Forum Index > Trail Talk > Encounter while camping.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.

Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 5:03 pm 
I posted this on another thread, I know people have had some odd things happen while camping, but this still sticks with me. I went camping with my son on Saturday, June 20th We were in the Tahoe National Forest East of Foresthill. We got to the campground at about 3:30 p.m.The camp site we chose backed up to the heavy woods so once you enter the woods, make sure you remember which direction you came from. The people in the last campsite were playing loud metal music most of the day so there really wasn’t any thing else to hear. The weekend before, a couple of kids were coyote calling and I had to explain to them and their parents why that wasn’t a good idea. After setting up camp, I kept getting an uneasy feeling uphill to the east of camp and I kept looking, but didn’t see anything out of the ordinary. Around 8 p.m. or so, I was getting dinner ready and a small rock about the size of a walnut came from north of my site, landed where I was standing and rolled into my foot. At first thought I figured the metal music campers were having some fun so I picked it up and threw it back towards the same general area. After dinner we relaxed, talked for a while, I set up my Gopro to do a time lapse of the sky, and at roughly 10:30 p.m. we turned in for the night. At 12:30 A.m. My Son and I were both awakened by a sound just outside our tent. It sounded like something was digging and pawing at the ground. I slapped my hand down loud on the floor of the tent and whatever it was bounded off and pretty much sounded like a deer bounding through the trees. My watch is a fitbit and turns on every time I raise my arm so I knew exactly what time it was. My son went back to sleep, but At this point, I was wide awake so I decided to wait and see if the deer would come back. At 1:15 or so, there was more movement outside the tent but I couldn’t quite tell what it was. Something that struck me as odd, was the environment was dead quiet. No normal forest noise at all. Just the very slight shuffling outside the tent. I slapped my hand down again and this time there was no movement of anything. Just the echo of my hand slap and the absence of all other sound. I strained to hear anything else. I even slowed my breathing. It was that quiet. At 1:30 exactly, I hear a temper tantrum like ruckus coming from approximately 20 yards to the northwest. I heard a loud deep huff of breath and what sounded like a bunch of vegetation being slammed against the ground faster and louder each time followed by a loud double thump that I felt through the ground. Then, whatever it was ran north from that spot on two legs. I say that because nothing on this world should run on two legs but a man. Only this “man” covered about 100 yards uphill in about ten strides. At the end of this sprint there was some crashing and limb breaking and for a couple hours afterwards there was a loud knock and various sounds indicative of someone or something meandering about in the woods north of me. At 3:30 roughly, a car was heard coming down foresthill road into camp and during this, its headlights lit up the camp and the tree line. After this happened, all activity ceased. I wish I was brave enough to see what it was or follow it, but I dont own a firearm and my Son was happy about the idea of me leaving him in the tent by himself.

"Our food lies ahead and death stalks us from behind."- Ernest Shackleton
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 5:18 pm 
I'll give you three guesses what it was, but you're only going to need one.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 6:12 pm 
awilsondc wrote:
I'll give you three guesses what it was, but you're only going to need one.
2 legs, 100 yards covered in 10 strides. 30 feet per stride. Hmmm Kangaroo?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 6:14 pm 
Ojsefg11 wrote:
The weekend before, a couple of kids were coyote calling and I had to explain to them and their parents why that wasn’t a good idea.
Ummm...Why is that not a good idea? Does coyote calling attract Kangaroos?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 8:44 pm 
You need to contact the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO) 'mmediately!!! Led by head honcho Matt Moneymaker and big sidekick BOZO or whatever his name is, these guys are the real friggin deal. Look. This could be big. Could be earth shattering. You need a team of experts on the case. Getting out there with flashlights and walkie talkies at 3am, blasting calls with special recordings. Telling each other "shut up, i just heard something!" Luring one in. Call now!!!

Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.

Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:04 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Ojsefg11 wrote:
The weekend before, a couple of kids were coyote calling and I had to explain to them and their parents why that wasn’t a good idea.
Ummm...Why is that not a good idea? Does coyote calling attract Kangaroos?
Where there’s one coyote, there’s usually a pack close by. They see a small kid being loud and stupid, especially when there are not a lot of people Or responsible adults around, instant to go snack.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:26 pm 
From the Humane Society's page: "Coyote attacks on people are very rare. More people are killed by errant golf balls and flying champagne corks each year than are bitten by coyotes. There have only been two recorded incidences in the United States and Canada of humans being killed by coyotes."

Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.

Ojsefg11
Wolf among men.
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 10:31 pm 
Damian wrote:
From the Humane Society's page: "Coyote attacks on people are very rare. More people are killed by errant golf balls and flying champagne corks each year than are bitten by coyotes. There have only been two recorded incidences in the United States and Canada of humans being killed by coyotes."
I relayed to them what was passed down from my grandfather, to my father, to me. I wasn't trying to spook them, or make myself seem like a know-it-all who offers an opinion when I wasn't asked. I did not want them to take any chance with their child.

Washakie

Washakie
PostFri Jul 03, 2020 12:24 pm 
Chupacabra.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
wakerobin

wakerobin
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 2:07 pm 
No. Nope. Nope. Nope.

Between the silence of the mountains and the crashing of the sea...
Luc

Luc
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 7:23 pm 
Sounds like a case of the creeps. Common, warranted, and usually benign.

GNGSTR
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 10:10 pm 
have you spoken with the BFRO yet!!?? They are the FOREMOST authorities.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 10:13 pm 
Might have been an ostrich.

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 2:13 am 
What’s wrong with howling up a coyote pack? Done it quite a few times. Ever seen a coyote swim a river? Their fur all sticks to their body. You realize how skinny they are. I’m with the kangaroo. Any kangaroo that can swim to the Americas is a great jumper.

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 6:32 am 
I get several coyotes on my trail cam in Issaquah per week. They keep the rabbits down. No problem unless you are a small pet.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn