Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > RIP Ennio Morricone 1928-2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 10:40 am 
RIP Ennio Morricone 1928 - 2020 Morricone's collaboration with Sergio Leone on "Once Upon a Time in the West" completely changed the way music was made for movies. (Or, to be more precise, how the movie was made for the music.) He also changed the manner in which music was made for movies, using non-conventional instruments and vocalizations. In hundreds of movies made since the mid-1960s, his techniques and styles have been imitated and improvised on by countless other movie soundtrack composers. (Glaringly apparent and sometimes amusing in "The Good, The Bad, The Weird".)
One of Morricone's and Leone's finer moments is "the crane shot" when Mrs. McBain (Claudia Cardinale) first arrives in the mythical "Flagstone". The scene was shot to the music, which Morricone had already composed, not (as had been the practice previously in cinema history) scored after the film had been shot and edited. Pure genius - two masters at the top of their game.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Jul 06, 2020 10:08 pm 

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Washakie

Washakie
PostTue Jul 07, 2020 10:23 am 
Sad. Great music. Nothing quite like it. I have enjoyed it for years. Also, listen to the soundtrack from The Mission.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Jul 10, 2020 10:34 am 
One of my favorite pieces of music. RIP Mr. Morricone.