Forum Index > Trail Talk > The summer to adopt a abandoned trail?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri May 15, 2020 5:59 am 
The ones doing the abandoned trail work are probably the ones most against it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri May 15, 2020 7:06 am 
Before you all get too far off, please re read my comment. The guys mentioned were on MOTORIZED trails, not wilderness. The guys I know who do this are professional cutters--they are loggers and some even fall and buck timber for their day jobs. They open up trails while riding their dirt bikes on them after the snow is gone. No wilderness is involved. They know what they are doing and do it well. These trails are also open to hikers, bicycles and horses. Most are closed to ATVs. You are free to hike them. During weekdays you probably won't see anybody else. Ooops, I've revealed a Sekrit. Roads in that area are kept open because firewood cutters follow the snow line up. When times are tough, firewood cutters increase and I imagine competition is ferocious right now.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 15, 2020 8:46 am 
Sometimes there is a chainsaw waiver, so if BCH is out there with chainsaws maybe it's legit. But I would expect some vigilante chainsaw work, esp. for outfitters nearing any hunting season., and esp-esp. in a fire killed area like practically anywhere in the Pasayten! And I bet many of us have benefitted from chainsaw work in wilderness. I know I have. It's disgruntling and appreciated at the same time.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri May 15, 2020 9:19 am 
Well, the trail to the Falls lakes certainly qualifies. Then again Im not certain it was ever official.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri May 15, 2020 12:49 pm 
Kim wrote:
It's disgruntling and appreciated at the same time.
Yes.... always better to be gruntled. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri May 15, 2020 1:59 pm 
Ski wrote:
Yes.... always better to be gruntled. up.gif
And way better to be commoded than discommoded.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat May 16, 2020 9:30 am 
They make battery powered, quiet chainsaws now. I don't know how long the battery lasts, but maybe there is a Currant bush to plug the charger into. winksmile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostSat May 16, 2020 9:38 am 
"I wish this guy would put these back on line: abandoned trails" Yup. I vote for every summer being the time to adopt abandoned trails.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostSun May 17, 2020 7:08 am 
I will say having been out there the trails on the west side have alot of damage with trees down and flood damage.

fn1889m

fn1889m
PostSun May 17, 2020 11:32 pm 
Am retiring this year, and obtained permission (of sorts) from the ranger station to work on a trail that is still an official USFS trail, but receiving no maintenance. I was told that there is no objection to restoring a trail that is still on the list. “Don’t cut any big trees or use power tools in the wilderness area”. Those were the only limitations they gave me. It was one notch above “Don’t ask; don’t tell”. The trail used to extend about 5 miles, but is now down to 1+ mile, due to washouts. I am not sure what to do about the planned replacement foot bridge. I think its going to be OK so long as it does not cost the FS anything. Someone has used chainsaws to cut trees in the wilderness area, and built a large “hunting camp” in the wilderness area, on this trail. Trails that are not maintained (but accessible to MVs,) seem to be treated like ghetto alleys - garbage, vandalism, abandoned tarps, short cuts, random trees cut, and ad hoc structures. I picked this trail because it has been a favorite place for Nearly 40 years. It makes me angry to see it abused. One purpose in restoring old trails is simply to keep them from being de-listed. Once off the list, they would probably stay off the list.

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon May 18, 2020 5:20 am 
Kudos to you!! Which Ranger district is this if that district is receptive maybe other are too.

RichP

RichP
PostMon May 18, 2020 6:25 am 
Thank you, fn1889m. up.gif I am also saddened and angered by the abuse and disrespect that some people heap upon our public lands.

fn1889m

fn1889m
PostMon May 18, 2020 10:20 am 
Timberghost, I would like to keep a low profile until I can start work. The person who said “no problem” did not appear to want to make the consent very formal, which suggested that the local USFS people like the idea of ad hoc trail maintenance, but they might not be sure what administrators would say. FWIW, I approached them with a narrative of the history of the trail, my plans, photos, a map, etc. It was probably not necessary. But as an individual, I do not have the status of a non-profit agency. The main issue was probably determining that the trail was already an official trail. And assuring them that I am not using ANY power tools. Further, trail abuse is partly a design-related issue, and can be lessened by design and maintenance. The approach road and parking is a mess, which limits the closest access to high clearance or 4x4 vehicles. The removal of a bridge has restricted access for families with children and for less athletic users. That seems to define the culture of the current trail users. The abandoned road to the old formal trailhead is grown up and is no longer an easy walk, so an erosion prone short cut has been created which abandoned half of the original easy, flatter trail. That is the first part to clean up. The point is, if the circumstances that caused the abuse can be eliminated, by making the trail signed, reasonably accessible, and family friendly, I think the abuse will stop. If it looks maintained and valued, people will respect it. Right now it is the trail-equivalent of an abandoned house, so some people do not treat it well. This applies to the parking area, road, and camps as well. I picked this trail because its shorter, more manageable, and a small amount of work will have a lot of benefit. And it’s always been my favorite little trail. This is not a delicate alpine area that should be restricted. It was a good family friendly trail. I am not a kid (heck, I’m now on Medicare,) and may be overwhelmed when I get on the ground. Maybe all I can do is cut brush on the approach. But have worked for the FS when younger, and have an idea of what is possible. PS- I don’t normally post here. But this post touched a project I care about. But ask me after this current access restrictions end, and I can give you more information. I need to make a dent in this project first. Once I have something to show, I can post photos, etc.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon May 18, 2020 4:12 pm 
A big thanks to everybody giving their time and effort to make trails easier for everybody.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon May 18, 2020 6:30 pm 
And the cheery dogs who help to carry stuff.