Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > WA state will soon require facemasks statewide
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 6:17 pm 
That would require acting for the common good of all rather than ones own self interest. Other than those in the military a lot of our fellow Americans have no conception of sacrifice. No one likes the inconvenience.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 6:38 pm 
You might call me a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 6:58 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
If we are so terrible, why do you spend time in Warshington?
I have a place over there, plus family and friends, I pretty much split time between the two.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 8:10 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
....however, plenty of them are moving from Wa and Ca, especially in the southern part
Why would anyone move to a state where you would have to drive around with a license plate that said "famous potatoes"? You haven't answered my previous question, so I will try again: An apt analogy to the mandate for wearing a mask during a pandemic is a DUI law. Both are meant to try protect people from harm caused by the careless actions of others. So, logically, you should either think that both are reasonable, or both are violations of your rights. If not, why not?

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 8:50 pm 
I don't think that your "Analogy" is very accurate. If I am drinking, then I drive, I have made a decision that could very well harm other AND more important is against the law. Not wearing a mask is not a violation of the law, it is a violation of a mandate" and from what I understand it is not exactly the same thing. Now, if I am sick and go out in public while not wearing a mask, then that would be different, of course I would simply stay home, which is pretty much what I do when I drink.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 9:40 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Not wearing a mask is not a violation of the law,
Read the directive carefully https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1600/coronavirus/Secretary_of_Health_Order_20-03_Statewide_Face_Coverings.pdf My understanding is while the intent is to encourage voluntary face covering usage -- the county health officers do have the authority to impose various penalties. In the case of a customer becoming beligerent on being refused entry to a place of business without a face covering -- police of course can arrest such an indivudal for tresspassing and/or disturbing the peace -- or assault if they escalate the conflict to that degree with the businesses employees. Also recall that Mary Mallon was involuntarily detained for 26 years because of her repeated refusal to follow the directives of county health officers, resulting in numerous deaths.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 10:21 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Now, if I am sick and go out in public while not wearing a mask, then that would be different
Aren't you aware that people can be asymptomatic and infectious for an indeterminate period? That's why cases keep increasing. Like this: Covid-19 outbreak reported in 15 fraternity houses at University of Washington

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 10:55 pm 
Ok, you guys have convinced me, you are all knowing and so very well informed, so who am I to argue? I will just respond with some song lyrics and leave you all to it.... "Tonight's the night we'll make history, honey, you and I And I'll take any risk to tie back the hands of time And stay with you here tonight I know you feel these are the worst of times I do believe it's true When people lock their doors and hide inside Rumor has it it's the end of Paradise But I know, if the world just passed us by Baby I know, you wouldn't have to cry". The Best of Times....pretty sure that these are not, but I for one will not lock my doors and hide inside, life is too short.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 11:00 pm 
But wait, I found a "loophole". Exemptions: Those with a medical condition, mental health condition.... Read the directive carefully https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1600/coronavirus/Secretary_of_Health_Order_20-03_Statewide_Face_Coverings.pdf wink.gif

catsp

catsp
PostSat Jul 04, 2020 11:04 pm 
CC wrote:
An apt analogy to the mandate for wearing a mask during a pandemic is a DUI law. Both are meant to try protect people from harm caused by the careless actions of others. So, logically, you should either think that both are reasonable, or both are violations of your rights. If not, why not?
It’s not a good analogy because the DUI law prohibits those who are drunk from driving. But the mask mandate applies regardless of whether you are “drunk” (i.e., infected). I think that for the analogy to work, it would be a mandate that those who are infected wear a mask.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jul 05, 2020 1:43 am 
I wish people would stop quoting the vile perverts.

Gil

Gil
PostSun Jul 05, 2020 7:22 am 
My wife and I stopped at Der Baring Store on the way to a hike yesterday. Hadn't been there in a few years, but saw that it had reopened and wanted to give them at least a little business. I was so disappointed. No one inside wore a mask -- not the two workers, not the two customers already inside. We bought soda and chips and quickly left. I won't be back until some future when the virus is tamed. If a business doesn't care about my well-being, I'll have to go elsewhere.

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Roly Poly

Roly Poly
PostSun Jul 05, 2020 7:27 am 
I’m sure Chief Joseph is pouring over all the latest publications in scientific journals and really following the science, like this recent paper. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32335167/

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jul 05, 2020 8:38 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
But wait, I found a "loophole". Exemptions: Those with a medical condition, mental health condition.... Read the directive carefully https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Documents/1600/coronavirus/Secretary_of_Health_Order_20-03_Statewide_Face_Coverings.pdf wink.gif
Fine if you actually have a medical need. Is that what your claiming? Or are you one of those folks that claims their poorly trained pet is a "service animal" and takes it everywhere?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jul 05, 2020 9:21 am 
This becomes something of a moot issue on Tuesday, July 7th, when Washington State businesses will be required to turn customers away who are not wearing masks.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."