see the FS hasn't made any updates I can find on access changes. I think BLM lands are still open. Hood River county is going to try to open it's trails and such, but they're trying to figure out how to allow local access but keep PDX'ers from swamping the area. Me, I just want to see Cherry Orchard trail opened again so i can back to my laps there, but I bet the private gorge org which runs it is rather risk averse.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 11:35 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
No one is responsible for defending claims they never made to begin with. I use models all the time, and that means I'm well aware of their limitations.
Randito wrote:
MtnGoat wrote:
it's also super easy to reference flawed projections and then claim we saved us, just like the cup noodles i had for lunch staved off the martian invasion scheduled for the afternoon.
So your saying you have a mathematical model that predicted a Martian invasion this afternoon? I thought you didn't believe in models.
You did claim to have prevented a Martian invasion. What was your method of knowing the attack was imminent and to undertake counter measures?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 11:50 am 
Foist wrote:
Maybe. I doubt it, considering that we barely reached 20% of capacity. We're sitting now at 10%, while people who need other surgeries and operations for other conditions are waiting and home and getting sicker and/or more miserable. The evidence indicates that having a total lockdown versus restricting gatherings and protecting the elderly does not make that big a difference. But regardless, I agree that was the original purpose -- to keep the severe cases within hospital capacity. But that is clearly not the purpose anymore, based on what Inslee has been saying and doing. The PR campaign to scare everyone into "social distancing" to "flatten the curve" has caused the expectation to shift into something that actually has nothing to do with flattening the curve. Now, the political purpose and public expectation seems to have morphed into "minimization of infections" or "containment" -- even though that is practically impossible. So the politicians have painted themselves into a corner. The only realistic way forward is to relax the restrictions enough that we can get this thing over with without causing the hospitals to overflow. But the politicians and media have scared everyone into believing that they can and must actually prevent themselves and others from *ever* getting infected, which is pure fantasy.
I miss my friends and my family. Using technology to socialize isn't nearly as satisfying as seeing a person face to face or hugging them. Any relaxing of the quarantine means more infections, it has to be done carefully and slowly because not flooding hospitals is still a goal. I'm thrilled we're getting outdoor recreation back in state parks and DNR land. I hope USFS does the same. I hope cyclists will be allowed to ride 20 again soon.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Apr 29, 2020 11:59 am 
Locking this one in favor of existing thread to discuss closure status: https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8031591