Forum Index > Trip Reports > Trout & Copper Lakes
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostSat Jun 20, 2020 6:51 am 
For a weekday (Thursday/Friday), these were very crowded places. We passed Trout. Then 2.5 hours later we were at Copper. There was a lot more snow than anyone anticipated: 2-3 ft of it. We did find a bare spot of ground to pitch the tent. The weather was just grand. And no bugs !! The next morning we hoofed it over to Little Heart Lake: Most of it on snow. Being as it was suppose to start raining Friday night, we packed up and headed to the truck. On the way down: there were even more folks making their way up. Alot with overnite packs. Some would have to pitch on the snow....

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 5:45 am 
When you say a lot what kind of numbers are we talking? Most times people walk the short hike to trout lake the proceed up the trail after making camp at trout. Not a lot of camp sites at Copper

Celticclimber

Celticclimber
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 6:45 am 
When we were up there on Wednesday. There were about 4 other tents. On our way down we counted 8 others carrying overnite packs. And there just wasn't that much bare dirt. I've no idea how many day hikers there were; lots.

Live every day like you will die to-marrow. For some day that will be true.
Downhill

Downhill
PostMon Jun 22, 2020 3:02 pm 
My daughter and I made a day trip to Trout, Malachite, and Copper the prior Sunday (June 14th) arriving at the TH at about 2:00 PM. I'd estimate there were about 15-18 cars in the parking area. Hiking up we saw about 4 overnight parties heading back down and the rest were day hikers. We were the only people heading up at this hour. It had been rainy all week and Sunday was the first day of okay weather - some light sprinkles mixed sun breaks, but we never got wet. So I would guess that the weather helped to reduce the number of people that weekend on the trail. I would certainly expect this to a very popular route give how close it is to the city and being a scenic hike for a reasonable day hike or moderate length over-nighter. As the OP said, there was considerable snow once the switchbacks start to level out at around 3800, prior to the Malachite/Copper trail fork, and pretty solid everywhere above 4000. Both Copper and Malachite were mostly frozen over. We climbed out on the logjam at the outlet of Copper to have a dry place to sit, eat, and enjoy the views.