Forum Index > Trip Reports > NO-rthern Light on Cougar Divide, 10/30-31/21
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Kenji

Kenji
PostMon Nov 01, 2021 11:39 pm 
I was all set to go skiing on this sunny weekend, but had to make a last minute change after finding an active Aurora forecast. Of course, it's always just a forecast, but I can't ignore when clear night is predicted. Anyway, I decided to check out Cougar Divide, which had been open this summer after needing some repair for many years. Also, it's used to close Nov-Jul for wild life protection and this was the last weekend, possibly. Anyway, the road was in good shape except the snow! Baker must have got more snow than rain last week, the last 2 miles was mess. My little fwd Niro got stuck three times, ended up parking about a mile from the TH. Thanks for those hunters giving me a push, also a good timing to have snow tires and a shovel. Of course I wasn't quite prepared for hiking in deep snow, 6~10", wished having skis! There was a ski track all the way mostly following the trail, pretty impressive navigation through many downed trees. The track was a day old and packed just enough for me to hike w/o too much effort. It took me 3 hours to cover 3 miles.
The skier did a short run in the open then turned around. Originally I was thinking of getting up on Chowder Ridge, but the snow was too deep in the upper slopes. The divide has a nice 360 view and was great for star gazing. However, Aurora never showed up and I didn't get much sleep. I really wished for my skis, would have enjoyed the powdery slopes at least...
maybe Aurora, 300mi North?
maybe Aurora, 300mi North?
Orion rising
Orion rising
Skyline Divide
Skyline Divide
Skyline Divide
Skyline Divide
Stopped at Nooksack Falls on my way out. I had never seen it before, found it pretty interesting.

ejain, Nancyann, hapemask, Josh Journey, ozzy, Tom, Olympic Hiker, reststep, awilsondc  KascadeFlat
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostTue Nov 02, 2021 1:04 am 
Nice! I saw your car parked when I drove up the road Saturday. Made it to the very last switchback before the trailhead when snow stopped me. Beautiful area, even the road has some stellar views.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Nov 04, 2021 12:01 am 
Kenji wrote:
Nice seal capture (my wife sees a dog or lion).

Kenji

Kenji
PostThu Nov 04, 2021 10:49 am 
Tom wrote:
Nice seal capture (my wife sees a dog or lion).
It's got a big jaw, looks more like a lion to me wink.gif