Forum Index > Trip Reports > 62 peaks NV/UT, 100th ultra, 500th P2k, May 24-July 8, 2020
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
benneke

benneke
PostFri Jul 24, 2020 8:10 am 
Thanks! Question about Provo Peak access, did you approach from the north via Provo Canyon or from the south via Hobble Creek? I've heard the road from the south is a bit better but reports are mixed

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
benneke

benneke
PostFri Jul 24, 2020 8:10 am 
Thanks! Question about Provo Peak access, did you approach from the north via Provo Canyon or from the south via Hobble Creek? I've heard the road from the south is a bit better but reports are mixed

Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostMon Jul 27, 2020 10:25 am 
Good question. We came in from the south. I asked several people up there which way was better and everyone said both are really bad.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 6:51 am 
I can't tell you how much I enjoyed this trip report. It brought back so many memories of peaks I've climbed in Utah and Nevada with great guys like Dennis Poulin, Bob Bolton and Ken Jones to name a few. I now live in Utah and have experienced many times the horrible road that goes to provo Peak that you described so well. the stretch between CameL Pass and Kolob point IS the absolute WORST road I've been on in both states. Anyway, your pics and summaries are excellent and I'm glad you were able to share what you experienced. Of those peaks, Nebo, Ibapah and Notch are three of my favorites. Again, your reports are always great but this one hit the bullseye. Thank you.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 6:56 am 
I saw your question to gimpilator on the Provo peak access road and I've driven it both ways more than once. Do not access via Hobble Creek over Camel Pass, its absolutely the worst section ever. Come in through Provo Canyon and go south past the Hope and Rock Creek campgrounds. It gets bad after that but its not dangerous. I've actually driven that section twice in the last two months but I will never go beyond Kolob Point heading south towards Camel pass, that section of road scares the hell out of me. I live in Lehi Utah and used to live in Washington. Take care.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 7:52 am 
Dean, thanks for sharing your insight and experience. I hope it helps those who plan trips in the future. I've been a fan of yours since the SummitPost days and we've had many mutual hiking partners over the years, including the three guys you mentioned. It's really great to hear from you. Hope you are doing well. smile.gif

Jake Robinson

Jake Robinson
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 11:44 am 
Couldn't agree more with Dean. Your TRs are fun to read on their own but it was only when I started doing some of these peaks myself, and referencing your reports along the way, that I realized what an invaluable resource you are providing here. Keep it up up.gif

Fletcher

Fletcher
PostThu Aug 27, 2020 12:17 pm 
We all love you Adam!

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 2:03 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
Enroute to the summit hike, or from a nearby noteable site?

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 7:26 pm 
Those petroglyphs are located near the head of a canyon 2.5 miles east of Badger Mountain. I think I first saw mention of them in one of your reports John. Didn't you fully explore that canyon? We only poked around the top end of it briefly.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Oct 21, 2020 7:34 pm 
Gimpilator wrote:
Those petroglyphs are located near the head of a canyon 2.5 miles east of Badger Mountain. I think I first saw mention of them in one of your reports John. Didn't you fully explore that canyon? We only poked around the top end of it briefly.
OK, that's what I figured, Adam, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything closer to Tikaboo. I have a Forester now and figure I can get to the Badger/Tikaboo TH, or close enough. That "noteable" site is known in the literature as the Shooting Gallery. I didn't recognize those specific sheep elements, but it is an extensive area. One I'll return to! Thanks for the reply! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.