Forum Index > Trail Talk > Fake murder hornets warning
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 27, 2020 8:09 pm 
I don't know why somebody would do this, but there you go. This was apparently posted at Tiger Mountain.
Signs warned of 'murder hornets' at a popular Washington hiking spot. But state officials say the signs are fake https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/27/us/murder-hornet-signs-scn-trnd/index.html

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed May 27, 2020 8:42 pm 
DIY crowd mitigation technique pioneered by the Davis brothers out of Kern County, CA in the early 90's.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostWed May 27, 2020 8:47 pm 
CNN probably did it themselves just to write a story about it

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostWed May 27, 2020 8:54 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
CNN probably did it themselves just to write a story about it
embarassedlaugh.gif

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostWed May 27, 2020 9:39 pm 
Damn, someone beat me to it. Why waste putting up signs like that at tiger mountain? Maybe somewhere useful like salmon la sac or middle fork would have been smarter.

pula58

pula58
PostThu May 28, 2020 12:00 pm 
MyFootHurts wrote:
Quote Options Posted: Wed May 27, 2020 8:47 pm MyFootHurts wrote: CNN probably did it themselves just to write a story about it
veering towards politics. Please stop. from posting rules: "You agree to consider whether your contribution adds value to this site each and every time you post. Is it positive? Is it helpful? Will it make people want to return to this site and be part of this community? If not don't post. Nothing wrong with healthy debate but keep it civil, refrain from personal attacks, and remember this site is what you choose to make it. NWHikers should be a respite from politics and divisive topics in favor of those that foster and build community. If it's divisive or highly contentious and not outdoor related it's pseudo-politics and off limits at NWHikers. You agree to check such discussions at the door."

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu May 28, 2020 12:21 pm 
Making fun of an incompetent outfit like CNN... or any of the big conglomerations of biased reporters on either side... should be neither divisive nor contentious.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu May 28, 2020 12:30 pm 
Once again Tom is proven right curse.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu May 28, 2020 1:05 pm 
How many warnings do I have to give people?

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu May 28, 2020 1:05 pm 
Ug. I posted this to let people know this sign at Tiger Mountain isn't legit, and if the same one pops up at other trailheads, ignore it there too. Not to bring out the tin foil hat brigade. Anyway, it must have taken time to design the graphics, there will probably be more. Might be other fake warnings showing up too. Just be aware of things.

altasnob

altasnob
PostFri May 29, 2020 12:47 pm 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat May 30, 2020 7:11 pm 
huh.gif we're in need of a couple successive cold winters.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 7:08 am 
I have a concern that this sort of energetic sign posting using fear to discourage public lands use is a sign in and of itself. Historically trail head break-ins and vandalism in some areas have been used toward that end. Resentments about land-use policy lies at the core of the urban/rural divide, and COVID related shut-down responses have only widened that discord. These signs are posted by people who want to keep the city folks away using fear. Awareness prevents fear from being used this way. Thanks for getting the word out on this false information.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
neek

neek
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 7:11 am 
D. Inscho wrote:
I have a concern that this sort of energetic sign posting using fear to discourage public lands use is a sign in and of itself. Historically trail head break-ins and vandalism in some areas have been used toward that end. Resentments about land-use policy lies at the core of the urban/rural divide, and COVID related shut-down responses have only widened that discord. These signs are posted by people who want to keep the city folks away using fear. Awareness prevents fear from being used this way. Thanks for getting the word out on this false information.
I don't disagree, but... Tiger Mtn? Hardly a rural setting...

xrp
Tactical Backpacker

xrp
Tactical Backpacker
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:34 pm 
D. Inscho wrote:
Historically trail head break-ins and vandalism in some areas have been used toward that end. Resentments about land-use policy lies at the core of the urban/rural divide, and COVID related shut-down responses have only widened that discord. These signs are posted by people who want to keep the city folks away using fear.
This part of your post has inspired me. I intend to capture murder hornets and put them to work for me. I will take them to the trailhead in my vehicle and let them out of their container as I exit my vehicle (but leaving them in the vehicle, to guard it). I will put a Danger! Murder Hornets in Vehicle sign on my vehicle's windows to dissuade clouters. Think of it like a Trunk Monkey, only more viciousness.