Forum Index > Gear Talk > Packable fishing rod/gear recommendations?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
erik the red

erik the red
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 4:14 pm 
Hiya folks....wife and I are in the market for some new packable fishing rods. Ours were demolished a few years back when the kids decided to play around in some shallow backcountry tarns. While they had fun and reeled in some nice logs, we now find ourselves in need of some upgrades. Any recommendations for reasonably lightweight and packable rods? Thanks kindly for any suggestions.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 8:32 pm 
maybe PM leafguy. He may be able to give you some tips.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Apr 30, 2020 10:21 pm 
This topic had been brought up frequently on this site, here is one example. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8006513&highlight=fishing Happy Fishing!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
erik the red

erik the red
PostFri May 01, 2020 8:15 am 
Thanks

glenoid

glenoid
PostFri May 01, 2020 5:38 pm 
Not a recommendation but a warning. I have had three four piece Daiwa Presso UL spinning rods. The tip section on two of them broke in two for no good reason. I like the rods, but for their price and their fragility, I won't buy another. (I have fiberglassed the broken pieces together again but they are no longer flexible for good casting or reeling in a "big" one).

erik the red

erik the red
PostTue May 05, 2020 9:35 am 
glenoid wrote:
Not a recommendation but a warning. I have had three four piece Daiwa Presso UL spinning rods. The tip section on two of them broke in two for no good reason. I like the rods, but for their price and their fragility, I won't buy another. (I have fiberglassed the broken pieces together again but they are no longer flexible for good casting or reeling in a "big" one).
Good info. to know...thanks for mentioning it. I'll likely pick up a few Zebco Dock Demons for the kids and I to try out in the near term, and save the pennies for a Tenkara in the longer term.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostThu May 07, 2020 2:30 pm 
Years back I tested backpacking suitable fishing rods (spinning) for an outdoor magazine. The quality ones had tapered fits at the ferrules. The not so good ones had parallel fit ferrules with a rubber "bumper" at the end of the male segment that tended to form a vacuum (for awhile) As part of my testing, I assembled and disassembled rods while watching football games. Memory has it 100 x per. All the parallel fit ferrules rods loosened somewhat with the extensive assembling. You'd cast with them and the segments would spin - or even separate - when casting. A Shimano 4 piece rod (one of the ones with a taper fit) was the best.

Off trail rambler
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 07, 2020 4:34 pm 
A lot of tru hikers in the Sierra swear by Tenkara rods and they are light (no reel) but do not break down. I just use a collapsing Shia no pack rod with a small spinning reel. Usually I use a plastic bubble and fly barbless. The Tenkara rods work well for streams but do not go far enough for big lakes. I just fish for food when hiking no catch and release so may not be typical. In the Sierra and northern BC the trout would strike a brass safety pin with a salmonberry on it. When I was a kid we fished for salmon most every weekend (they were still common in the sound then) and kind of got sick of fishing. Never got into fly fishing but have an old bamboo rod from the 1930’s.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon May 18, 2020 11:27 pm 
I like my eagle claw trail master, the one that the butt flips to accommodate spinning or fly fishing. It's a very reasonable price and I've caught 100s of fish on them. I did have one break and they warrantied it for me I think I had to pay 10$ for shipping maybe? It's been a few years.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue May 19, 2020 5:53 am 
I finally remembered that my old spinning reel was giving out on me last year so I needed to order a new one. That lead me into a deep dive of all the suitable spinning reels available. The best spinning reels for high lake fishing are under 6 oz and will generally be called a size 5 or 500. I found reels that met those specs in price from $14 to $800. I was able to resist purchasing the $800 reel. I would avoid Tenkara for WA high lake fishing. When choosing a rod I would look at how long the pieces are when the rod is broken down. If you are able to put the rod entirely inside a pack it will be much better protected and won't snag on brush.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostTue May 19, 2020 6:36 am 
I came across these a couple years ago. A few places in Canada sell them and I own 2 now. I really like them. They have a fairly fast action and work in windy conditions but I can still make a delicate presentation when needed. They are hitched up to a couple Pflueger 1594 RC reels, old classics. They are my go-to fly rods for backpacking now. https://fishingworld.ca/products/streamside-telescopic-fly-rod-906-6wt I have a couple 6pc and 4pc break down rods too,. They have been my former backpacking fly rods but they are now languishing in their tubes...

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostTue May 19, 2020 7:10 am 
My tip is to get a clear plastic tube at lowes that protects the floure scent cent light bulbs.. Cut to lenght..tape ends and ya got a good ultralight rod case...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue May 19, 2020 10:20 am 
The rod I bought at Cabellas is a 6 piece so fits easily in a pack. It also came with both a soft and hard case, I never use the hard case. I initially had a 3 piece that I would attach to the outside of my pack an I had issues with snagging on brush and a broken tip. frown.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostTue May 19, 2020 10:57 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The rod I bought at Cabellas is a 6 piece so fits easily in a pack. It also came with both a soft and hard case, I never use the hard case. I initially had a 3 piece that I would attach to the outside of my pack an I had issues with snagging on brush and a broken tip. frown.gif
I've had luck with the softcase the trail master I mentioned above came in, most of my backpacking I use a kelty trekker 65 and the pins that hold the exterior frame together fit very snug with the mounting points on that bag I've done lots of bushwhacking and just stay conscious not to drop the bag on the rod when loading and unloading and I haven't had it break in the case yet been, going strong for a few years now. I'll post a pic of the set-up later when I'm near the bag

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed May 20, 2020 4:09 pm 
Photos of how my rod bag attaches to my pack.