Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Reiter ponds dog attack.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed May 13, 2020 11:21 am 
Kind of hiking related. This could have happened any where in the gold bar/ index area. The tuesday reiter ponds reopened to the public, my neighbour decided to take her 2 dogs to the hatchery for a walk. One is a small spaniel who suffers from constant seizures, and is generally doped up on barbiturates. Returning to her car, her spaniel was attacked by 3 pit bulls who jumped out of a nearby truck. When the owner of the Pitt bulls tried to break up the fight, one of his dogs latched onto his arm. My neighbour was frantically yelling they where going to kill her dog. He instructed her to go under his seat. She retrieved what she found, and he quickly dispatched the dog from his arm, then one who was attacking the spaniel. Dog3 ran off. While my neighbour was trying to get her badly injured dog to the car, dog 3 reappeared and gave chase. Guy dispatched the third dog. He had a fourth who hid in the truck the whole time. The guy claimed he was a homeless vet, living in his truck. He was just driving around looking for somewhere to live for the summer. He had no money to help with vet bills. Just 4 pitbulls and a loaded 45 under his seat. Not judging anyones life predicament, Or anyone who has or likes either. but clearly irresponsible with the dogs. Scary to think how many other guys like this are scattered about. Plus he still has one dog and a 45. Poor dog ended up getting close to 300 stitches on its entire body, eviscerated bowl, stiches inside his rectum, lost a good chunk of one ear. They essentially where playing tug of war with the poor guy. I seen him yesterday, running around the yard like nothing was wrong. Tough little guy! My neighbour also got her hand tore up a little as well. Unknowingly, we walked our dog there later that evening.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed May 13, 2020 11:31 am 
There's an amazing technology called leashes... I'm sorry to hear about this, it sounds horrific.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 13, 2020 11:51 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
There's an amazing technology called leashes...
You think one guy would've been able to control 3 pitbulls in attack mode if they were on a leash? Good luck with that.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed May 13, 2020 12:37 pm 
Pitts. down.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed May 13, 2020 12:47 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:
You think one guy would've been able to control 3 pitbulls in attack mode if they were on a leash? Good luck with that.
So a "homeless guy" has 4 dogs?! That's irresponsible by itself! One, maybe, is justifiable.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed May 13, 2020 1:04 pm 
Did you read the part that the three dogs “jumped out of a truck”? Apparently not. And if you claim leashes are useless then that is a separate issue, of you being wrong and your argument pointless.
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
Cyclopath wrote:

neek

neek
PostWed May 13, 2020 1:27 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Pitts. down.gif
I know a friendly pitbull who would lick your face off if he heard you say that! But condolences to all involved; sounds awful.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed May 13, 2020 1:30 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Did you read the part that the three dogs “jumped out of a truck”? Apparently not. And if you claim leashes are useless then that is a separate issue, of you being wrong and your argument pointless.
No, I didn't miss it. There isn't much info there. Did they jump out of the bed of the truck, or were they in the cab and he opened the door? Doesn't say. If they were on a leash, when they saw the other dog and decided to try to kill it, how effective would the owner have been in preventing this? He would've slowed their advance a little bit, but he wouldn't have stopped it. One person cannot control 3 pits, it's just not happening. You go ahead and try it and see how well it goes.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed May 13, 2020 1:37 pm 
Ah, the ol' heater under the seat 'surance policy. Frowned upon these days. Unacceptable that this is still being used in practice in deep sky valley

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed May 13, 2020 3:25 pm 
My 75 pound Golden was knocked flat and flipped over in no time by a pit on a leash in a state park. Yup, there was a leash attached to the pit but nobody holding the leash. My dog was leashed with me on the end. The owner was quick to jump up and pull the dog off and then took off running with dog and disappeared. My dog bled a bit but was otherwise OK. The mean pits can move so darn quick. I also know of one that has been trained extensively and is very gentle. Bad dog, good dog.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed May 13, 2020 5:36 pm 
good grief! frown.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostThu May 14, 2020 7:17 am 
Sorry, I got the info second hand from the husband. Not sure if dogs where in the cab or bed, or if the bed had a topper. He did say they where walking past the truck. Whatever the scenario, just irresponsible dog ownership. It may have been worse if her dogs where on leash. Their second dog is a huge anatolian/great pyrenees mix. Not sure how she stayed out of the mix because she isnt a good dog. Neighbour said it probably saved him more vet bills though. I agree. Pitbulls can be the sweetest dogs. My sister fosters pittbulls in michigan. I've raised 2. Very obvious from their nature that one had a fighting bloodline, and one was properly bred for companionship. Dogs do what they where bred for. Some have an overriding desire to. Last time I got bit was by a leashed border collie in leavenworth. I tried to leave the line at munchenhaus. Back with the sheep! More of a pinch. I am pretty aware when I hike around the random paths to the river from home. Especially this time of year. It's when the weather gets nice, and people start looking for their secluded spot for the summer. I've bumped into random camps that pop up overnight. Usually a single Male or female with mental/ drug issues. Never seen one with a dog, or dogs. Sometimes I have to alert them they are on private property. Came up on an old camp once, and they set it up too look like they where sleeping in the tent. Obviously old, tent moldy and sagging, I was kind of scared to give the sleeping bag a poke with a stick. Fortunately just a bundle of clothes

mike

mike
PostThu May 14, 2020 7:52 am 
moonspots wrote:
So a "homeless guy" has 4 dogs?! That's irresponsible by itself! One, maybe, is justifiable.
Homeless vet? I agree, that is irresponsible. Society should step up.

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostThu May 14, 2020 8:06 am 
Too many dogs off-leash on trails these days. That's why I carry my firearm on every hike I go on.

Vesper Peak
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu May 14, 2020 8:20 am 
This thread ticks all the boxes save one. And I'm a certified cairn kicker, so that box is checked.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers