Forum Index > Trip Reports > MLH- Captain Obvious SitRep
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hinder Binder
German for wedgie

Hinder Binder
German for wedgie
PostSat May 16, 2020 2:55 pm 
Took a drive out The Loop this afternoon to check on road conditions and trailheads. Lime Kiln gate is open and lots of cars at noon on a Saturday. Go figure. Old Robe had a few cars but less than I expected. Verlot service center closed.
Fire Danger transparent Most campgrounds closed and gated except for Red Bridge for some reason. Apparently Campground Closed means park on the road and pack your stuff in. Lake 22 parking was overflowing including up and down both sides of the road under the no parking signs. Marten Creek only had three cars which seems to be consistent. Why haven't I ever done this hike? Must investigate and add to list for upcoming weekends. Several signs along the way stating that the gate is closed at Deer Creek. I can confirm these signs are accurate. Hopefully soon! Stopped by Gold Basin Mill Pond Interpretive Trail which I have driven past a multitude of times. This is an out and back with total mileage maybe pushing .10 and close to zero elevation gain. Some nice signs about the history of the sawmill that was here over 100 years ago. If you absolutely had to hike Lake 22 on a Saturday afternoon and didn't mind a short road walk this might be a good option for parking.
Gold Basin Mill Pond I read lots of trip reports last year that mentioned the condition of Pilchuck road and decided to check it out. The last .25 mile before the Heather Lake TH is a very slow obstacle course. I was thinking I would go all the way to the Pilchuck TH but decided to turn around at Heather Lake. I have some extra time on my hands but not that much time. Only 6 cars at Old Robe on the way out which really surprised me. Two hour round trip from home and save for the Mill Pond everything I learned had already read on the internet. I was out among the trees though so not a total waste.

Cupcakes are muffins that believed in miracles.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat May 16, 2020 3:11 pm 
Hinder Binder wrote:
Took a drive out The Loop this afternoon to check on road conditions and trailheads.
Thanks for giving us this conditions report. Very nice. ~z

timberghost

timberghost
PostMon May 18, 2020 5:26 am 
nice one