Forum Index > Trail Talk > First big thunderstorm risk likely Saturday PM
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat May 30, 2020 8:47 am 
With luck the loose killer will be fried and washed into the river and the riots will be rained out.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat May 30, 2020 8:48 am 
My cats aren't happy.

Nancyann

Nancyann
PostSat May 30, 2020 10:28 am 
Just curious, I wonder what everyone is going to do and where are they going to stay this weekend in Eastern Washington, considering the weather forecast? There was a mass exodus eastbound over Stevens Pass yesterday. confused.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat May 30, 2020 2:09 pm 
A guy who will be fixing a door said that where they were camped last weekend, and I'm thinking on state lands, that a sheriff's deputy and game warden were going around and checking residency. If somebody was not from here, they were told to leave. As for the storm, we got a little rain this morning and now the wind is blowing but not unusually hard. We're supposed to get a smiting starting this evening with winds and......hail. I'm hoping the hail stays quite small and harmless as I have no garage or carport to fit my pickup in. I've filled the water tank on the trailer up, have vacuumed, have things charging up and laundry going. Everything is battened down. Not looking forward to it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostSat May 30, 2020 5:35 pm 
Pendleton radar shows a lot of rain in swaths in Eastern Washington at 5:30 PM and abundant lightning is taking place in this same area. Hopefully, the rain and lightning line up. Just click on the loops. https://radar.weather.gov/radar.php?rid=pdt&product=N0R&overlay=11101111&loop=no

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat May 30, 2020 10:33 pm 
Managed to get a 7k summit in the Roslyn vicinity today with views and not a single drop of rain. That drive eastbound over snoqualmie pass in the morning was a wild ride though. A classic white knuckle. Constant lightning!!! Hydroplaning next to semi trucks in a blinding spray!!! Losing control of the vehicle! NO visibility!!! Loud scary music!!!! Maximum stress!!! But the weather held all day about 20 miles east.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostSat May 30, 2020 10:57 pm 
Looks like Cle Elum got half an inch, 2-10ths of an inch in Yakima, 2-10ths over NE WA and at Harts Pass.

gb

gb
PostSun May 31, 2020 5:42 am 
Here is the 24 hour lightning map; pretty major for a West Coast outbreak:
It looks like there was quite a bit of rain along the Cascades and west and extending to about the foothills along the east side up the coast. Seattle, Sea-Tac, and Bellingham set record daily rainfall of about an inch. But rainfall over most of areas east of the Cascades only got about a tenth of an inch and just north of San Francisco to about the Redwoods it was not very wet - the rainfall comes from a NWS Seattle "Observations" - 36 hour map. There must be some smoldering starts but at least in Washington and Oregon it looks mostly cool and moist the next ten days.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun May 31, 2020 6:12 am 
It wasn't much of a storm for us. A couple of thunder claps, a brief downpour and that was it.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Kascadia

Kascadia
PostSun May 31, 2020 9:58 am 
Reported lightning strike on Chair Pk and subsequent fire: https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/trip-reports/trip_report-2020-05-31-1185487992

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSun May 31, 2020 10:50 am 
We just got some early wind in Port Angeles, nothing really significant. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman

zimmertr
TJ Zimmerman
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 2:22 pm 
My girlfriend and I backpacked in the Middle Fork area after work on Friday. We knew it was supposed to rain Saturday but weren't anticipating the lightning. Thankfully I naturally woke up around 6 and we broke camp and got back to the car mere minutes before the rain started. I feel bad for the 3-4 people we passed walking in. There were probably caught up in some very miserable conditions. 90 westbound got pretty scary near North Bend between 8:30-9:00. The expressway was flooding and people were driving wayyy too fast for the conditions becuase I guess they're immune to hydroplaning lol. At one point my entire windshield washed over for 3-4 seconds. I grew up driving in blizzards & thunderstorms in Michigan and I have NEVER experienced such unsafe driving conditions as the 2-3 minutes surrounding the washover.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jun 01, 2020 10:14 pm 
zimmertr wrote:
My girlfriend and I backpacked in the Middle Fork area after work on Friday. We knew it was supposed to rain Saturday but weren't anticipating the lightning. Thankfully I naturally woke up around 6 and we broke camp and got back to the car mere minutes before the rain started. I feel bad for the 3-4 people we passed walking in. There were probably caught up in some very miserable conditions. 90 westbound got pretty scary near North Bend between 8:30-9:00. The expressway was flooding and people were driving wayyy too fast for the conditions becuase I guess they're immune to hydroplaning lol. At one point my entire windshield washed over for 3-4 seconds. I grew up driving in blizzards & thunderstorms in Michigan and I have NEVER experienced such unsafe driving conditions as the 2-3 minutes surrounding the washover.
I experienced this eastbound. Safety became a concern. At one point I lost control of the vehicle during an extended washover. It was a real deal type deal.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 8:04 am 
Added to my vocabulary--washover. I've never heard the term before.