Forum Index > Trail Talk > FB group Washington hikers and climbers a good or bad thing?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 7:16 pm 
Exactly, as you said “they will stop at nothing” so to me the only answer is education and enforcement, since they are not going to stop.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:12 pm 
dixon wrote:
Perhaps, but more likely that people will stop at nothing to get that perfect insta shot and the requisite social currency that keeps them relevant for another few hours #fitfam #hikingfordays #imawesome #lookatme
You don't know the reasons anybody else hikes. And you shouldn't try to pass a guess off as a fact.

guibo

guibo
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 6:38 am 
Are any of us any better than the desperate attention seekers on WHAC? I concluded I wasn't and hung up my boots for good. We pretend we're rugged individualists in Nature, but WHAC forced me to admit that I'm just another foot soldier in an invading army whose way is paved by...actually, it's just paved. Minus the automobile, I'm just an idiot on a couch. Nice and all if I find a more remote option than the gazillionth visitor to the shores of [choose one: Blanca, Colchuck, Serene, Goat, etc. etc.] or [High Rock, Fremont, Pilchuck] lookout, but my motivations and impact are just the same. I'm just a validation junkie honnobe (that's a Honnold wannabe). The real solution is to stop maintaining the roads leading to the trailheads and stop maintaining the trails themselves. Put the really beautiful places an extra couple of miles out of reach and people will lose interest. I'm all about it.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:41 am 
guibo wrote:
The real solution is to stop maintaining the roads leading to the trailheads and stop maintaining the trails themselves. Put the really beautiful places an extra couple of miles out of reach and people will lose interest. I'm all about it.
I cannot express how much I disagree with this philosophy. It would thin the crowds, but the price is too high.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 10:45 am 
guibo wrote:
The real solution is to stop maintaining the roads leading to the trailheads and stop maintaining the trails themselves. Put the really beautiful places an extra couple of miles out of reach and people will lose interest. I'm all about it.
Nonsense. We only want to stop Facebook people from hiking. Still want to do it ourselves.

guibo

guibo
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 11:38 am 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
I cannot express how much I disagree with this philosophy. It would thin the crowds, but the price is too high.
That's the cost of protecting the place from the crowds. The crowds are we, I'm afraid. Makes no difference for me--the numbers have already cost me what I enjoyed about the places, so if the cost of letting the wild take over again is that it makes it impossible for me to get out to trails, the outcome is the same.

guibo

guibo
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 11:41 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Nonsense. We only want to stop Facebook people from hiking. Still want to do it ourselves.
That's the inherent hypocrisy of hiking. We all want the solitude, and we all resent everyone else for doing the exact same thing we're doing. Let's stop pointing fingers and start working together to rationalize. Or we can keep, you know, doing what we're doing, which is working out awesome.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:03 pm 
guibo wrote:
That's the cost of protecting the place from the crowds. The crowds are we, I'm afraid. Makes no difference for me--the numbers have already cost me what I enjoyed about the places, so if the cost of letting the wild take over again is that it makes it impossible for me to get out to trails, the outcome is the same.
Okay, you're willing to give up reasonable access for yourself and everyone else. I'm not. Can you imagine how unbelievably crowded the hikes that are near or right off a major road would become? Are some sacrificial lambs okay? Anyway, this scenario played out with the Suiattle River Road. Some groups tried to block repairs to it, successfully for several years. Eventually they didn't get what they wanted. I am extremely glad about that.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:07 pm 
So much of the relatively easy access we have now is a result of economic conditions that no longer exist (substantial logging) or the FS attempting to minimize the extent of Wilderness Designations 40+ years ago by pushing roads up remote valleys. I don't see why that level of access should be considered sacrosanct and it seems long term the economic viability of maintaining this many long, long damage-prone roads simply for recreation isn't feasible. Off 542 for example Glacier Creek Road is one slump away from being permanently destroyed (~3 miles in). Canyon Creek Road behind Church Mountain (recently reopened after a major 2+ year repair effort) now has two spots higher up that look ready to go completely (one slump in road and another culvert blowout). But again and again I'm amazed at what the FS does manage to pull of regarding road repair. So maybe my pessimism on access isn't justified, but I'm ok with it. edit...one example I think of is the Squire Creek Road. I can recall driving to the actual TH. Now it seems every couple years the road end is getting pushed further and further back by successive landslides and washouts without any thought to road restoration. Seems like only a matter of time before many other secondary roads go this route (Sunshine Mine TH comes to mind) Might not hurt to extend the walk to Blanca Lake these days.... LOL

guibo

guibo
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:18 pm 
Are some sacrificial lambs okay?
The lambs have already been sacrificed, then cut up into little pieces, then burnt to ash, and the gods of narcissism still aren't sated. Drive up I-90 on any sunny Sunday. Dirty Harry? Overflow. Granite? Overflow. Washington? Overflow. Si, Mailbox, Teneriffe - wait, I can't type when I'm laughing this hard. Snow Lake? If someone started a valet service there, they'd make a small fortune. You can't make any of these any more overfuller than they already are.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:21 pm 
Okay, but again what happens if the FS stops repairing roads? There are trails that are right off of highways, and I can't really see the NPs discontinuing road repairs. People aren't going to quit hiking. If you think trails are uncomfortably crowded now...it would get SOOOO much worse on the trails that remained easily accessible. This is really not a good option I don't think.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:24 pm 
Oops, I was repying to slabbyd, not guibo's most recent post. Honestly I haven't been hiking much this year. I've already generally avoided west side of I-90 in recent years. Mountain Loop Highway is my nearest go to area, I'm sure that's slammed. I don't love the crowds, but I really, really don't like the idea of taking away options from everybody.

slabbyd

slabbyd
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:31 pm 
I think anyone who's lived in Western Washington for more than...10 years?...is like the proverbial frog in the pot of boiling water. This is now a major megalopolis. Solitude and wilderness are fleeting concepts. If you find it, it's probably an illusion. The U.S. is still a big big country and if you get in your car and head SE there's like an 800 mile stretch of nothing until you hit Salt Lake City. So if wilderness solitude is what we need probably best to pack up and move east old man (and no I don't mean Mazama). Of course I can't convince my wife to that! This post has probably run it's course. Can we start one about the crazy ham-fisted moderation on WH&C?

Snuffy

Snuffy
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:47 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
Anyone else find it a bit ironic that an Internet Group base on hiking that also shares info on places to go is complaining about another Internet Group that does the same thing? I mean, I know people here are better than them and possibly an elite group as well. rolleyes.gif
Yep, especially since this Internet Group has its own FB group. AND quite a few people in this Internet group help moderate WHC or are active members that help role model "appropriate" hiking behavior there.

You don't find yourself standing at the top of a mountain without having started out in the valley.
guibo

guibo
PostTue Aug 04, 2020 12:50 pm 
This is really not a good option I don't think.
My other idea is an online reservation system for parking spots, since hiking = parking. Enforcement is the weak link, but just contract out to write tickets and boot the repeat offenders.