Forum Index > Trail Talk > FB group Washington hikers and climbers a good or bad thing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 11:56 am 
Ok we did stop there but went to the other side of the road where there is a campground and river access.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 1:43 pm 
I just checked out the facebook page for the first time. Lots of heavily saturated photos, real life looks like b&w to me now. Ouch. dell.gif

pula58

pula58
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 2:06 pm 
I really hate all the over-saturation people are adding to their photos these days. Freakish. To me, reality is beautiful enough, just as it is.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 2:28 pm 
I recently joined some FB groups and find them extremely difficult to follow. Definitely a different type of experience, almost overwhelming to keep up. Maybe I'm just used to traditional forums but I am surprised the trend for the last decade has been to FB groups. Not necessarily a reflection of the WHC group, never joined.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 3:02 pm 
pula58 wrote:
reality is beautiful enough, just as it is.
Not if the most important thing is to one-up the previous report...competitive hike gloating.

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 4:29 pm 
Goat Lake on the MLH is trending on there now..."Call someplace Paradise, and Kiss it Goodbye!".

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
crazyhiker

crazyhiker
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:08 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Goat Lake on the MLH is trending on there now..."Call someplace Paradise, and Kiss it Goodbye!".
Yeah, that one has trended a few times over there. Which is funny because it's a fairly mediocre alpine lake by WA standards. But I guess when you over saturate all the photos it can look like paradise.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:08 pm 
I like to see WHC post from people excited to take their kids camping along the American River, a woman who took her mom for her first hike,* and other nice postings, as well as LNT posts, and invitations for new hikers to join a spin-off page for ethics and other how-to's. I'm not sure if anything has been more instrumental for encouraging people from all walks of life and cultures to hike than WHC. The posed cheesecake photos are a bit over-the-top and narcissistic, but you have those on WTA's site as well. But of course, some cheesecakes are just gorgeous babes and hell, they can't help it if they're gorgeous and have killer gams. Sigh....I digress. I remember the days on this site where everyone fell all over themselves to do the same trip posted by Alta Dude & Alta Babe and Friends. While not on the same scale, it happened here, too. Long story short, at least the moderators try to inject LNT and other lessons here and there; they do, and frequently. They even had a workshop, and fundraisers. If that page shut down, the good part of it would be gone. *From WHC: "I took my mother hiking for her first time. What does my mom bring for lunch? Basically a 4 course meal. She brought home made enchiladas and everything that comes with it. Fruit all prepped with Chile and limón. Agua fresca AKA fresh fruit water. That’s not including the snacks. I have my favorite hiking partner 😂😂 #latinoshiking. "

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 5:30 pm 
Kim wrote:
I'm not sure if anything has been more instrumental for encouraging people from all walks of life and cultures to hike than WHC.
Well... that cannot be a negative... even if it cannot possibly be accurately quantified. I don't have Facebook so I guess I'm missing out on the gams, but I can always watch re-runs of South Pacific - Mitzi Gaynor had some of the greatest legs in the known universe. up.gif (* The "Agua Fresca" part intrigues me... has somebody put that in a disposable plastic bottle yet? dizzy.gif *)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 8:41 pm 
Go further than the day hikers/lurkers. That's where the life starts.

Art is an adventure.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jul 22, 2020 11:13 pm 
Stefan wrote:
Right, to the places where anyone in their right minds would avoid, yet to some is nirvana....but you have to work and probably suffer in order to get there. It's worth it.

coldrain108
Thundering Herd

coldrain108
Thundering Herd
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 1:14 pm 
Stefan wrote:
I Call it the 12 mile rule (used to be 10 miles). If a lake is involved add more miles...

Since I have no expectations of forgiveness, I don't do it in the first place. That loop hole needs to be closed to everyone.
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 10:32 pm 
Gotta COMPETE

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jul 23, 2020 11:05 pm 
pula58 wrote:
I really hate all the over-saturation people are adding to their photos these days. Freakish. To me, reality is beautiful enough, just as it is.
To be fair a photo is a 2D representation of reality. Everybody frames their pictures to show only the best side of what they're looking at. People use B&W in a color world, blur the background to guide your attention, and take pictures under dramatic instead of normal weather conditions. If they see a waterfall they use a slow shutter speed to blur it. I'm not sure how saturation became the one thing that really offends people. Even the idea of color is on shaky ground, progress experience it differently.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostFri Jul 24, 2020 12:01 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
I'm not sure how saturation became the one thing that really offends people.
Ya get these guys who start competin' over the larch colors. People get real into it. Gets outta hand. Other year, violence ensued! Gets outta hand.