Forum Index > Trail Talk > Devil's Washbasin via Section 3 and Bear Creek Mountain
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
HighRidge

HighRidge
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 9:01 am 
Hello All! This little lake has caught my attention for some time now. Has anyone attempted the route via Section 3 lake to Bear Creek mtn, then westward on the ridge to the Devils Horn then sweep around the western side of the horn and drop down into the lake. I have read the trip reports and such on here and only one person has attempted this. It cant be that bad can it? I spend a lot of time off trail from HWY 2 and north so I cant imagine it being worse than some of those areas. Any thoughts, tips or tricks? Thank you!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 9:13 am 
I did the route you described at least as far as Devils Horns but turned around there. Not the most pleasant terrain. Lots of loose pebbles over hard packed dirt and rock. Nothing too sketchy if you are used to scrambling and cross country travel. There were a couple class 3 moves if I remember correctly and some route finding required. I'm sure the route goes...

HighRidge

HighRidge
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 9:19 am 
Yeah, thats what i was kind of thinking it would look like up there. Thank you! So maybe dropping a bit of elevation on the southern face of Devils horn then angling up westward to the ridge where the Conrad Meadows-Tieton peak spur trial connect at the ridge top might be worth it. Thinking of taking the girlfriend for her 1st real "off trail" experience. No doubt shes capable, just didn't want to travel there, hike a few thousand feet and miles to find an impenetrable rock face then have to turn around.

texasbb
Misplaced Texan

texasbb
Misplaced Texan
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 4:00 pm 
I've crossed below the southern face of Devil's Horn after coming up from Conrad Creek to the saddle on the ridge about 0.2 miles east of DH. I dropped down 200 to 300 feet from the saddle and made my way over to cross the ridge just west of Pt 6763 to get over to the Washbasin. The traverse is as described above--marbles on a hard substrate that takes some care to cross. Like this and worse:
(Cool vein, too. smile.gif ) The Washbasin is nice.

kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostThu Jun 18, 2020 4:01 pm 
Kinda snowy there yet fwiw

HighRidge

HighRidge
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 10:32 am 
Thanks for the tips! As for the snow, we wont be going until July or august.

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 11:21 am 
I personally would not take someone on that route if it is their first time cross country. The terrain sucks and it won't be much fun. In fact, they may hate it and then associate all such trips with that experience and decide that kind of thing is just not for them. I'd pick something a bit more pleasant for the first time, make sure it is enjoyable so they have a good time and want to do it again. Just my 2 cents.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostSun Jun 21, 2020 10:01 pm 
Much more advisable to go in via Conrad surprise/warm/cold lake route. Maybe climb out the route you describe and make a big loop of it retuning to Conrad via Bear Creek.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.