Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSat Jun 27, 2020 8:21 pm 
Neek wrote:
And will anyone actually learn a lesson? Who knows.
Actually, what bugged me the most about the whole story (and all related stories about mask wearing in the media) is the uncivil and unkind way people treat strangers (and service workers of all kinds) in public. When did simple civility and respect start going so down the tubes in America? Remember how everyone pulled together after 9/11? What happened to that attitude?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 6:34 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Neek wrote:
And will anyone actually learn a lesson? Who knows.
Actually, what bugged me the most about the whole story (and all related stories about mask wearing in the media) is the uncivil and unkind way people treat strangers (and service workers of all kinds) in public. When did simple civility and respect start going so down the tubes in America? Remember how everyone pulled together after 9/11? What happened to that attitude?
I read that it is the fault of South Park. Plus, the generation that my mom belonged to is mostly dead now. She was all set to rejoin the Marines if they'd let her after that attack. Those folks were the tough ones--The Depression then WW2. I thought of that generation when people were whining about how the Class of 2020 has it so rough. At least they don't have to go right from high school into a bloody war.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 6:53 pm 
The problem is masks became a political emblem, at least for some. It was ok before then soon battle lines formed.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
CC
cascade curmudgeon

CC
cascade curmudgeon
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 9:32 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
Remember how everyone pulled together after 9/11? What happened to that attitude?
It lasted about 2 weeks. The resulting increases in Islamophobia and xenophobia have shown much stronger lasting power though, going on 20 years now.

First your legs go, then you lose your reflexes, then you lose your friends. Willy Pep
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 11:59 am 
CC wrote:
The resulting increases in Islamophobia and xenophobia have shown much stronger lasting power though, going on 20 years now.
True enough. I hadn't considered that. Meanwhile, the San Diego barista's tip kitty is now over $100K. Average tip around $13.

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 3:52 pm 
Great story with a happy ending. biggrin.gif

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 8:49 pm 
Final total when the GFMe was shut down: $105,450. The fundraiser delivered the loot in a suitcase! eek.gif Arranging that with a bank must have been interesting. Probably the best thing to come out of all the mask insanity, eh? tongue.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 pm 
okay great but.....
Ski wrote:
So... my only question now is: has Amber Lynn Gilles been fired from her job yet? lol.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 9:53 am 
Ski wrote:
okay great but.....
Ski wrote:
So... my only question now is: has Amber Lynn Gilles been fired from her job yet? lol.gif
In true "Karen" style, she is demanding a cut of the GoFundMe proceeds https://www.comicsands.com/starbucks-face-mask-karen-money-2646313702.html
Quote:
That does not mean it hasn't made waves. In fact, Amber's outbursts have cost her a job. Previously, Amber was a yoga instructor with The Yoga Alliance, but they have revoked her membership and released a statement speaking out against her behavior. It appears there was no lesson learned by Karen/Amber, but for the rest of us "don't start none, won't be none" is a good takeaway

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 10:08 am 
up.gif maybe loss of employment and financial disaster will get the message across to the idiots. "Mark of the Beast" ? Is that part of the "Q-Anon" crackpot thing?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 10:29 am 
Ski wrote:
maybe loss of employment and financial disaster will get the message across to the idiots.
Seems unlikely to me. "Yoga Instructors" don't make a ton of dough, if that was her only income, she wouldn't be getting coffee at Starbucks. It seems likely she has a trust fund or a sugar daddy or some other source of income. Her behavior is certainly consistent with other "Trustafarians" I've encountered.

gb

gb
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 10:58 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
Final total when the GFMe was shut down: $105,450. The fundraiser delivered the loot in a suitcase! eek.gif Arranging that with a bank must have been interesting. Probably the best thing to come out of all the mask insanity, eh? tongue.gif
Interesting story. a College education courtesy of Ambler's ignorance.

neek

neek
PostWed Jul 08, 2020 11:09 am 
gb wrote:
Interesting story. a College education courtesy of Ambler's ignorance.
Ha! That's messing with my head. A new business plan is simmering. Not that monetizing outrage is a new idea...