Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tumwater Traditional Flower Show - 5/9/20
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostSun May 10, 2020 12:01 pm 
By hiking from home I added on a mile to each end, but hey, the gate is closed at the bottom anyway. dizzy.gif On the way up, I only ran into 1 hiker, 1 trail-runner, and 1 horseback-rider. As I was leaving the top I saw 1 motorcycle rider and 1 family hiking; however my exit through Ski Hill was pretty busy with mountain bikers on a beautiful Saturday....Multi-use!
Pleasant Way Trail
Pleasant Way Trail
Healthy Patch
Healthy Patch
Nice Specimen
Nice Specimen
Infested Slope
Infested Slope
Far Ridge - Sugarloaf Lookout
Far Ridge - Sugarloaf Lookout
Chumstick, Humility, Sauer, Blag, Tibbets...
North
North
Sun-Loving
Sun-Loving
Floral Variety
Floral Variety
Floral Variety
Floral Variety
Peaks of the Upper Entiat
Peaks of the Upper Entiat
Lovely
Lovely
Feeling Pink
Feeling Pink

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun May 10, 2020 6:57 pm 
up.gif Both my brother and daughter/son in law keep telling me about this hike, but it is still foreign to me. I must do it some time. Looks like the Entiat and Chelan Sawtooths will be the main gig this summer if they keep the Icicle closed because of covid-19 and the irrigation project (as I am hearing).

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostMon May 11, 2020 6:43 am 
Get Out and Go wrote:
I'm in this picture! I was hiking the ridge on the east side of Derby Canyon. Unfortunately, no Tweedy's Lewisia for me, they do not grow on the Chumstick formation. I just love the southern escarpment of the Entiat Range this time of year. Everything is green and lush, the flowers are all blooming at once, and the views of the Enchantments are stunning. Pretty much just pick a ridge and enjoy.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue May 12, 2020 11:40 am 
Hi Hit The Trail, wave.gif I actually did run into your son-in-law a few weeks ago on one of his trail runs coming off Tumwater. Nice area between there and Ski Hill, but I'm looking forward to forage northward soon. We'll stay in touch for something. up.gif Sculpin, sounds like you were around Blag Mt, perhaps?

"These are the places you will find me hiding'...These are the places I will always go." (Down in the Valley by The Head and The Heart) "Sometimes you're happy. Sometimes you cry. Half of me is ocean. Half of me is sky." (Thanks, Tom Petty)
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue May 12, 2020 12:52 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
you were around Blag Mt, perhaps?
Yep. Made a socially distant camp up on Blag with the full Cascade panorama. The next morning I walked back a hundred yards to the spot where the Blag Mtn. road crosses the ridge and picked up the motorcycle trail that drops west to the road that comes up Williams Canyon. A short distance from there I went back on motorcycle trail and followed the ridge (Derby Ridge?) top until I was looking straight down at the Wenatchee River and the mouth of Derby Canyon. Didn't see a soul all day until a motorcycle rider came through camp that evening. This hike has to be done upside down because there is no public access at the bottom.

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Jack's Mom

Jack's Mom
PostTue May 12, 2020 1:29 pm 
Is the access to this just up past the Tumwater Pipeline Trail, Forest Road 7903?

Get Out and Go

Get Out and Go
PostTue May 12, 2020 1:46 pm 
FS 7903 is on the west side of Tumwater Mountain. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8010427&highlight=ski+hill I approached from the Ski Hill Side (east). Here's an interactive map that shows some of the trails. There are a few more unofficial ones. https://www.trailforks.com/poi/11195/

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue May 12, 2020 6:46 pm 
Get Out and Go wrote:
I actually did run into your son-in-law a few weeks ago on one of his trail runs coming off Tumwater.
He and our daughter were here for mother's day lunch and said he bumped into you on the trail. I am sticking close to home and trying to get back from my morning hike before my wife manages to get up. She has requested her treatments be ended and seems to actually be feeling better. She also keeps insisting I start planning overnight trips for the summer. So keep in touch.