Forum Index > Trail Talk > Indian Heaven
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
drm

drm
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 11:50 am 
If you're looking to visit Indian Heaven Wilderness in the southern Gifford Pinchot when the snow is mostly gone but before the mosquitoes fully take over, that would be now. I camped at Junction Lake last week, still snow on the trail in patches and snow banks and in north-facing prospects. But not a navigation issue and the lake was melted out. So was Blue and Bear. There were some mosquitoes but nothing like it will be soon. Probably too late for the lower lakes (Thomas, Placid) and I expect that the higher lakes (Deep, Wapiki) will be a bit more snowy, whih might be a good thing tongue.gif . If you want to see pics, check out the report over at https://www.oregonhikers.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=28994&view=unread#unread

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 1:11 pm 
Timely report - thanks 👍 Wapiki and Deep are melted out per the latest satellite imagery, but still some snow en route (especially Deep from the northern approach). Have you ever been up E. Crater (referring to the actual cone, not the namesake trail)?

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 3:32 pm 
we camped at Takhlakh lake ( 4200 feet) on the Northwest side of Adams a couple days ago and the snow was gone ( except deep forest patches) but the mosquitos were FIERCE! eek.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 4:35 pm 
lookout bob wrote:
the mosquitos were FIERCE! eek.gif
I bought a Thermacell portable repeller so in a weird way, I'm actually looking for a buggy spot so I can see if it actually works. Never thought I'd be seeking the skeeters out!

Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 4:40 pm 
fourteen410 wrote:
Have you ever been up E. Crater (referring to the actual cone, not the namesake trail)?
East Crater is neat, it's extremely quiet inside. Sadly I never went to it before the fire burned up most of the trees on it.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
drm

drm
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 5:52 pm 
I have not been up the actual East Crater. The north side did not burn and it's on my list to do some time, I've seen photos from inside.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 11:05 pm 
I was considering doing a similar route tomorrow, but decided to go with another trail. But I was wondering about skeeters. I get eaten alive at work it seems like a lot by them, and would rather avoid them on the trail.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 11:53 pm 
Thanks for the TR and info! And pics (in the link) too. smile.gif

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 8:49 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
I bought a Thermacell portable repeller so in a weird way, I'm actually looking for a buggy spot so I can see if it actually works. Never thought I'd be seeking the skeeters out!
Joe has one of these and he's brought it on a few trips. They work pretty well!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jun 30, 2020 9:36 am 
fourteen410 wrote:
lookout bob wrote:
the mosquitos were FIERCE! eek.gif
I remain undecided on the thermacell thing. I have one and have not been impressed, but I need to use it more. Plus, one time with other people, I drank too many beers and forgot and left it going all night so it was dead by morning. I had no more refills (of themacell stuff) so it was useless for the rest of the campout. I have it stashed in the trailer along with refills. There were no mosquitoes up where I was last week, yet. On the country around Takhlakh, we cruised timber in that area during August . There were mosquitoes in the morning, then as the day warmed up, the flies took over. Things became really bad in the early afternoon and we'd have to quit as it was very hard to hold clinometers still with flies biting hands and face.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
drm

drm
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:27 am 
Thermacells definitely work, and as an endorsement, on a recent trip to Alaska, where they should know, it was recommended that I buy one. They are available everywhere up there. I would add though that a Thermacell is just a butane powered mosquito coil, and mosquito coils are a lot cheaper. I've never actually taken a coil on a backpacking trip and of course they smoke a lot more. With Thermacells, there is no smoke, just the vapor. Although mosquitoes were not too bad where I was on this trip, they get worse quite quickly this time of year.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:50 am 
Are you talking about the standard thermacell or the backpacker that screws onto a fuel canister that is used with stoves like this https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/thermacell-backpacker-mosquito-repeller?a=2183680&szc=000&clrc=000&pm2d=CSE-SPG-15-PLA&utm_medium=PLA&utm_source=Google&utm_campaign=CI&&gclid=CjwKCAjwi_b3BRAGEiwAemPNU-1WOy_xN5mx1wkjgmy8IADVJBF60eGqr0T2kp71nWHlww5KkFco-BoCRh8QAvD_BwE I've been wanting to get the backpacker, but reviews seen a little lacking.

I may not be the smartest, I may not be the strongest, but I don't want to be. I only want to be the best I can be.
drm

drm
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 1:28 pm 
My Thermacell is more like this one https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/thermacell-mr450-repeller?a=2095369&_br_psugg_q=thermacell though this is a newer model, mine is a few years old. I wouldn't think it would matter what the heat energy source is.

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster

SwitchbackFisher
Boot buster
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 1:52 pm 
drm wrote:
My Thermacell is more like this one https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/thermacell-mr450-repeller?a=2095369&_br_psugg_q=thermacell though this is a newer model, mine is a few years old. I wouldn't think it would matter what the heat energy source is.
That is what I thought. I suppose you are correct about the heat source maybe I just should make the purchase. I have one that's probably 10 years old now I've used car camping and it makes a difference i think. I've thought about hanging it off my bag as I hike but even when I stop or slow down it would probably take a while to become effective.

drm

drm
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 3:33 pm 
I never use it when I'm hiking. If going to a bad mosquito area, I treat my clothes with permethrin and take a head net, though it is extremely rare that I need that. Basically I use it to hang around camp at the end of the day.