Forum Index > Trail Talk > Goodbye and thank you
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 8:46 pm 
BPJ - one of my favorite memories on the trail was getting to Ptarmigan Lake and finding clothes dotting the shore - - - and yes, Gus discovered a "wood nymph" swimming from the island back to shore - stark naked! It was nice meeting you! lol.gif Joe - so sorry to read this post and the challenges you face. Hoping for the best. Be well, my friend.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 9:03 pm 
One of my (Altibabe) first memories of NWHikers was finding a trip report in 2005 by BPJ to some beautiful lakes I’d been eyeballing in topo. Your trip report was complete with shadow man and tarp tent selfies and I still remember it to this day. Since then, we’ve actually got to meet and hike in person and I’ve drooled over all your Curtis Rafts. We stopped posting here but this news urged me to log in and say something to someone a consider a friend even though it’s been years. Life can throws lots of difficult curveballs your way but I like to think that it doesn’t throw anything you’re not equipped to handle. We’ll be thinking about you. Cheers Tom. - Schmidt Altitude

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 9:54 pm 
I remember you running into Harvey Manning and having a beer on Tiger Mountain.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 1:34 pm 
You are all wonderful people. Im glad I posted this thread. Thank you for the large text, it makes all tyhis much easier. Ill try and kstay aroujd ass long as I can. At some poine Ill probably try and have a gear give away. No point in having all this stuff if I cant use it. Hecck, Ive got four McHale packs to give away! And so much more. If Im past tyhe point of no return Ill have someone else post the give away information. Thanks to everyone.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
reststep

reststep
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 2:25 pm 
Sorry to hear about this Tom. Hopefully you will still be able to do some hiking and contribute here. This is one my favorite pictures you posted.
Having fun in the spillway
Having fun in the spillway

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 2:38 pm 
So sorry to see this, BPJ. I cannot even imagine it. I have always been a big fan of your contributions. I am sure you have thought of this, and it may be cold comfort, but I know they have very sophisticated voice activation and dictation technology, that should enable you to "read" and post anything online without seeing at all.

mb

mb
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 7:31 pm 
Sorry to hear of this BPJ. You're one of the big contributors here! Losing eyesight is scary! Hopefully you can find someone local to you to show you some of the computer accessibility tricks, from magnification (try ctrl-scrollwheel) to automatic reading and dictation.

blendergasket

blendergasket
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 7:40 pm 
In the early or 2000s I had a room in a guy's house who was so dyslexic he was unable to read. He got himself through a master's degree with a scanner and Dragon text to speech/speech to text. I'm not sure if there is better software out there now, but I strongly suggest you look into that software and it's competitors.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 8:20 pm 
Tom, I am so sorry to hear about this bad news and difficult times that lie ahead for you. Prayers for wisdom and answers/solutions to the problems that will come, courage as you pursue this difficult journey and peace through the process. I think it was C.S. Lewis that said "Never forget in the darkness what you have learned in the light". Hold on and remember. And I truly hope you will find a way to stay in touch. Technology is so clever these days...

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 8:27 pm 
Hey BPJ, I echo all the comments here about your great contributions to the site over many years. You’ve been and I hope you will remain a stalwart. Thank you. Don’t lose hope. You’ll find a way to keep hiking.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 pm 
Backpacker Joe - I am going to miss you. frown.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 7:17 am 
Redwic wrote:
Backpacker Joe - I am going to miss you. frown.gif
Not as much as Im going miss all of you. Thank you all. Tom

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Dockery

Jim Dockery
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 9:25 am 
Tom, I'm so sorry to hear this. I'm with everyone else on your contributions to NWH. I don't participate much any more, but it was great getting back in touch with you here so many years after our days at Marmot. I always appreciated your TRs, and viewpoints, which often were different than mine, but I like hearing the other side from an intelligent perspective. I know the days ahead will be tough, but not impossible. Many blind people still hike and climb with assistance and I'm sure you can figure it out. For sure the computer stuff will be possible for you. Please keep us in the loop as you move forward into the next phase of your life. Good luck and stay strong.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 1:17 pm 
Hey Tom! I'm sending some awesome vibes your way ... I read a few of your TRs and was I happy to actually meet you at Heart Lake along the 7 Lakes/High Divide Loop, Olympics. we hiked out together and every now and then you'll say, my dogs are killing me! not wanting to say, "ain't no dogs around, bud. watcha smokin'?", I kept on hiking that long 8 miler + slog back to the parking lot! you were a trooper and hung in there. when I got home, I mentioned to my husband that you kept saying: my dogs are killing me! he explained this idiom and I laughed as I never heard it said out loud before! lol.gif thanks for your contribution to this site! take care and hoping you'll use some of the advice given. I enjoyed reading your adventures with your nephew, too! hope he'll be able to come and help you out! namaste, bobbi

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
toms_strat

toms_strat
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 11:08 am 
5 years ago I asked a question on here and got a lot of laughs. It was you who connected and shared with me a secret spot. That trail got me searching out more unexplored trails and made me evolve my hikes beyond belief! Thank you SO MUCH from a personal level. If you need ANYTHING, just say the word.