Forum Index > Trip Reports > Salmo-Priest Loop WTA BCRT and NE Washington summits June 24-30, 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RichP

RichP
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:19 am 
I signed up for a BCRT with WTA in The Salmo-Priest Wilderness and was unsure if it would be cancelled due to the pandemic. The trip ended up happening so I thought I'd combine it with some peak bagging in the area before and after as this is a remote part of the state. On the trip up I visited North Baldy Mtn which is a drive up summit near Usk. Cross the bridge over The Pend Oreille in town and go north to signed Mill Ck Rd which takes you to the top. Higher up a brief and violent hail storm started and I parked to wait to out. The last 1/4 mile of the road was rough enough that I walked. A couple of trees had fallen across the road on the way down which I cleared.
After a brief and violent storm headed to North Baldy summit.
After a brief and violent storm headed to North Baldy summit.
North Baldy Mountain, 6173.'
North Baldy Mountain, 6173.'
A road goes to the top of North Baldy but was too rough the last 1/4 mile for my car. This is a Wa P2k summit.
A road goes to the top of North Baldy but was too rough the last 1/4 mile for my car. This is a Wa P2k summit.
I then drove up to Sullivan Mtn outside of Metaline Falls to visit a standing lookout. The last bit had some trees down on the road.
Some trees on the last 1/2 mile to Sullivan Mtn Lookout.
Some trees on the last 1/2 mile to Sullivan Mtn Lookout.
Sullivan Mtn Lookout, 6483.'
Sullivan Mtn Lookout, 6483.'
Gypsy Peak and others.
Gypsy Peak and others.
From there I continued up to Salmo Mtn Lookout and camped for the night as it is a short distance from where I would meet with the WTA crew for the work party on The Salmo-Priest Loop in the morn.
Almost nighttime on Salmo Mtn Lookout. I camped just below the top.
Almost nighttime on Salmo Mtn Lookout. I camped just below the top.
Salmo Mtn Lookout the next morning.
Salmo Mtn Lookout the next morning.
The actual highpoint of Salmo Mtn is a short distance from the lookout, 6880.'
The actual highpoint of Salmo Mtn is a short distance from the lookout, 6880.'
Gypsy Peak. This is the highest point in Wa east of the Cascades.
Gypsy Peak. This is the highest point in Wa east of the Cascades.
At 8:30am we met for the lowdown on new rules to follow social distancing guidelines during the BCRT. We then started on the 5-mile descent to the South Salmo River clearing downfall along the way. When we got to the river it was evident that crossing would be unsafe as the water was high and fast. We camped for the night and started the hike back up the following morning. Along the way we worked on some brushing and drainage issues.
Salmo-Priest Loop Trailhead.
Salmo-Priest Loop Trailhead.
Masking up when necessary.
Masking up when necessary.
Cleared.
Cleared.
The South Salmo River was too deep to ford safely so we camped nearby and humped the 5 miles and 1700' of gain back up to the trailhead to work from the other end of the loop.
The South Salmo River was too deep to ford safely so we camped nearby and humped the 5 miles and 1700' of gain back up to the trailhead to work from the other end of the loop.
Back at the trailhead we took a brief break and continued out in a counterclockwise direction on the loop. We found plenty of work to do on this side of the trail. We set up camp at the junction of The Shedroof Divide about 3 miles in.
Working counterclockwise on the Salmo-Priest Loop.
Working counterclockwise on the Salmo-Priest Loop.
Camping at the junction of Shedroof Divide.
Camping at the junction of Shedroof Divide.
In the morning we continued on the loop into Idaho section and logged off the trail until snow stopped our progress within a few miles.
Along the Salmo-Priest Loop.
Along the Salmo-Priest Loop.
This skid worked well. The log rolled right off with little effort after cutting.
This skid worked well. The log rolled right off with little effort after cutting.
Shedroof Mtn.
Shedroof Mtn.
Headed back to camp after encountering the trail covered in snow. We logged about 5 miles of trail on each end of the loop. A WTA crew will go in during July to finish the rest.
Headed back to camp after encountering the trail covered in snow. We logged about 5 miles of trail on each end of the loop. A WTA crew will go in during July to finish the rest.
My camp.
My camp.
Since we returned to camp early I took advantage of the time and weather to visit Shedroof Mtn about 2 miles up the Shedroof Divide Trail. I could also report back on trail conditions for an upcoming BCRT there. Thunder started as I was on top so I hastily returned to camp. That night was stormy.
I took a hike to the summit of Shedroof Mtn after a day of work. A spur trail goes to the top which used to have a lookout.
I took a hike to the summit of Shedroof Mtn after a day of work. A spur trail goes to the top which used to have a lookout.
Sign on Shedroof Mtn summit.
Sign on Shedroof Mtn summit.
The outhouse is still standing.
The outhouse is still standing.
BM on Shedroof Mtn.
BM on Shedroof Mtn.
North Priest Lake in the distance.
North Priest Lake in the distance.
On the way out the following day we logged numerous trees toward the trailhead that we had left and completed about 10 miles of the 19-mile loop. Another crew will be headed in during July to finish the rest. After the BCRT I met up with Daniel, a peakbagging buddy for some summits. Abercrombie from the west was up first.
Flume Creek Trail on the west side of Abercrombie Mtn.
Flume Creek Trail on the west side of Abercrombie Mtn.
Flume Ck Trail.
Flume Ck Trail.
Some garbage that I hauled out.
Some garbage that I hauled out.
Abercrombie from the saddle on the north side.
Abercrombie from the saddle on the north side.
The south side of Abercrombie.
The south side of Abercrombie.
Abercrombie Mtn summit, 7308.' This ranks as the 7th most prominent summit in the state after the volcanos and Mt Stuart.
Abercrombie Mtn summit, 7308.' This ranks as the 7th most prominent summit in the state after the volcanos and Mt Stuart.
SW.
SW.
South.
South.
We then drove down to Ione and crossed the river to Sullivan Lake Rd for Molybdenite, another P2k. A gated spur road off of Paupac Rd signed 100 goes to a short bushwhack up to and old trail that lead to the long gone lookout.
Walking Rd 100 toward Molybdenite Mtn.
Walking Rd 100 toward Molybdenite Mtn.
Firefinder on Molybdenite Mtn summit.
Firefinder on Molybdenite Mtn summit.
Molybdenite Mtn, 6784.'
Molybdenite Mtn, 6784.'
South view from Molybdenite.
South view from Molybdenite.
We camped on Old Dominion Mtn near Colville but no pics for that one as it was night and the morning was in a cloud. The road is horrendous but I somehow got a Forester up to the top. Up Aladdin Rd to Mt Rogers from the Roger Mtn Trailhead. Take Rd 500 (Kolle Ck).
Roger Mtn Trailhead to Mt Rogers.
Roger Mtn Trailhead to Mt Rogers.
We are going to the point at 2.5 miles.
We are going to the point at 2.5 miles.
Some big shrooms along the trail.
Some big shrooms along the trail.
Rogers Benchmark or Rogers Mt.
Rogers Benchmark or Rogers Mt.
Lookout remains on Rogers Mtn.
Lookout remains on Rogers Mtn.
Old Dominion. We did a nighttime drive up and camped on that one.
Old Dominion. We did a nighttime drive up and camped on that one.
Storms are brewing.
Storms are brewing.
The last peak was a rough drive up and short bushwack. Lime Ck Mtn also off of Aladdin Rd. Turn off on Black Canyon Rd and drive as far as your nerves and vehicle allow you.
Looking for the highest stump on Lime Ck Mountain, a Wa P2k.
Looking for the highest stump on Lime Ck Mountain, a Wa P2k.
Headed back to the cars after a short bushwhack on Lime Ck Mtn, 4739.'
Headed back to the cars after a short bushwhack on Lime Ck Mtn, 4739.'

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:24 am 
up.gif glad to hear these are still on; I'm signed up for one next month. I assume they ask everyone to drive separately?

RichP

RichP
PostWed Jul 01, 2020 10:32 am 
neek wrote:
I assume they ask everyone to drive separately?
All of us did but that would be a personal choice as it's not during actual work time.

altasnob

altasnob
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 8:34 am 
Cool area. Could you see any of the glacier clad Canadian peaks from the top of Abercrombie or other summits? Like the Valhallas or peaks in Kokanee Provincial Park? I see some snowy mountains off in the distance in some of the photos but looks like those are the Idaho Selkirks?

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 8:38 am 
Thanks for all the hard work! Also, really nice trip getting all those peaks. I have been meaning to check out that area for a long time now. The whole place is a big blank spot on the map for me. Good to see some pics of the current conditions, looks like a really nice place. up.gif

RichP

RichP
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 8:46 am 
altasnob wrote:
Could you see any of the glacier clad Canadian peaks from the top of Abercrombie or other summits?
Here's a view of some big Canadian peaks from Abercrombie. Not sure what they are.

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 8:57 am 
I believe that is the Valhallas - Gladsheim, etc. Cool!

RichP

RichP
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:16 am 
Thanks for identifying that, Jake.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 9:33 am 
thanks for doing the trailwork! At least go to Gimli Lakes in the Valhallas! https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8027712&highlight=valhallas

Art is an adventure.
OutOfOffice

OutOfOffice
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 10:38 am 
Thanks for the trail work and the peak ideas. I'll be in eastern WA next week and was thinking about going to the Salmo-Priest wilderness finally.

glenoid

glenoid
PostThu Jul 02, 2020 4:59 pm 
Thanks for the TR and the trail work!!! Been awhile since I haunted those areas. Looks like not much has changed, thankfully!!

Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostFri Jul 03, 2020 8:54 am 
Nice trip. You tagged a lot of sites of former lookouts, which not surprisingly often correspond with prominence points. I need to plan an extended trip to that remote part of the state.....maybe get very lucky and see grizzly tracks.

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
RichP

RichP
PostFri Jul 03, 2020 10:19 am 
Brushbuffalo wrote:
You tagged a lot of sites of former lookouts
I was hoping our trail crew would make it out as far as Little Snowy Top on The Salmo-Priest Loop. There was a standing lookout there until 2016 when it burned down. frown.gif Not sure if it was done intentionally or as a result of lightning. http://nhlr.org/lookouts/us/id/little-snowy-top-lookout/ Edit: Here's the story: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/dec/04/destroyed-little-snowy-top-lookout-provided-shelte/

bertman

bertman
PostFri Jul 03, 2020 6:09 pm 
Nice! Thanks for all the hard work. I wish I could have joined in the logout.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jul 03, 2020 10:28 pm 
Thanks for the trail work! Also, thanks for posting a TR from beyond the Cascades. Really nice to see. There's so much variety in the mountains and forests here in the NW.