Forum Index > Trip Reports > Basalt Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ree

ree
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 10:05 am 
I didn't take a lot of pictures because this hike isn't that epic. I'm going to post pictures first bc most people prefer that to reading. But I promise to save the best for last.
Steve finds an insulator
Steve finds an insulator
finally on the ridge
finally on the ridge
not sure which peak this is
1 label
not sure which peak this is
pano from Basalt Ridge
pano from Basalt Ridge
snag forest on top
snag forest on top
This hike is almost 6 miles and 3,500' elevation gain one way. It goes through a thick forest for about a third of the way up. Trail's pretty good. After that, it's an overgrown mess of brush and blowdowns. This trail hasn't been maintained for at least a decade. If you look left before you hit it, you can find a place to cut the switchbacks and go straight up the steep ridgeline. The rib kind of flattens out a bit and the forest opens up a little. You pass a nice spring on the right. There's some signage around here: right for Minnow Creek, left for Basalt Ridge. Turn left through a pleasant forest and after awhile it opens up to a snag forest. The trail is easy to follow but it steepens a bit more. Nice views of the Chiwawa River and surrounding mountains. If you decide to do this hike, bring a saw. hockeygrin.gif And bug spray. The best part of this hike, aside from the nice views, was the solitude. Great hike to get away from everyone running out to the trails during Covid. We had the trail to ourselves.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Jun 28, 2020 12:40 pm 
Yeah, the times I have been up there I had the place to myself also. Great views, thanks for the beta. up.gif I went up the Rock Creek trail last fall and was pleasantly surprised how well the trail was being maintained. Especially up to where a trail branches up the hill toward Basalt Peak (at around 2.5 miles). That trail looked very recently logged out with tread work. I assumed it was being done by the Mt. bike crowd and that the trail would be good all the way over. Maybe they drop back down to the Chikamin before getting to Basalt Peak (there are lots of bike trails in the Chikamin). I may do a quick one night trip up there just to check it out. I am definitely going back up Rock Creek to spend the night in the meadow by the beaver ponds.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 5:40 am 
Icicle outfitters and hunters do an excellent job on that trail up Rock Creek!! Kudos to them

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 7:32 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Icicle outfitters and hunters do an excellent job on that trail up Rock Creek!! Kudos to them
Yes, I didn't mean to imply Mt. bike people were maintaining the main Rock Creek trail since it crosses into the wilderness not far past the Basalt Peak junction. I have great respect and happy feelings for all the trail work done by horse groups. Add my Kudos to them! As an update to my original post, my daughter told me she took her dog up to Basalt peak this past weekend, going up the way ree did but looping down to the Rock Creek trail. Her comments confirmed what ree posted and my assumption. Specifically, lots of downfall going up from the Finner TH and a good trail going down in to Rock Creek.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jun 29, 2020 2:46 pm 
Icicle outfitter runs camps way at the end so you can be assured by Sept 15ish that trail will be logged out.