Forum Index > Trail Talk > Seattle will permanently close 20+ miles of streets
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
neek

neek
PostSat May 09, 2020 8:03 am 
Randito wrote:
The connection between Leschi and the Burke-Gilman has been improved in recent years. There is now a bike trail through the arboretum and a very new pathway through the Montlake/ 520 construction zone. There are still a bit of no shoulder road riding, but far less than 5 years ago.
That is a great path through the arboretum but IIRC the speed limit is 10 mph which makes it kind of a casual use thing.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat May 09, 2020 8:42 am 
neek wrote:
Randito wrote:
The connection between Leschi and the Burke-Gilman has been improved in recent years. There is now a bike trail through the arboretum and a very new pathway through the Montlake/ 520 construction zone. There are still a bit of no shoulder road riding, but far less than 5 years ago.
That is a great path through the arboretum but IIRC the speed limit is 10 mph which makes it kind of a casual use thing.
The 10 mph limit is appropriate considering the amount of pedestrian traffic and the curving nature of the trail. Roadies that are capable of going 15-20 mph along don't really benefit from using the arboretum trail and should continue to use the route that uses Harrison, 28th ave and 26th ave -- this route is marked with "Lake Washington Loop" signs. Riders that aren't comfortable riding those streets with vehicle traffic should take a chill pill and respect the 10mph speed limit on the trail. It's all of 1 1/4 mile long -- so the difference in time between 10mph and 20mph is about 3 minutes.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 09, 2020 9:31 am 
I've almost always avoided the arboretum trail because of speed. Every now and then I'll ride it because it's nice, but you have to slow down a lot.

neek

neek
PostSun May 24, 2020 1:45 pm 
Hey cool, these now show up on Google maps. After I had manually poked them into a custom map...

uww

uww
PostTue May 26, 2020 3:49 pm 
Ouch, closing that green lake arterial is going to hurt a lot of people. Lost of park parking along that one (including off leash area) and makes it a long trip around. The rest seem to be side streets, wonder what the hidden agenda was there.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 26, 2020 4:01 pm 
Hidden agenda? embarassedlaugh.gif They closed some side streets for bikes and pedestrians. Why do you think there is a hidden agenda here?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
uww

uww
PostTue May 26, 2020 4:35 pm 
That street is nothing like the rest of the side streets they closed- there were already multiple paved and grade separated bike and pedestrian paths along the entire closed route. There must be another reason that stretch was chosen. It is not residential, connects 99 to major arterials, has half the park’s parking, and the only vehicle access to one of the few off leash parks in the city.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue May 26, 2020 4:50 pm 
So you're not looking for a hidden agenda, you want to know why they're doing certain things. Thanks for clarifying.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
mb

mb
PostTue May 26, 2020 5:17 pm 
While that street is an arterial (It's one of the confusing connecting bits of NW/N/NE 65th st), it also severs the park into two pieces. Maybe the goal is to re-connect the park? Here's what the city website says; note that it's one of the few labeled "temporary"
Quote:
In partnership with the Parks and Recreation Department, a portion of W Green Lake Way N is temporarily closed to create room for people biking who are not allowed on the Loop Trail at this time and for walking should the trail become overcrowded.
I can't tell from here if the green lake parking lots are closed, but presumably they are?

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue May 26, 2020 8:54 pm 
I live in the area and have run around the lake with W Greenlake Way closed and it is quite nice. This road divides two large parks, Greenlake and Woodland Park. This adds a lot of room for kids on bikes to tool around and people to wander with their dogs off the loop trail. It's also been closed off and on before Covid due to construction. I don't think there's any ulterior motive here.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue May 26, 2020 9:07 pm 
My money's on hidden agendi. Thinkin' it could be more than one

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 26, 2020 9:13 pm 
Opus wrote:
I live in the area and have run around the lake with W Greenlake Way closed and it is quite nice. This road divides two large parks, Greenlake and Woodland Park. This adds a lot of room for kids on bikes to tool around and people to wander with their dogs off the loop trail. It's also been closed off and on before Covid due to construction. I don't think there's any ulterior motive here.
Seems like a wise move to me. If the road was open along that section, but all the parking lots closed I think there would be a mess with people trying to find a place to park. Also those parking lots are popular with people living in vehicles, so closing it off to all vehicles seems like an effective way to create a big area for kiddos to ride their bikes without the parents having be concerned about traffic or other safety concerns.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 26, 2020 9:43 pm 
A closed road is far superior to a designated lane or even trail for biking. A narrow multi-use trail is dangerous as road bikes go fast and strollers, hikers, and skaters go slow. A closed road allows fast bikes to safely pass. The bike trails in Ottawa were so crowded to be useless for commuting or fast biking. When the adjacent road was closed everyone could easily get along.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue May 26, 2020 10:00 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
A narrow multi-use trail is dangerous as road bikes go fast
The Greenlake loop has long had this issue -- my then 5 yo nephew was rear ended near the Aquatheater in the '80s by a roadie wanabe travelling quite fast. The dick head threaten to sue claiming that the 5 year old was "weaving". The new Cross Kirkland Connector trail has a gravel surface which seems to keep speeds somewhat in check. The Greenlake path could use some additional revisions to disrupt riders from travelling above 15mph Competent "roadies" avoid the Greenlake Path -- it's too short and flat for real training.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 27, 2020 8:51 am 
That trail around Green Lake is a terrible place to ride a bike. 15 mph is impossibly and foolhardily fast, unless it's 3 am I guess. It's full of pedestrians. They have no obligation to walk in a predictable manner, they're at the park enjoying themselves. We're on wheeled vehicles and have an obligation not to hit or buzz them. Green Lake Way, adjoining the park, is great. Nice views, if you're traveling south you have no cross traffic. You can go as fast as you want.