Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sherman / Sunrise 5/23
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostSun May 24, 2020 6:39 pm 
Been thinking of climbing up Sherman since seeing it from the Craggies a few years ago. Fletcher's recent TR for the area was all I needed for the motivation. Recruited my dad to join me per usual. The two of us met in a Wenatchee P&R at 4:00 am and worked our way up the Methow. FS road 30 has a pretty bad creek crossing where we hit bottom hard both ways, probably best for high clearance vehicles. Started up the "trail" around 7:15. The path is decent for 1 1/2 miles, but is basically destroyed by the 2018 McLeod fire after that.
Charred landscape
Charred landscape
Hiking through the burn
Hiking through the burn
After log hopping and brush bashing for 3.5 miles we finally turned up and away from Goat Creek at 5,800'. Glacier Lily field galore!
Glacier Lily galore
Glacier Lily galore
Heading up w/ Sunrise looming behind
Heading up w/ Sunrise looming behind
After some gain we reached consistent snow around 6,400' below an obvious col. Dropped some pointless gear below and headed up.
Snow level
Snow level
Splendid little basin
Splendid little basin
Heading for the col
Heading for the col
Easy colour w/ great snow
Easy colour w/ great snow
Nearly perfect conditions for crampons up to the saddle. Our stoke was getting pretty high being back in the alpine. Followed the corniced ridge a few hundred feet to the summit.
Corniced summit ridge
Corniced summit ridge
Dad starting up the col
Dad starting up the col
Dad w/ the Craggies in the background
Dad w/ the Craggies in the background
Nice views from the top, but of course a single dark cloud sat above us assuring we would be chilled.
Sunrise et al
Sunrise et al
Hwy 20 peaks looking good
Hwy 20 peaks looking good
Craggies
Craggies
Western Pasayten
Western Pasayten
After a 30 minute summit stay we descended back down to our gear in a pleasant basin at 6,800' and enjoyed our "summit" beers. The sun came out and things quickly turned into a sauna w/ the snow.
Heading for the next summit
Heading for the next summit
Plunge stepping down the colour
Plunge stepping down the colour
Isabella Ridge
Isabella Ridge
During the beer we discussed possibly adding Sunrise Peak to the day. Was going to make for one slog out, but the temptation of a 2 summit day over 8,000' won out. We did a descending traverse from the basin to around 6,300'. Held this line w/ some ups & downs to the slopes of Sunrise.
Traversing toward Sunrise
Traversing toward Sunrise
Sunrise summit ridge
Sunrise summit ridge
The weather was really turning for the worse at this point. Skies threatened w/ storms, but thankfully held to some snow & rain flurries for the afternoon. Unfortunately the snow really crapped out by this time, and we found ourselves sinking knee deep every step. Dad & myself fought breaking trail a few hundred steps at a time, but it was tiring. We made the decision to traverse off the Ridge a bit onto a large compacted avy debris field. This allowed us to avoid post holing, but was also caused us to climb up some 50+ degree sketch snow to reach the final ridge. W/ all the complications on Sunrise (removing crampons twice, slogging, route debating) we didn't reach the summit til 4:30.
Bad weather on Sunrise
Bad weather on Sunrise
Snowing, but thankful for no lightning
Snowing, but thankful for no lightning
Ridge run anyone
Ridge run anyone
Cloudy
Cloudy
We took a much easier route down the valley even getting in a good glissade. The slog out was tiring, but we were beyond happy for both summits. 13 miles w/ 5,300 gained. Another great day in the mountains!!!

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostMon May 25, 2020 9:47 am 
A hike on Memorial day weekend and no one else around. Let the wannabe hikers stick to the I90 corridor. This one took some effort, but the payoff was worth it.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
iron

iron
PostMon May 25, 2020 8:46 pm 
mtn.climber wrote:
A hike on Memorial day weekend and no one else around. Let the wannabe hikers stick to the I90 corridor.
spoken like a true man. a man's man. man.

rocknclimb

rocknclimb
PostTue May 26, 2020 8:39 am 
- wrote:
mtn.climber wrote:
A hike on Memorial day weekend and no one else around. Let the wannabe hikers stick to the I90 corridor.
spoken like a true man. a man's man. man.
Nothing better to do than troll eh? Maybe you need to go for a hike Iron.

When asked "Why do you climb"? Simply respond "Why don't you"?
mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue May 26, 2020 8:57 am 
Iron's comment doesn't bother me any, or change my mind about my I90 comment. I respect the hikes/climbs that he has done.

Reach for the sky, cuz tomorrow may never come. Live the life of love. Love the life you live.
neek

neek
PostTue May 26, 2020 9:08 am 
Thanks for the road info, might be headed that way soon. There's some good stuff along I-90, just gotta get off the beaten path.

mtn.climber

mtn.climber
PostTue May 26, 2020 9:43 am 
I agree, Neek. I've done most of the I-90 hikes myself. My comment was triggered by the comments of hikers on other unnamed hiker sites that couldn't believe the crowds on popular (Mailbox, Si, Teneriffe, etc.) trails this last weekend (Memorial Day...who would've thunk it?)

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostWed May 27, 2020 8:53 am 
Nice trip! Cool area back there.