Forum Index > Trail Talk > Please Use Extreme Caution if headed to McCellan's Butte! ((Target Shooters))
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brucester

Brucester
PostWed Jun 03, 2020 10:49 pm 
On my descent from the road (SE Homestead Valley Rd / NFD# 9020-1 Rd) on the McClellan Butte Trail today around 5pm. I heard gunfire, very close from above and bullets rained down. Terrifying. I yelled at the top of my lungs yet heard a stray bullet through the trees then silence. Then further down more gunfire seemingly right above. I yelled again and yet another stray ricocheted off a nearby rock sent me running back to the trailhead. I did pass by the target shooting area on my hike and it seemed like a horrible place to target shoot. Very unsafe! The FS have been notified.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
mosey

mosey
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 10:17 am 
Every time I go by here I remind people not to shoot in the quarry, that is in a blind corner and across a road. The worst is when someone is at the top of the power lines there is a small pullout, as they shoot DOWN the road a few hundred yards in to the blind corner of the quarry. For reference, 9020 and north are within the i90 safety corridor, and it's illegal to shoot within 500 feet of closures. It's a massive fine at their discretion.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 10:21 am 
Brucester wrote:
I yelled at the top of my lungs yet heard a stray bullet through the trees then silence.
Yelling is about all you can do when back up the trail above target shooters. Several years ago a buddy and I were snow-shoeing the ridge to the east of Heather Lake (on the way to Mt. Pilchuck). We had been up to the high point (3802) and were headed back down. There began a series of target shootings just down below us. We were trying to reach the road near the trail head where we had parked. We could not tell exactly where they were and what they were aiming at. We also yelled loudly and often as we descended. We arrived back at the car/parking area. As we were preparing to leave these two young men walked from down the road carrying several firearms. I went to talk with them. At that point I could see that they had been wearing hearing protection--big muffs. It was a little uncomfortable walking up to them, no knowing their demeanor or attitude. But I approached in a friendly way and spoke to them about the danger of target shooting on that busy road with hiking trails all around. They acted surprised, but were courteous and apologetic. At least we communicated. But my point is that if you don't get a holler back when you are yelling at such events the reason may be that they actually don't hear you due to ear muffs or other hearing protection. ~z

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 10:45 am 
Had a spay of bullets hit the vegetation across the Beaver Lake trail right in front of me a few years ago. People on the other side shooting across the river. Screamed bloody murder, and shouted as if we were hit. I guess they heard us, because it stopped. They didn't bother to drive over to the trail head and run down the trail to see if we were indeed hurt.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 11:06 am 
Maybe make the first post a wiki?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 5:27 pm 
When I hiked Bandera on Monday evening, I also heard gunshots echoing from across the valley -- i.e., from below McLellan's Butte.

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 6:47 pm 
Foist wrote:
When I hiked Bandera on Monday evening, I also heard gunshots echoing from across the valley -- i.e., from below McLellan's Butte.
I’ve had many scary encounters running down mason creek to my car and people shooting pretty recklessly by the parking area.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:01 pm 
Just curious, have any hikers actually been struck by a stray bullet from target shooting? Not questioning whether we're right to be concerned, just curious.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:13 pm 
Foist wrote:
Just curious, have any hikers actually been struck by a stray bullet from target shooting? Not questioning whether we're right to be concerned, just curious.
Wouldn't many people struck by bullets be incapable of answering this or any questions? Stray rounds anywhere within 500 yards is too close. Target shooting in the whole corridor has be banned by the land managers.

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:51 pm 
Foist wrote:
Just curious, have any hikers actually been struck by a stray bullet from target shooting?
A while ago we were running about 1/4 mile down-range (then legal, not now!) near a newly opened Whatcom County shooting range and my running partner pointed out that if a stray bullet hit one of us, we would be struck before we even heard the shot. We both survived, but didn't run there again! Since then I've recalled that incident whenever I am hiking or running in an area where people are shooting ( and I'm a gun supporter...but just be aware even near legal shooting areas).

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 7:59 pm 
I have been in the situation where twigs and branches started raining down on us from wild target shooters. It is scary, we replied and shot in their direction. The shots stopped, I was a teenager at the time. Stupid is as stupid does. dizzy.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brucester

Brucester
PostThu Jun 04, 2020 11:12 pm 
I've yet to hear back from the FS. I'll try them again tomorrow.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 5:59 am 
I saw a FS Law enforcement officer at Hansen Ck once and he told me to report illegal shooting to WSP and they in turn relay the message to the FS or other agency in charge of that area. There is only ONE FS patrol officer for a huge area. He also mentioned to get any license tag # associated.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 7:46 am 
Just once..at deception lakes..some drunknown horse campers shot 1 or 2 rounds off I screamed u don't want me f*** ng coming over there!! Someone hiked out to call the Leo showed up next am and wrote several hundred $ in tickets And told them to leave...I SHOULD OF SNUCK OVER AT 4 am AND UNTIED THEIR HORSES...th en led them back down the trail... Unfortunately I only thought of that later.

Brucester

Brucester
PostFri Jun 05, 2020 11:59 am 
RichP wrote:
I saw a FS Law enforcement officer at Hansen Ck once and he told me to report illegal shooting to WSP and they in turn relay the message to the FS or other agency in charge of that area. There is only ONE FS patrol officer for a huge area. He also mentioned to get any license tag # associated.
Thank you for this information. Hiking back to my car, driving down the freeway to that exit and driving the road to maybe creating an awkward situation getting a plate number did come across my mind but it didn't happen for obvious reasons. It's not cut and dry. There's no cross street on logging roads and it's not a designated area so this is a grey area... You can report the incident but without the location it's futile. Reporting after the fact, then there's that... Since this is an unregulated illegal shooting area and many may frequent these activities in this spot I wanted to notify someone on that area as being unsafe so someone could correct this issue.