Forum Index > Trip Reports > Frog Mountain (Wild Sky) – 16 may 2020.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostSat May 16, 2020 8:23 pm 
It is easy being green. NF-65 (Beckler river road) is snow free to Jack Pass (with an exception of just one big patch of deep snow remaining just a few feet before Jack Pass). Going down from Jack Pass NF-65 appeared to be snow covered (but probably passable in a high clearance vehicle), while NF-6570 (to San Juan Hill) was completely snow covered (and I watched a jeep trying to go up and sliding down), while evergreen lookout road appeared to be completely snow free (at the pass, no idea about conditions higher up). It appears last winter caused a huge tree fall along the Beckler river road, with lots of trees and branches over the road. However most of the trees over the road are either high enough that the car can squeeze below or were already cut by previous drivers. Despite the rain lots of people driving around the forest road and camping everywhere along the river. I left my car at Jack Pass and walked the stub road leading to the gravel pit, however one can also drive this little road, because somebody already has cut the gate locks and destroyed the gate. There were two guys at the pit with military style semi-automatic weapons doing some world war III training, running around like crazy and shooting at metal human-size mannequins. It was deafeningly loud and Cookie got really scared (and frankly me too), so we retreated into the forest behind the gravel pit and bushwacked on the other side of the pit to be protected from bullets. Soon we reached the newly under construction Frog Mountain trail. Forest service seems to be converting most of the old logging road into a wide (think new mailbox peak like) trail, rocky surface, but really great nice easy to follow switchbacks. Followed the new trail up until 3400 ft where it currently ends and it worked quite well, because at that point there was enough snow to make it more efficient to just follow some deer footprints up. Rain got heavier, but clouds stayed high, making for lots of really nice views from both summits. Thankfully on my way back the crazy military shooters were gone and so I could use easier trail way all the way back to Jack Pass. Despite some crazyiness on the road it was peaceful and no people on the mountain. Saw a grouse. Sadly saw no frogs.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSun May 17, 2020 12:40 am 
thanks for the update on the Beckler Road

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 17, 2020 7:35 am 
I'm happy to hear they're working on the trail - there are some nice views up there that you managed to catch despite the weather. That was one of my first hikes from Garland Mineral Springs up the original trail. They were just starting to build the road over Jack Pass which obliterated it.

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostSun May 17, 2020 8:19 am 
You and Cookie are quite prolific and your reports are always a good read. Scary situation there, only run into gun bearing folks a time or two (that I was aware of) and it wasn’t a threatening situation, but nobody with Automatic Rifles, youch......glad you got out of there. Thanks for posting and I look forward to many more.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSun May 17, 2020 4:07 pm 
The pit on the north side of the pass is really popular for target shooting. I hope that changes when the trailhead is established.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSun May 17, 2020 9:46 pm 
Thanks for the conditions report.
kitya wrote:
Best picture yet!

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
nickmtn

nickmtn
PostSun May 17, 2020 11:16 pm 
kitya wrote:
I love the perspective on Silvertip!
kitya wrote:
There is something very eye catching about the valleys in that neighborhood right? I remember they really caught my eye coming down from Evergreen

kitya
Fortune Cookie

kitya
Fortune Cookie
PostMon May 18, 2020 10:17 am 
Thank you everyone. Yes, Cookie (and me) love the view of the green river valleys capped by snowy peaks. These are always beautiful, even more so than just mountain ridges I think.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostMon May 18, 2020 9:52 pm 
Cool trip. Great photos. Nice destination. Off the beaten path. I need to get up into the Wild Sky Wilderness and explore more areas up there.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed May 20, 2020 8:10 pm 
Nice! I'll look forward to checking this one out this summer.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin