Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rennie Peak ~ Camels Hump ~ 5/7-8/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostTue May 12, 2020 5:42 pm 
The boys finally broke quarantine for some peaks! JakeA, Dave, Reed, Kyle and I had grand plans for a 4 day traverse of the Chelan-Sawtooth Wilderness with lots of peaks! Jake and I drove up Wednesday during the day and were dismayed to see such high snow levels above the Twisp River. Once everyone else arrived, we collectively agreed that skiing wasnt going to be worth it and packed up with snowshoes instead. We all headed out to the Reynolds Creek TH Thursday morning, then Jake, Kyle, and Dave headed back east to drop some cars at the East Fork Buttermilk. This gave Reed and I a chance to stash a couple more beers in Kyle's pack so he could haul them up to camp for us. Training weight for him, niiiice. After some issues the other dudes had with snow on the East Fork Buttermilk Road, we didnt start hiking until after 9. It was hot. The Reynolds Creek Trail is in decent shape up to snowline, aside from some down logs because of the burn. No snow till about 4800, we put snowshoes on around 5k. Sloppy but decent travel had us cresting the Rennie/Reynolds Col around 2. We dropped down the other side 100 feet and set up camp. Reed and Kyle were bunking together, so Jake distracted Kyle with the pigskin that we lugged up there so that Reed could grab the beers out of Kyle's pack before he could find them. Free beers in the alpine?? Thanks bud!!
Reynolds
Reynolds
tick protection
tick protection
snowline
snowline
mondo cornice on North Reynolds
mondo cornice on North Reynolds
slogging in
slogging in
Rennie
Rennie
After camp was set up, we set out for Rennie. In true Reed fashion, he broke trail all the way ot the summit. Sloppy but workable conditions. Maybe an hour camp to summit. Excellent views! I forgot to take any pictures from the summit. The register is soaked, we dried it out the best we could.
slogging out Rennie
slogging out Rennie
Reynolds
Reynolds
Rennie
Rennie
Dave in his natural habitat
Dave in his natural habitat
Sawtooths
Sawtooths
Devore Tupshin Bonanza
Devore Tupshin Bonanza
South Spec, Flora, and the Fernow Group
South Spec, Flora, and the Fernow Group
Descent was SLOPPY but quick. Back at camp, we drank beers, had dinner, and played a little alpine football. Good times!
sloppy descent
sloppy descent
Alpine Football League
Alpine Football League
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
AFL
Up at dawn and moving shortly after, we were pleased to have firm snow conditions. Some steeps getting around the south side of Reynolds warranted crampons. Then we made out way up the west face of Camels Hump on super firm snow. Nice climbing!
alpenglow
alpenglow
alpenglow
alpenglow
The Hump
The Hump
nice climbing conditions
nice climbing conditions
Epic morning in the cascades
Epic morning in the cascades
We made the summit of Camels Hump at 9 via a fun class 3+ scrabble up the west side of the summit. The rest of our traverse was laid out in front of us and it looked FAR. If we continued east we would be in a very committing position to make it to the EF Buttermilk in 3 days. With sloppy conditions inbound, we decided that it was the right call to drop into the South Fork Reynolds Creek and bail. So thats what we did. Dave soloed Williams Butte that afternoon and we all met up for dinner in Winthrop to hatch some plans for the following days... I forgot to take photos from Camels Hump and during the descent but I hope some others will add theirs. Felt good to be back in the mountains with the buddies again! ~20 miles ~7k

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue May 12, 2020 6:13 pm 
Kyle carrying your beers, football at camp, sounds like a great time good on dave for tagging Williams butte!

Eric Eames
Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostTue May 12, 2020 6:20 pm 
Ditto that Eric, sounds like fun guys! Thanks for the conditions update too, good info.

RichP

RichP
PostTue May 12, 2020 7:01 pm 
Nice way to get back to the good stuff. Ticks...I've never seen so many as this year. After my last few hikes I just strip down and bag up my clothes that are crawling with the little buggers.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue May 12, 2020 8:23 pm 
Excellent way to break quarantine. It looks like you guys had a blast! What did you have for tick repellent, and did it work? Usually I douse myself in peppermint essential oil and it seems to work, but I forgot it yesterday and brought home two embedded in my skin and one crawler from Hatchery Creek last night. Makes me a little jumpy. paranoid.gif

Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostTue May 12, 2020 8:50 pm 
Nancy, does the essential oil keep them away? Sounds much nicer than deet.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostTue May 12, 2020 9:00 pm 
It does seem to help deter them. I managed to get up and down Dirtyface Peak wearing a sleeveless shirt a couple of springs ago with just peppermint and only had one jump on me right before I got back. That said, if a person seriously wants to avoid ticks they might want to add pyrethrum in addition to the peppermint just to be sure. Or you could be like Hiking Partner whose motto is “just pull ‘em and move on.” lol.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue May 12, 2020 9:16 pm 
Nasty buggers had lots in New England permethrin helped and deet. Always seemed to miss one and they crawl into the most embarrassing places, especially if you have a doctor of the opposite sex.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
...dismayed to see such high snow levels above the Twisp River
Um, well...not exactly the worst thing to hear... rolleyes.gif Just thinking of future plans. Not for skiing anyway, but good to know. up.gif

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostTue May 12, 2020 9:59 pm