Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eightmile Mountain ~ June 17, 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 6:34 pm 
Just got back from another 5 days of peakbagging on the eastside. First up was Eightmile. I drove out last Wednesday morning and got hiking just before 8am. I opted for the route up the east face. It took me exactly an hour to reach Eightmile Lake. I made my way around most of the lake, then hiked up easy burned out forest up the drainage coming off of Eightmile Mountain.
Eightmile
Eightmile
nearing the East Face
nearing the East Face
I thrashed through a little alder and made my way across some marshy terrain until I found a nice spot to take a quick breather. Beautiful day out there! Continuous snow started around 6200 ft and I was cruising!
looking back down the way I came
looking back down the way I came
route up to the summit
route up to the summit
Around 7000 ft I made a stupid mistake and stepped too close to an exposed boulder. I punched through a man-sized hole and post-holed to my neck. Whoa! It caught me by surprise but it shouldnt have. It took me a few minutes to figure out how to climb out.
the hole that got me
the hole that got me
Another 900 ft or so with some disconcerting snow movement and I was on the summit. Pleasant temps and a mild breeze. I hung out for over an hour up there.
Enchantments
Enchantments
the view west
the view west
summitshot
summitshot
I decided to drop the south route to avoid the hazards I saw on the ascent. Good call, it was chill. Nice snow for 1000 feet or so, then i got sucked into some sh##ty brush, but it wasnt long until I was in the valley bottom. Took a break lounging by the lake then hiked out to the car. Fun peak.
descent
descent
lake
lake
a little nastiness
a little nastiness
Tiger Lilly
Tiger Lilly
~13.5 miles ~5400 ft of gain

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 8:33 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Tiger Lilly
Tiger Lilly
Author Jean Collins wrote a book about the Native Americans of the Upper Skagit. She says the women planted tiger lily and wild carrot in prairie areas three to four acres in size. She writes "As soon as the blossoms dried up in August, they dug the roots [bulbs] and buried the stems."

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message