Forum Index > Trail Talk > Favorite scrambles.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 12:15 pm 
Kinda new to this scrambling thing, I have been doing them for a few years and not very frequently looking for some good ideas. Being in looking for scrambles I'm looking for no rope required routes. Right now my favorite that I've done is Kloochman rock. Also random question what the heck makes a scramble? I've seen some people call Mt Adams south a scramble. Id say it's a steep hike requiring an ice axe and crampons for safety, but as I said I'm new to this. I have Washington scrambles by Peggy Goldman but it's hard to tell what class they are based on here 1-5 skill level scale.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
awilsondc

awilsondc
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 12:28 pm 
To me, scrambling involves off trail steep terrain often requiring the use of your hands. Class 3 and 4 primarily although some class 2 would probably be considered scrambling. Some of my favorites are Red Mountain (snoqualmie), Hibox, Mount Thomson, Del Campo (a classic) and Gothic, Vesper Peak (mostly class 2), North Twin and South Twin (some of the best rock in the state), Columbia Peak, Mount Stone, The Brothers, Mount Constance, Cashmere, Columbia Peak, Ragged Ridge, anything in The Pickets (West McMillan Spire, Luna) and my personal favorite Mount Stuart via Ulrich's Couloir.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 12:41 pm 
Great post Aaron. If you're new to scrambling I would recommend routes that are typically considered class 2 or 3. To me, class 2 is off-trail hiking and class 3 is "scrambling" where the use of hands is needed (mostly for balance) & there may be some exposure and consequences for falling. It is hard to infer "difficulty" from the rating however as some routes that are only considered "class 2" may involve strenuous, difficult off-trail hiking across talus and rough ground, snow travel where you'd want an axe and crampons etc, and some that are "class 3" may only have one true class 3 move and the rest is an easy hike. Some of those on Aaron's list I would hesitate to recommend to a true beginner like Constance or the Pickets trips as they are pretty committing. Where are you located? Some less-committing scrambles on the i-90 corridor are the Mount Si Haystack, McClellan Butte, Red, Kaleetan. I really like Kaleetan in particular because it has a lot of variety: Trail hike to a scenic lake, steep climbers path, off-trail navigation, class 2 and minor class 3 without much exposure, and a great summit view. And when you're done you feel like you actually climbed a real mountain. Note there is probably still snow on the route so you might want to wait a few more weeks on that one unless you're competent with an axe and crampons.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 1:01 pm 
Many good choices already listed. A few others I can think of. Bean Peak (can be combined w/ Earl Peak via a ridge run) South Peak of Ingalls Hidden Lake Peak (not the lookout) Little Annapurna Dragontail

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 1:11 pm 
Jake. I'm out of Yakima. Last week I grabbed Mastiff, and was almost up Howard but decided to turn back due to the fact it was unfamiliar terrain and the final push was whiteout and had been since I got a view of it from the SW ridge of mastiff so I did not expect it was going anywhere. That was a fun route, however I did not find it to be very challenging, but did think it was fun. Ended up heading out the way we came in taking the ridge south of lost lake to settle in for the night by the lake. I do a little bouldering with a friend as well so a semi technical move or two is not a big deal to me. I also have no issues turning back if I can tell I'm about to get in over my head, I have 2 times in last year both because of white out conditions that were present in my goal summit.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 1:19 pm 
I've heard people use two completely different meaning for scrambling. Generally it's when you need your hands for balance sometimes, if you brought poles the scramble starts when you need to put them away. But some people use it to mean anything off trail where you're doing your own navigation. The Teanaway has a lot of options. Everything up in Gothic Basin was great but it sounds like that's a long trip for you. Enchantments has a lot of good options.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jun 24, 2020 1:43 pm 
I am not much into "scrambling". I have done Mt Forgotten and Vesper, you do need to used both hands and feet in places, so I suppose that would be defined as "light scrambling".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 11:42 am 
Check out Peggy Goldman's book Washington Scrambles. It has lots of good peaks. It will keep you busy for a long time.

JPH

JPH
PostThu Jun 25, 2020 1:37 pm 
This one looks pretty good: Ingredients 8 bacon strips, diced 2 cups diced red potatoes 1/2 cup chopped onion 1/2 cup chopped green pepper 8 large eggs 1/4 cup whole milk 1 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon pepper 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese Directions In a 9-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels to drain. Cook and stir potatoes in drippings over medium heat for 12 minutes or until tender. Add onion and green pepper. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Stir in bacon. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper; add to skillet. Cook and stir until eggs are completely set. Sprinkle with cheese; stir it in or let stand until melted.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostFri Jun 26, 2020 8:49 am 
That looks like an excellent pre-scramble scramble. Hah.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 10:55 pm 
Thanks for the great replies. I have some great stuff to look into and cook now. Now that I have a few days off work I can get caught back up on my trip planning.

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 10:26 am 
MangyMarmot wrote:
Check out Peggy Goldman's book Washington Scrambles. It has lots of good peaks. It will keep you busy for a long time.
I got this book when I first started scrambling and I’m not a big fan of it. Many of them are not scrambles, just hikes where you have to go off trail a little bit. And on the more difficult and interesting ones she often includes bad beta, so the scrambler has to go off and do their own other research anyways.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 10:45 am 
Not sure if you can find a copy anywhere, but Dave Fish's book "Rambling and Scrambling around the Mountain Loop Hwy" has a wealth of info on that specific area.

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 11:18 am 
Star Peak and Courtney Peak were scrambles that were not scary but were great fun. Oval Peak in the same area sounds great too although I didn't make it over there.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 12:40 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Not sure if you can find a copy anywhere, but Dave Fish's book "Rambling and Scrambling around the Mountain Loop Hwy" has a wealth of info on that specific area.
I have this book. The art and graphics are superb. There is little text other than what is drawn on the individual routes. The author has a knack for displaying the terrain in a realistic bird's eye perspective. Here's a thread with some illustrations. ~z