Forum Index > Trip Reports > Pk 7200, Barney and Obstruction 5/30/2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 6:18 pm 
With much thanks to Stefan's TR last week on his hike up Farewell. Ike and Doe, I decided to head up to that area for either that trip he did, or the trip I ended up doing. It all depended on how far I could drive up the Falls Creek road N of Winthrop. I was able to leave work early enough last Friday to head over 20 and find the Falls Creek road completely free of snow all the way to the end. I car camped and hoped for an early start the next day. I woke early and was hiking by 5am on the trail for a short distance before heading up the slopes to my first Pk. No bushwhacking was had and no snow til 7k. At Pt 7005, I headed E towards Pk 7200, although I had to drop elevation and then back up but conditions were great. I reached the summit with good views before the incoming weather would come in.
the craggies from Pk 7200
the craggies from Pk 7200
Next would be Mt Barney, I retraced my steps and then a few more ups and downs along a southern ridge had me at my next summit of the day. I found a Fay register and signed in as I could see and feel a couple raindrops falling.
Barney register
Barney register
Obstruction Pk
Obstruction Pk
I then headed N towards Obstruction staying on the snow crest most of the time as the travel was easier than in the small trees. I reached the summit to find another Fay register, quickly signed in and left because I could hear a few thunder claps in the distance.
dark skies over the craggies
dark skies over the craggies
Obstruction register
Obstruction register
I decided to drop down to the W to Falls Creek, I found snow all the way down to the valley floor and travel was good despite a few more rain drops. I paused to grab a snack and spotted my first bear of the season about 100' away. As soon as I took my camera out, it disappeared. I kept heading down towards the creek junction where I saw the main trail across the creek. I ran across the creek not caring cause my feet were already wet. The trail travel was quicker and had to cross a log 1/4 mile before getting back to the TH. As I started to drive away, the rains became heavy, good timing!
Falls Creek
Falls Creek
13.5 miles 4900 elevation gain 6hrs 45 min

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostTue Jun 02, 2020 6:31 pm 
Nice hike, Eric. Perfect timing to just beat out that regional thunderstorm system. You should name Pk. 7200.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jun 03, 2020 8:40 am 
any fire cans found or gallons of water found? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967398&highlight=obstruction

Art is an adventure.
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jun 03, 2020 8:18 pm 
Stefan wrote:
any fire cans found or gallons of water found? https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7967398&highlight=obstruction
I didn't see any of the fire fighting stuff near pk 7200, but found an old extinguisher nw of pt 7005. Btw, didn't find the register on 7200' either although a cairn was there.

Eric Eames