Forum Index > Trail Talk > Into the Wild Bus removed from Alaska backcountry
Previous :: Next Topic  
Author Message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 3702 | TRs
Location: Back!
Foist
  Top

Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 6:25 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Schroder wrote:
Foist wrote:
How did the bus get there in the first place?  I saw the movie, but it was a while ago and if the movie explained that, I forget.

It was left there when they were building the road in about 1960

There was a road? I thought the only way out of there was wading a raging river which was why he died? Did a bridge wash out or something?
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 7297 | TRs
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
Randito
  Top

Snarky Member
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 6:32 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Foist wrote:
There was a road? I thought the only way out of there was wading a raging river which was why he died? Did a bridge wash out or something?

There was never a bridge -- the bus was towed in by bulldozers during the winter when the river was frozen.

Which illustrates how misguided McCandless was in the first place -- he walked to the bus on a frozen river and didn't seem to understand that he would have no way to get back across after breakup.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
olderthanIusedtobe
Member
Member


Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 6755 | TRs
Location: Shoreline
olderthanIusedtobe
  Top

Member
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 7:16 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito wrote:
There was never a bridge -- the bus was towed in by bulldozers during the winter when the river was frozen.

Which illustrates how misguided McCandless was in the first place -- he walked to the bus on a frozen river and didn't seem to understand that he would have no way to get back across after breakup.

It's been a while since I read it.  IIRC it could've been fordable later in the year, but not during spring run off.  Bad timing on his part.  I also seem to remember something about a cable car crossing nearby, but he didn't have a map and was most likely completely unaware of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jan 2002
Posts: 14664 | TRs
Location: Back Again Like A Bad Penny
Malachai Constant
  Top

Member
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 7:19 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
To be young and foolish, could have happened to most of us, but for fortune.

I did a lot more stupid things then, than him.

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
neek
Member
Member


Joined: 12 Sep 2011
Posts: 1229 | TRs
Location: Seattle, WA
neek
  Top

Member
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 7:41 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
<-- middle-aged and foolish
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Foist
Sultan of Sweat



Joined: 08 May 2006
Posts: 3702 | TRs
Location: Back!
Foist
  Top

Sultan of Sweat
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 10:55 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito wrote:
Foist wrote:
There was a road? I thought the only way out of there was wading a raging river which was why he died? Did a bridge wash out or something?

There was never a bridge -- the bus was towed in by bulldozers during the winter when the river was frozen.

Which illustrates how misguided McCandless was in the first place -- he walked to the bus on a frozen river and didn't seem to understand that he would have no way to get back across after breakup.

Ah, thanks. In the movie, he did ford it when it was running but at a much lower level, and then when he got sick it was running much higher and he couldn't get back across because it was a different time of year.  And I think his original "plan," such as it was, was never to come back, but then he had second thoughts.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Brucester
Member
Member


Joined: 02 Jun 2013
Posts: 823 | TRs
Location: Greenwood
Brucester
  Top

Member
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 5:26 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote

Visit the wild carefully!
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Stefan
Member
Member


Joined: 17 Dec 2001
Posts: 4574 | TRs

Stefan
  Top

Member
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 9:45 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ah yes.  McCandless.  I have done many a stupid thing too.  I haven't earned a Darwin award.  Yet.

--------------
Art is an adventure.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
cascadetraverser
Member
Member


Joined: 16 Sep 2007
Posts: 1263 | TRs

cascadetraverser
  Top

Member
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 7:46 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
I enjoyed both the book and the movie as a character study of what I saw as an extreme version of myself (and I suspect many of us on this forum), in McCandless` attempts in trying to find a simpler, more innocent place for himself in a complex, often crazy world where he had trouble fitting in his complex personality (a big simplification of his life, but I think correct).  Thankfully my long journeys in nature didn`t have such a sad ending..... I hope they put the bus somewhere accessable for those needing to visit it for whatever reason, thankfully not dying in the process, but likely not having quite the same pilgrimage either.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito
Snarky Member



Joined: 27 Jul 2008
Posts: 7297 | TRs
Location: Bellevue at the moment.
Randito
  Top

Snarky Member
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 8:11 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
cascadetraverser wrote:
I hope they put the bus somewhere accessable for those needing to visit it for whatever reason, thankfully not dying in the process, but likely not having quite the same pilgrimage either.

I suspect they will put it up for auction and some entrepreneur will buy it and build a tourist trap with it as the center piece.     But not this year -- bad year to try and start a tourism based business.
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
RumiDude
Marmota olympus



Joined: 26 Jul 2009
Posts: 2831 | TRs
Location: Port Angeles
RumiDude
  Top

Marmota olympus
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 1:26 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
cascadetraverser wrote:
I enjoyed both the book and the movie as a character study of what I saw as an extreme version of myself (and I suspect many of us on this forum), in McCandless` attempts in trying to find a simpler, more innocent place for himself in a complex, often crazy world where he had trouble fitting in his complex personality (a big simplification of his life, but I think correct).  Thankfully my long journeys in nature didn`t have such a sad ending..... I hope they put the bus somewhere accessable for those needing to visit it for whatever reason, thankfully not dying in the process, but likely not having quite the same pilgrimage either.

Right on!

Great piece of personal insight. Thanks for sharing.

Rumi  <~~~~~been into the wild and made it back out


--------------
"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist



Joined: 07 Sep 2018
Posts: 1059 | TRs
Location: Seattle
Anne Elk
  Top

BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jun 23, 2020 1:45 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Randito wrote:
I suspect they will put it up for auction and some entrepreneur will buy it and build a tourist trap with it as the center piece.    But not this year -- bad year to try and start a tourism based business.

If I were a relative of the deceased, that would really upset me; someone essentially making a profit off my loved one's death. It was a kindness to go thru the expense of removing it to deter the morbidly curious and prevent more mishaps.  Hopefully it's already a fraction of its size in some scrap metal yard.

--------------
"There are yahoos out there.  Itís why we canít have nice things."  - Tom Mahood
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
tmatlack
Member
Member


Joined: 21 Aug 2007
Posts: 2837 | TRs

tmatlack
  Top

Member
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 2:48 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Pyrites wrote:
I couldnít believe it when this story of misrepresented ignorance was assigned secondary school reading for my kids. Live of the land.

I used parts of the book in my 9-12 English classes for several years.  None of my students have traipsed off into the wilderness.  I did not care for the movie although I don't think I have seen it all.

Misrepresented ignorance may depend on teacher/student perspective and interpretation. The author's info/interview from Jim Gallien, last person to see victim, clearly presents the "rookie's" many mistakes.

Tom
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Malachai Constant
Member
Member


Joined: 13 Jan 2002
Posts: 14664 | TRs
Location: Back Again Like A Bad Penny
Malachai Constant
  Top

Member
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 7:57 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
To Build a Fire for our time. A cautionary tale not a how to manual. hockeygrin.gif

--------------
"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
BigBrunyon
Member
Member


Joined: 19 Mar 2015
Posts: 821 | TRs
Location: the fitness gyms!!
BigBrunyon
  Top

Member
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 10:19 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
There's a "into the wild" style airstream trailer type deal for sale in an open lot near me!! Just the frame!!! Grass growin 5 feet high all around it!!!! Lookin like a junkyard!!!! 'mbarrassing the neighborhood!!! 'mbarrassing the program.

Someone tell someone to remove it!!!!!! Someone else deal with this!!!

--------------
I mow the grass before 7am
Back to top
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trail Talk > Into the Wild Bus removed from Alaska backcountry
  Happy Birthday ddogg7864, M-Dart32, Henchbot, zaneullrich!
Jump to:   
Search this topic:

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
   Use Disclaimer Powered by phpBB Privacy Policy