Forum Index > Trail Talk > How much light do you carry?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Leafguy

Leafguy
PostMon May 25, 2020 9:55 pm 
I've used one of those cheapo inflatable solar powered lights that look like a 3 or 4 inch cube when inflated. Has worked great so far. Also take my decades old Petzl just in case.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue May 26, 2020 8:34 am 
I generally carry 2 headlamps. Spare batteries are hard to change in the dark and the batteries are the heavy part anyway. Higher lumens aren't necessarily the most important thing. More lumens equals quicker battery drain. Low to mid levels are plenty for around camp and trails. High lumens are needed for off trail route finding. Examples: alpine start summit attempt or late return, rescuers heading to injured climber way up some canyon side with no trails. My current favorite headlamp is the Petzl Tikkina. 2.6 ounces, 3 light levels, 1 simple, secure button. My old favorite was the Black Diamond Spot. Still a great headlamp, but the continuous variable brightness requires a sensitive button, which is easily turned on if you forget to lock it.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostTue May 26, 2020 9:07 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'm seriously overdoing it compared to everyone else! confused.gif One of my flashlights is 1,600 lumens which is 2x as bright as typical high beams. Obviously has lower settings too, but I wanted to be prepared. (3oz with battery.)
Truthfully, I think everyone should take whatever they are comfortable with. But I do find it interesting that some will take extra lights and extra water filters for just-in-case situations, yet have the skimpiest FAK ever. 90-99% of my waking time on the trail is during daylight, depending on the season. And since I almost never go winter/snow hiking/camping now, having to heavily depend on a headlamp or flashlight is just not needed for me. I think most three season camping falls into that same category of not needing overkill in lighting. As for the 1,600 lumens, I have found that maximum useful brightness has a limit waaaaaaay short of that amount. I have used a 320 lumen light and it was overkill for me ... and I'm legally blind. But again, to each their own. Just don't shine that thing in my direction. hahahaha Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."