Forum Index > Trail Talk > Olympic National Park closed to backpacking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Clutter

Clutter
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 10:54 am 
Has anyone heard rumors of when Olympic National Park may open up for overnight? I've already requested time off work for the weekend of the July 4th to do a longer trip like Enchanted Valley or 7 Basins. If you don't think it'll open up I'd love recommendations for other good 2 night backpacking trips. Ive heard good things about Jade/Marmot Lake and Snowgrass-Goat Lake.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jun 11, 2020 11:12 am 
latest rumors and Welcome to the site! up.gif please be sure to post lots of pictures in your trip report. many members here have trouble with reading comprehension skills.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
fyodorova

fyodorova
PostTue Jun 16, 2020 7:57 pm 
I have an ONP backcountry permit for this Saturday, 6/20, which I reserved several months ago. On June 5, I received an email from recreation.gov telling me that my permit was cancelled because the COVID-19 closure was extended to 6/18 (before the date of my reservation). This was quickly followed by an email stating that the previous email was sent in error and my reservation was not cancelled. On Saturday, I received a reservation reminder from recreation.gov. So, I'm assuming backcountry camping will start on 6/18 or 6/19 until they tell me otherwise.

fyodorova

fyodorova
PostWed Jun 17, 2020 10:37 am 
Welp, this morning I got an email that ONP will be closed to overnight backcountry camping through June 30. OP, you might still be OK for early July. It seems like the parks should encourage overnight use instead of day use. Day hikes are usually more crowded than backpacking destinations, particularly in areas with overnight permit quotas.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jun 17, 2020 11:42 am 
fyodorova wrote:
It seems like the parks should encourage overnight use instead of day use. Day hikes are usually more crowded than backpacking destinations, particularly in areas with overnight permit quotas.
The only thing I can guess as to their reasoning is that opening up for backpacking would result in more people coming to the small communities of the Olympic Peninsula. As it is, there are a ton of people from across the water coming to the Peninsula to recreate on the weekends. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."