Forum Index > Trail Talk > Wildland fire on Wenatchee Ridge
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Aug 11, 2022 3:27 pm 
When map opens it shows heat detections from MODIS/VIIRS satellites. Dark red is a detection within prior 6 hours. Looks like 2 new fires. Perhaps lightning caused.
View larger size in new window

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 8:40 am 
Posted about this in the thunder storm thread. Saw the White River start from the cabin and we had a great view of the fire on Irving from the top of Rock.

rbuzby
Attention Surplus

rbuzby
Attention Surplus
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 9:08 am 
I hope I can get a trip in early next week with minimal smoke. Should be ok as long as BC smoke stays away.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostFri Aug 12, 2022 9:29 am 
Central Washington Interagency Communications Center shows 5 fires in Chelan County. Buck Creek, 1 acre; Phelps ridge, .5 acre; Wenatchee ridge, .25 acre; White river 20 acres; Irving peak, 35 acres. All recent. Also numerous small fires in Kittitas County.

Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostSat Aug 13, 2022 12:32 pm 
The fire up Sears Creek in the White River drainage seems the most troublesome right now. It burned down slope last night with pretty strong down slope winds and gained ground towards the end of the Wenatchee ridge and lower valley. Smoke isn’t a problem right now up there other than right near the fire. It cooled off a lot last night and it was cloudy and higher humidity this morning. Even Dirtyface was tearing at the clouds.

bccarlso

bccarlso
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 2:10 pm 
Anyone know if this site keeps pretty up to date? Quite easy to navigate. I remember tracking the Dixie fire with it as a fire-fighting acquaintance was down there fighting it. https://inciweb.nwcg.gov

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Aug 15, 2022 6:37 pm 
Here's what the smoke from that area looked like from Mt. Sawyer today. Not too bad yet luckily.

gb

gb
PostTue Aug 16, 2022 7:28 am 
NWCC blogspot has an image of the White river Fire yesterday (scroll down). The fire near Rimrock Lake is quite large now at 4000+ acres. http://nwccinfo.blogspot.com/

timberghost

timberghost
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 5:27 am 
The USFS should have jumped on this right away before allowing it to grow. My buddy watched as they sat by doing nothing. You had the helicopters to drop water on this fire yet you stood back and watched. SHAME ON YOU

snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 10:31 am 
I live near this fire, there is a huge Incident Command presence set up in the Plain valley made up of wild land firefighters etc. If you’re curious as to professional response there is a public meeting tonight at our local church. Second hand information and depending on website accuracy may not give an accurate picture to those living outside/or looking to recreate in this area.

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark

Joey
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey
verrry senior member
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 5:18 pm 
I tweaked the map I posted at the start of this thread so it always shows the latest fire perimeter hosted on the NIFC server. NIFC = National Interagency Fire Center

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 5:45 pm 
timberghost wrote:
The USFS should have jumped on this right away before allowing it to grow. My buddy watched as they sat by doing nothing. You had the helicopters to drop water on this fire yet you stood back and watched. SHAME ON YOU
Damned if they do, damned if they don't. They're constantly criticized for decades of suppression - they should have let it burn. But then again we want them to suppress. which is it from day to day? Maybe they should send a poll each time there's a smoke. clown.gif

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Lazyhiker

Lazyhiker
PostThu Aug 18, 2022 8:36 pm 
As much as I hate the smoke, that area needs to burn. There’s so much deadfall and litter it’s unhealthy.