Forum Index > Trip Reports > Hiking in Great Basin National Park: Wheeler and Baker Peaks; and Mount Tallac in Lake Tahoe
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ahughjass

ahughjass
PostMon Jun 15, 2020 10:56 am 
When visiting Great Basin National Park It seems everybody heads to the summit of Wheeler Peak, but far fewer summit Baker Peak. Baker is an easy class-2 scramble to the summit that requires a bit of heart pumping to get there. Wheeler Peak, the second highest peak in Nevada, is more straight forward and has a trail, pretty much to the summit. Baker was 12 miles RT with about 5,000 feet of gain and with a total of 10 hours (with breaks and exploring) from the baker TH. Wheeler is about 3,000 feet of gain and 8 miles RT and about 5 hours total. Both of these peaks are stepping stones on my conditioning for this summer's bigger activities. When I headed back to Washington I stopped by Lake Tahoe and went to the summit of Tahoe's classic Mount Tallac. That was a fun mountain with great views of both Lake Tahoe and Desolation Wilderness. Mount Tallac is 9 miles RT with about 3400 feet of total gain and was about 5 hours total. The traffic in GBNP and visitors seem to be far fewer than normal. I think that is because of some closed campgrounds in the park. I camped on BLM land right next to the park, and at the Baker Archeological Site (great area for car-camping). There is a Snow Park near the Mount Tallac TH where I car camped with nobody nearby. Tahoe, however, seems almost as crowded as ever, but the lake is the center of gravity there, Trailheads do not seem to be crowded on this and previous visits to the area. Baker Peak:
Wheeler Peak:
Mount Tallac:

I go to the gym religiously.... Christmas and Easter I love sports-bars. Because they collect all the people I don't want to hang out with and put them in one room.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostWed Jun 17, 2020 6:35 pm 
I spent last weekend there with my boys. Super cool place. 50+ mph wind along the ridge to wheeler, never hiked in wind that strong before. Baker lake was cool and so were the views from baker pk. I also climbed the 2 pyramid pks and met my boys back down the trail seeing much wildlife. Thanks for your videos, cool to see an area from a different perspective

Eric Eames
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message