Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail and Park Openings
Previous :: Next Topic  
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph

PostSat May 09, 2020 4:27 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
People need to return to work, then there will be far less people out recreating. I am not going anywhere on a weekend, hell no! I won't even chance riding my bike on the MLH, which more resembles the Autobahn on weekends.

--------------
Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Nancyann

Nancyann

PostSat May 09, 2020 4:38 pm 
I am happy for everyone who is finally able to get out of the city, and I hope they enjoy themselves, but like CJ, I will be staying home on the ranch on the weekends!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Slugman
Itís a Slugfest!

Slugman

Itís a Slugfest!
PostSat May 09, 2020 6:07 pm 
mike wrote:
Stay the #@%^ home! This parking lot is for a beach that is smaller than this parking lot!

Next time try reading the thread title. We do not need every single thread polluted by mean spirited ranting.

--------------
ďThe jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mindĒ  Slugman, January 24th 2020
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RichP
here and there

RichP

here and there
PostSat May 09, 2020 6:16 pm 
Went to Sunday Lake on the North Fork today and there were more cars than I've ever seen there. 12-15 and more were arriving as others were leaving. Not so long ago seeing even one car here was unusual. Several folks were headed in with overnight gear too. Lots of people out on the North Fork in general doing all kinds of activities.

Couldn't cross the swollen Sunday Ck with a 6 year-old but we brought some tools and did some trailwork on the short spur that goes down to the main crossing which was pretty overgrown at the beginning and obscured from sight.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath

Faster than light
PostSat May 09, 2020 6:58 pm 
People have felt cooped up, it's natural that there's a lot of pent up demand right now.  And everything hasn't opened yet, so people are concentrated in places they can get to.  If you expect crowding, you won't be disappointed to find it.  It'll slowly get better.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man

PostSat May 09, 2020 7:04 pm 
I didnít go to Mailbox today but somebody who drove past claimed they counted 196 cars in the lot and the side of the road. This is how areas get closed back up.
ale_capone

ale_capone

PostSat May 09, 2020 10:32 pm 
Not shaming. From gold bar to Steven's pass there where hundreds of cars parked along the highway. I suspect most where seeking a little river side solitude. Definitely an interesting sight to see. Heybrook had 4 cars, eagle falls was the only spot that seemed a little overcrowded.

We decided to drive up the white pine. Road was rutted but passable to the trail head. Only 2 cars/ 3 other people on the trail. Trail was in good condition for the first couple miles. Very little/ sporadic snow at the last bit. Turned back at a stream crossing that would require debooting. Not deep, just no bridge. Could be good for someone looking to go up the chiwakums.
Hesman

Hesman

PostSun May 10, 2020 7:48 am 
Drove through my local state park yesterday and the parking lot was full to the brim. I noticed people were driving in and then leaving since there wasnít any room to park.

--------------
You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened. - Dr. Seuss
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker

PostSun May 10, 2020 10:22 am 
I rode my bike yesterday past Picnic Point, which had 3x as many cars as I've ever seen. Then to Edmonds where the waterfront had no parking and was nicely dispersed. Then to Richmond Beach park which also had no parking and was nicely dispersed.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostSun May 10, 2020 9:06 pm 
Look to see big reports come streamin' in tomorrow morning about thick crowds in various dispersed camping areas. Expect to hear stories about riverside beaches packed full of people! Tents 10-20 feet apart in the backcountry! People waiting in line with TP in hand to go to the bathroom behind a tree.  lots of cigarettes

--------------
I mow the grass before 7am
BeardoMcGrath

BeardoMcGrath

PostMon May 11, 2020 3:01 pm 
Spend the weekend along the Cascade River Road. While there seemed to be a lot of car traffic, it looked to be mostly of the touring variety as there weren't more than a standard-summer-weekend number of people dispersed camping. Hiking along the South Fork Cascade River Trail on Sunday featured only 3 trail runners and one mountain biker, so maybe everyone was going up to the gate at 18 mi and walking/biking along the road above that. Overall I was surprised that it wasn't busier.
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon May 11, 2020 5:38 pm 
BigBrunyon wrote:
Look to see big reports come streamin' in tomorrow morning about thick crowds in various dispersed camping areas.

Don't know about dispersed camping, but Mailbox Peak crowds got a mention on one of the local NPR stations.  rolleyes.gif

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
slabbyd

slabbyd

PostTue May 12, 2020 3:36 pm 
Highway 20 opened today!   I'll see ABSOLUTELY EVERYONE at the Mazama Store on Saturday!  Woohoo!!!!
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon

PostTue May 12, 2020 3:41 pm 
DON'T COUGH ON THE PASTRIES!! considered extremely rude

--------------
I mow the grass before 7am
dixon

dixon

PostTue May 12, 2020 8:00 pm 
Does anyone know if the road to colonial creek off 20 is accessible? (Now that the lockdown is essentially over since nearly everyone is ignoring it)
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail and Park Openings
  Happy Birthday CT, hikerdan3369!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: